DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi, as BigTom indicated there are several of us in a similar boat.
I applied on March 10th.
The medical department have had my GP report since August 10th and I've heard nothing. That's over 16 weeks.
An advisor during a call four weeks ago told me that the GP report was "acceptable" and that there were no issues with my application.
Hi, try this number 03001231350 and use extension 252 when asked, you'll get through within 10 minutes.

Seems to be getting worse. They received my application on the 3rd September and still no medical letter. They sent a letter to my address today with a different name! They’re useless.

Thanks I just did. Got through easily and waited less than a minute.
Tried the usual number first about 4 times and no joy.
Hi All - especially Big Tom, Luna and NoAngel and others who have shown a particular interest bit I've forgotten to mention!
Just for info.
Tried to call again a very short time ago.
Got through right away with that 03001231350 ext 252 number so that works a treat. (Thanks Callumrayb)
Still no further forward though.
No update on licence or progress at all.
Still " passed on and waiting in queue for review at medical team" as they say.
Asked very nice advisor whether there would be need to attend medical but she couldn't tell me as that's a decision for the medical department, which I knew anyway.
At least I found out again that there were no issues with my application.
I'm hopefully assuming that this means not only are there no issues with gp report and my medical conditions but that there are "no issues" in terms of issuing a licence.
What does anyone else think that "no issues with your application" mean please???
16 weeks and 3 days they've had it now.
Anyway thanks all.
No news is bad news?

This seems VERY strange.

Are you HRO or is it a normal application after a DUI ban?

The timescales for everyone else seems to be fairly consistent regarding when they cash your cheque and when they contact you re a medical.

What exactly do they tell you when you speak with them?
They just tell me its been scanned and hasn't been reviewed yet. and as of last week its priority,unfortunately they don't ever tell me anything other than I need to make a complaint. My own doctor has told me to send a letter from lawyer. I take it I'm the only one on here this has happened to.

They just tell me its been scanned and hasn't been reviewed yet. and as of last week its priority,unfortunately they don't ever tell me anything other than I need to make a complaint. My own doctor has told me to send a letter from lawyer. I take it I'm the only one on here this has happened to.
I'm in the same boat as you, only two and a half weeks apart in our application times so you're not the only one.

Hi. I sent my application off end if feb 21. Dvla recieved and scanned it 9th March.Up to nowi have received nothing and its 1st December. I've rang many many times and emailed a complaint. I'm really fed up of it all.
Jesus! Are you on a one year license or applying after your ban?

No just applied after a ban although I havnt drive for 5 years.
That’s ridiculous mate, they scanned mine in on the 17th November after receiving it on the 3rd September. I don’t reckon I’ll be attending a medical till January. All you can do is keep on at them, surely you should be a priority for them now!

No just applied after a ban although I havnt drive for 5 years.
Hi, I've no bans, convictions or offences.
Some medical issues but these have not been an issue at all in my previous two applications.
I'm also still waiting on word to even attend medical.
For some reason ours gave not managed "to get to the top of the pile" to be dealt with although DVLA state that they deal with applications on a first come first served basis and many others on here have applied well after us and been dealt with so it's perplexing really.
As I said my application is complete and with no issues so according to the advisors it's just because of the overall delays... which seems to contradict the first come first served principal?

Last edited:
NileR Really hate to may be the voice of doom but those governmental bureaucrats refused to acknowledge my ban was removed for seven months. Give them s**t , kick up a storm. Three complaints in. (PS Licence re-instated pretty quickly).

NileR Really hate to may be the voice of doom but those governmental bureaucrats refused to acknowledge my ban was removed for seven months. Give them s**t , kick up a storm. Three complaints in. (PS Licence re-instated pretty quickly).
Hi, thanks. I've thought about complaining but I'm concerned that this may just aggravate the situation and make it worse for me.
Additionally, they are a government organisation and they could well do this behind closed doors and I would never find out the truth.
I just don't know what to do for the best really.
I also don't know or think if I actually have a genuine cause for complaint?
Except for the timescale involved (which has affected hundreds of thousands of people) and perhaps that others (on this forum) have had theirs reviewed before mine despite applying after mine.
I think it may just come across as a moan rather than a complaint.
Furthermore, others have complained and heard nothing, not even had their complaint acknowledged nor acted upon.
I just dunno... I keep telling myself I'll hear tomorrow through the post or through the online checker.
Thanks anyway, I'm thinking about it and will think about doing it next week but then again... 🤔😂🙏

.Rolls up sleeves and coughs:
Yes the DVLA is a government organisation. They should be held accountable. DWP (for all their +++) stepped up - somewhat.
You're in "the system". They know you. What's the worst that could happen? Another delay?
Whatever you decide, all the best x

.Rolls up sleeves and coughs:
Yes the DVLA is a government organisation. They should be held accountable. DWP (for all their +++) stepped up - somewhat.
You're in "the system". They know you. What's the worst that could happen? Another delay?
Whatever you decide, all the best x
Yeah, thanks I know.
Another delay is what I'm worried about.
You've tried...
Thanks 🙏♥️👍

Yeah, thanks I know.
Another delay is what I'm worried about.
You've tried...
Thanks 🙏♥️👍
Something to try - call them again, tell them you are fine with driving under S88 in the UK at the moment, but you need to work in Spain (or another foreign country) in January. Say you cannot drive abroad under S88 so you might lose your job. This should see you 'promoted' to a priority case.

I'm not sure how much further up the queue a priority takes you, it seems that every man and his dog is a 'key worker', so the priority queue might actually be longer than the non-priority!:rolleyes:

Something to try - call them again, tell them you are fine with driving under S88 in the UK at the moment, but you need to work in Spain (or another foreign country) in January. Say you cannot drive abroad under S88 so you might lose your job. This should see you 'promoted' to a priority case.

I'm not sure how much further up the queue a priority takes you, it seems that every man and his dog is a 'key worker', so the priority queue might actually be longer than the non-priority!:rolleyes:
Hi, thanks for the suggestion.
I think if they cross referenced my med history they would soon find out I'm unable to work so... 😭🙏

Hello all,

I was banned in May 2009 for 24 months, with a 6 month reduction for completing the drink drive rehabilitation course, which I completed. As such, my licence is due to be reinstated in early November, subject to a medical examination.

This concerns me greatly as my alcohol consumption is quite regular, although not excessive. Common sense dictates that total abstinence is advisable and I'd like to allow myself as long as possible, within reason, before booking the medical.

DVLA have posted form D1 to me this week and inform me that upon my returning it to them they will be in contact with regard to arranging a medical. Ideally, I would like this to happen not sooner than 2 - 2.5 months down the line i.e late October.

My question is this. Should I 'sit on' form D1 and post a few weeks from now ? Or if I post it in now, will I have the option of booking a medical 2 - 2.5 months from now, or might it happen as quickly in a week or two ?

I am sure that many of you have been in this position. Could you please advise the timescales and procedures from returning form D1 to DVLA Swansea and physically arranging a date for the medical.

Thanks in anticipation.

daracam
I would post it straight away .
I am still waiting for my licence ,it should have been returned 7 April .
had the blood test paid for by myself ,also completed the impaired drivers course paid for by myself .paid the fine £360 . Had a medical by my doctor as they paid. for. Last month .
all clear on the blood test back in February .as I stopped drinking altogether .
rang the courts . Apparently Dvla are a law unto theirself . So can’t see why you go to court really . Just money making . Still waiting

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off