DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi, that's funny you should say that.
I've noticed maybe two or three posts on here over the past few days that have said he has replied to them about their individual cases (which as we know he had not been) and I had been wondering whether to try.
The issue is that apart from the generic timescale issue there are no reasons for complaint (I think??) and I don't know if there is anything he would be to do.
I would think it might come across as a moan rather than an actual complaint or as an actual issue.
What do you think?
I'm planning to call this Monday as it will be 16 weeks to the day and four weeks since I last spoke to an advisor.
I'm planning to ask about procedure in terms of likelyhood / neccessity of being asked to attend medical or just issuing licence as this would give me more optimism in terms of timescale though I know the advisors cannot make decisions or speak for anyone so I'm at a loss really as to what to do.
If I need to wait for medical, then results, then processing and decision it could easily be February or March or Easter egg time though a lot of recent posts are saying they are getting theirs done quickly.
It's pot luck as they say and I always seem to get the pot with the burned beans or the scrambled egg😋
I'd probably get more luck if I contacted Tim Burton the director, the DVLA are like one of his films atm.
If you have the email address then send him your paperwork and the complete outline of your case ..😉

I've noticed maybe two or three posts on here over the past few days that have said he has replied to them about their individual cases (which as we know he had not been) and I had been wondering whether to try.
The issue is that apart from the generic timescale issue there are no reasons for complaint (I think??) and I don't know if there is anything he would be to do.
I would think it might come across as a moan rather than an actual complaint or as an actual issue.
What do you think?
I'm planning to call this Monday as it will be 16 weeks to the day and four weeks since I last spoke to an advisor.
I'm planning to ask about procedure in terms of likelyhood / neccessity of being asked to attend medical or just issuing licence as this would give me more optimism in terms of timescale though I know the advisors cannot make decisions or speak for anyone so I'm at a loss really as to what to do.
If I need to wait for medical, then results, then processing and decision it could easily be February or March or Easter egg time though a lot of recent posts are saying they are getting theirs done quickly.
It's pot luck as they say and I always seem to get the pot with the burned beans or the scrambled egg😋
I'd probably get more luck if I contacted Tim Burton the director, the DVLA are like one of his films atm.
A nightmare before Christmas 😂😂😂😂🥴🤦🏻‍♂️

What do you think?
Why do you think it has taken so long NileR?

I applied on the 15th July 2021, had my medical on 30th September 2021, phoned 4 weeks later and was told everything was on the system and being processed. Heard nothing. Called 2 weeks later and was told that the Doctor had not returned a form called CDT DR1. Called the Doctor who said they had, called the DVLA who said if they required anything else I would hear from them. Got pissed off at this stage so emailed everyone I cold think of on the following email addresses.

tony.ackroyd@dvla.gsi.gov.uk
rachael.cunningham@dvla.gsi.gov.uk
dave.perry@dvla.gsi.gov.uk
Julie.Lennard@dvla.gsi.gov.uk
tim.burton@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

These are publicly available on the web, which is where I got them, so I'm not breaking any laws posting them. And surprise surprise, got a letter dated 16th November 2021 saying they were writing to my GP, which I knew they would do.

I spoke with my GP a few weeks ago so the ball is now in their court.

I had hoped to have a licence and a car before Christmas but this now looks very unlikely.

I applied on the 15th July 2021, had my medical on 30th September 2021, phoned 4 weeks later and was told everything was on the system and being processed. Heard nothing. Called 2 weeks later and was told that the Doctor had not returned a form called CDT DR1. Called the Doctor who said they had, called the DVLA who said if they required anything else I would hear from them. Got pissed off at this stage so emailed everyone I cold think of on the following email addresses.

These are publicly available on the web, which is where I got them, so I'm not breaking any laws posting them. And surprise surprise, got a letter dated 16th November 2021 saying they were writing to my GP, which I knew they would do.

I had hoped to have a licence and a car before Christmas but this now looks very unlikely.
This timescale doesn’t sound unusually long ( ridiculous I know). For example, I applied 3rd March , got licence 32 July after medical / GP follow up . Some people have waited much longer . Still, I understand your frustration. Everyone on here has experienced delays .

This timescale doesn’t sound unusually long ( ridiculous I know). For example, I applied 3rd March , got licence 32 July after medical / GP follow up . Some people have waited much longer . Still, I understand your frustration. Everyone on here has experienced delays .
32 July?

I also experienced this back and forth with DVLA saying they’d not received stuff the Dr insisted they had sent . I do hope you hear soon 😀

Hi Luna.
I suppose I have what they could say is a complex medical history although it isn't if you know me or my case.
I am bi polar and gave a neurological illness though this is non progressive. I also have an admitted history of cannabis for three weeks in 2019.
None of the above have been any issue for my previous two yearly licence issues. Only the cannabis issue has resulted in any form of medical. Only the bi polar has resulted in a questionnaire to the consultant psychiatrist two years ago and for the neurological illness I was only advised not to drive for three months and there was no talk of DVLA at all. Neither have DVLA contacted the consultant neurologist at any time.
So in short, as I said earlier nothing in my history has been any issue at all to the process.
I contacted the neurologist secretary and the psychiatrists secretary last month to enquire if they had any recent requests from DVLA thinking this may be a cause for delay but was told they have not done this.I was also told by neorologist secretary that the consultant would not be able to provide DVLA with a report because they haven't seen me since 2015 and I would another assessment by them.
I have no convictions, not classed as HRO etc and I do not drink.
So I don't understand what is different from this application than the others - there is none medically.
They already have my GP report.
My other concern is that even before saying I need to attend a medical they could easily say they will need to write to neurologist and psychiatrist which would be a nightmare as I am no longer a patient there and would have to wait months for an appointment, probably 6 months at least for both.
The best outcome I think would be not to attend a medical as they have GP report though I doubt this aspect.
As I said, I simply do not understand the delay as nothing has been issue before.
DVLA tell you that all applications are looked at in the order that they receive them so if this is the case then why are lots of people who applied well after me had medicals and / or licence issued?
My case seems to go against this unless I take in medical history but the fact this has never been an issue contradicts this so I don't understand at all really and at a loss.
Thanks
NileR

Last edited:
If you have the email address then send him your paperwork and the complete outline of your case ..😉
Yes I think I might well do that after all.
I will call on Monday probably and will e mail if no further forward.
Unfortunately I did not keep a copy of my paperwork as I did not think it would be necessary.
Thanks. All the best🙏

Hi Luna.
I suppose I have what they could say is a complex medical history although it isn't if you know me or my case.
I am bi polar and gave a neurological illness though this is non progressive. I also have an admitted history of cannabis for three weeks in 2019.
None of the above have been any issue for my previous two yearly licence issues. Only the cannabis issue has resulted in any form of medical. Only the bi polar has resulted in a questionnaire to the consultant psychiatrist two years ago and for the neurological illness I was only advised not to drive for three months and there was no talk of DVLA at all. Neither have DVLA contacted the consultant neurologist at any time.
So in short, as I said earlier nothing in my history has been any issue at all to the process.
I contacted the neurologist secretary and the psychiatrists secretary last month to enquire if they had any recent requests from DVLA thinking this may be a cause for delay but was told they have not done this.I was also told by neorologist secretary that the consultant would not be able to provide DVLA with a report because they haven't seen me since 2015 and I would another assessment by them.
I have no convictions, not classed as HRO etc and I do not drink.
So I don't understand what is different from this application than the others - there is none medically.
They already have my GP report.
My other concern is that even before saying I need to attend a medical they could easily say they will need to write to neurologist and psychiatrist which would be a nightmare as I am no longer a patient there and would have to wait months for an appointment, probably 6 months at least for both.
The best outcome I think would be not to attend a medical as they have GP report though I doubt this aspect.
As I said, I simply do not understand the delay as nothing has been issue before.
DVLA tell you that all applications are looked at in the order that they receive them so if this is the case then why are lots of people who applied well after me had medicals and / or licence issued?
My case seems to go against this unless I take in medical history but the fact this has never been an issue contradicts this so I don't understand at all really and at a loss.
Thanks
NileR
Yes, it does seem strange, but it could be something as simple as a different medical advisor at the DVLA reviewing your application this time and putting their onw spin on it. I think a lot of DVLA decisions are subjective and although we all tick the same boxes, some people get bees in their bonnets about different things.

Yes, it does seem strange, but it could be something as simple as a different medical advisor at the DVLA reviewing your application this time and putting their onw spin on it. I think a lot of DVLA decisions are subjective and although we all tick the same boxes, some people get bees in their bonnets about different things.
Hi Luna, you may well be correct here.
I was hoping that the delay was also due to my non progressive medical issues (bi polar/ neurological/no further drug use) being considered going into my third medical application and possible issue of longer licence.
I think you have a point though.
I'm hoping that the point you made is beneficial to me though and not a negative for them to say not to issue a licence at all though there are no changes to my conditions and previous applications.
Being DVLA of course (and possibly a different advisor) any negative decision would be completely futile in appealing.
Hopefully when I call next week I might be further forward. If I am not then I think I may well email Mr Burton.
Thanks for providing the addresses as to whom I can contact, I very much appreciate your help.
I don't know who the others are but I know who TB and JL are.
Given that others have very recently said they have had personal responses regarding their cases from TB I'm hoping that he will be able to help.
All the best

Last edited:
Hi Luna, you may well be correct here.
I was hoping that the delay was also due to my non progressive medical issues (bi polar/ neurological/no further drug use) being considered going into my third medical application and possible issue of longer licence.
I think you have a point though.
I'm hoping that the point you made is beneficial to me though and not a negative for them to say not to issue a licence at all though there are no changes to my conditions and previous applications.
Being DVLA of course (and possibly a different advisor) any negative decision would be completely futile in appealing.
Hopefully when I call next week I might be further forward. If I am not then I think I may well email Mr Burton.
Thanks for providing the addresses as to whom I can contact, I very much appreciate your help.
I don't know who the others are but I know who TB and JL are.
Given that others have very recently said they have had personal responses regarding their cases from TB I'm hoping that he will be able to help.
All the best
Well no reply for me from Tim Burton. In fact no reply from any of them. The only email I have ever had from the DVLA is when they wanted additional information from me re my Subject Access Request.

I’ve heard people say 10 weeks and 11 weeks to wait for the medical letter. Had anyone waited longer? I was hoping now that the strikes were over that the waiting times would go down not up.
Hi. I sent my application off end if feb 21. Dvla recieved and scanned it 9th March.Up to nowi have received nothing and its 1st December. I've rang many many times and emailed a complaint. I'm really fed up of it all.

Yes I think I might well do that after all.
I will call on Monday probably and will e mail if no further forward.
Unfortunately I did not keep a copy of my paperwork as I did not think it would be necessary.
Thanks. All the best🙏
@NileR have you got through to them yet?

As mentioned before, I'm in a similar predicament to you. I'm driving on a S88, my 1 yr licence ran out in July, I applied in April, they wrote to my GP in July (who replied straight away), they then wrote again in September as they hadn't received a reply...???!?!

I went through the questionnaire with my GP on the phone in September, and she posted it back the same day. I spoke to DVLA a week or so ago, they say they scanned the GP report on the system on 26th October. I told them I'd be calling every 2 days after she told me in no uncertain terms that I shouldn't call them for an update as they would get in touch when they had any further info.

I eventually got a letter from DVLA asking me for a medical this week, I spoke to the relevant Doctor and am booked in on 16th December.... Presume that will take another month or so after the medical for them to issue me with another year's licence!

As mentioned before, I'm in a similar predicament to you. I'm driving on a S88, my 1 yr licence ran out in July, I applied in April, they wrote to my GP in July (who replied straight away), they then wrote again in September as they hadn't received a reply...???!?!

I went through the questionnaire with my GP on the phone in September, and she posted it back the same day. I spoke to DVLA a week or so ago, they say they scanned the GP report on the system on 26th October. I told them I'd be calling every 2 days after she told me in no uncertain terms that I shouldn't call them for an update as they would get in touch when they had any further info.

I eventually got a letter from DVLA asking me for a medical this week, I spoke to the relevant Doctor and am booked in on 16th December.... Presume that will take another month or so after the medical for them to issue me with another year's licence!
I got my licence after 2 weeks of medical. Also I emailed them telling them i needed to get a job as a key worker. Worth a try

Hi all Grrr, so get all your frustration. A formal complaint is worth a try AND makes you feel a tad better for having vented. The fact of me having made three (only two replied to though) seemed to bump me up the queue. Although the Chief Exec and CMO didn't deign to reply to my emails - how rude of them .

Read in a very lengthy Parliamentary investigation report that the IT used by the medical department is extremely outdated and not compatible with the other systems used hence the delays in scanning and uploading. WTAF in nearly 2022.

Last edited:

Hi Big Tom,
I've literally just saw this. Thanks for thinking of me!
Tried a dozen times yesterday but couldn't get through.
Will be trying again in about an hour or so.

Hi. I sent my application off end if feb 21. Dvla recieved and scanned it 9th March.Up to nowi have received nothing and its 1st December. I've rang many many times and emailed a complaint. I'm really fed up of it all.
Hi, as BigTom indicated there are several of us in a similar boat.
I applied on March 10th.
The medical department have had my GP report since August 10th and I've heard nothing. That's over 16 weeks.
An advisor during a call four weeks ago told me that the GP report was "acceptable" and that there were no issues with my application.

This seems VERY strange.

Are you HRO or is it a normal application after a DUI ban?

The timescales for everyone else seems to be fairly consistent regarding when they cash your cheque and when they contact you re a medical.

What exactly do they tell you when you speak with them?

Hi all Grrr, so get all your frustration. A formal complaint is worth a try AND makes you feel a tad better for having vented. The fact of me having made three (only two replied to though) seemed to bump me up the queue. Although the Chief Exec and CMO didn't deign to reply to my emails - how rude of them .

Read in a very lengthy Parliamentary investigation report that the IT used by the medical department is extremely outdated and not compatible with the other systems used hence the delays in scanning and uploading. WTAF in nearly 2022.
How replied to you RSC as I fired off 3 emails with no replies from anyone?

Email addresses would be appreciated.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off