DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Some of us are in the same situation and there seems to be no consistency as to timescales though (overall) expect a good wait.
Some people's are quicker than others and all cases are different.
In my case I applied on March 10th and my GP returned his report to DVLA and this was received by the medical department on 10th August which is 13 weeks and 2 days do far.
I have had no word yet about even attending a medical.
Compared to me you have been lucky as I applied well before you and you have actually had word of a medical and actually attended one!.
EDIT - I misread your post, sorry.
I didn't realise you applied in 2020 and had actual medical on April.
I read it as applied in April. Sorry.
NileR.
My situation is similar to yours @NileR

I am on a medical 1 year licence, it expired in July.

Got the forms through and returned them in April.
Beginning of July had letter saying wrote to GP - spoke GP end of July and they had returned forms
Beginning of September, DVLA wrote saying not received from GP so they wrote again.
End of September called GP, actually got through to my actual GP and she went through forms on phone with me.
12th November, still not heard a thing.

Thank God for section 88 is all I can say!

My situation is similar to yours @NileR

I am on a medical 1 year licence, it expired in July.

Got the forms through and returned them in April.
Beginning of July had letter saying wrote to GP - spoke GP end of July and they had returned forms
Beginning of September, DVLA wrote saying not received from GP so they wrote again.
End of September called GP, actually got through to my actual GP and she went through forms on phone with me.
12th November, still not heard a thing.

Thank God for section 88 is all I can say!
Hi Big Tom. Thanks for the message. Yeah, we're on a roughly similar timescale though maybe 6 weeks apart. It's good your GP was quick to respond, mines took 10 weeks exactly to complete the forms.
Can you remember if they asked you many questions when they went through it with you? I remember the receptionist told me it was about 18 - 20 pages and I think another said it was about 4, so quite a difference.
I was lucky that I didn't have to go through the whole "lost form" fiasco - that must have been a nightmare for you and added maybe 6 weeks or something.
Yeah, good old S88... not the same as having real licence back though, it's like trying diet coke to me... ain't nothin' like the really thing.

Last edited:
Hi Big Tom. Thanks for the message. Yeah, we're on a roughly similar timescale though maybe 6 weeks apart. It's good your GP was quick to respond, mines took 10 weeks exactly to complete the forms.
Can you remember if they asked you many questions when they went through it with you? I remember the receptionist told me it was about 18 - 20 pages and I think another said it was about 4, so quite a difference.
I was lucky that I didn't have to go through the whole "lost form" fiasco - that must have been a nightmare for you and added maybe 6 weeks or something.
Yeah, good old S88... not the same as having real licence back though, it's like trying diet coke to me... ain't nothin' like the really thing.
No, it's only about 4 pages long. The receptionist is probably bigging up her workload!

Yeah s88 OK but causes issues with proving you have the authority to drive. Was offered a new job but needed to provide my valid licence, when I said I couldn't they weren't happy. Was going to go on holiday also, but need to hire a car - and I can't!!!!

No, it's only about 4 pages long. The receptionist is probably bigging up her workload!

Yeah s88 OK but causes issues with proving you have the authority to drive. Was offered a new job but needed to provide my valid licence, when I said I couldn't they weren't happy. Was going to go on holiday also, but need to hire a car - and I can't!!!!
Hi, Thanks for the info about the GP report, that's good to know, 10 weeks to fill in a 4 page form... I suppose it was down to Covid and our exact area officially being the worst affected in the country - sods law.
Yeah, S88... Real hassle trying to get insurance because my licence has officially expired and they wouldn't insure.
In my glove box I carry the DVLA letter saying may be entitled under S88 and I wrote the date of my being declared fit to drive by GP in case stopped by cops though I still expect the Spanish Inquisition as any checks will say licence expired and no current driving entitlement.
I was also going to get a car but no chance without physical licence... don't think I'll bother now even when it's issued.
I only drive around 200 miles a year now, its just the feeling of empowerment and the convenience because I'm disabled.

Having an insane amount of bs happen to me right now.
DVLA claim theyve sent the medical questionaire to my GP, twice.

My GP hasnt received either letter.

Cant get through to DVLA, ever (out of 250 calls, 3 got to the prompts, but then they disconnect the call anyway!), to ask them wtf is going on, the lettter from them said they had the right address so that cant be wrong....

Either theyre lying to me about sending the letters, making mistakes each time, or its getting lost.

Has anyone had any luck with having a solicitor send a letter to them? Making a legal threat to get them to do their job?

I dont know what kind of legal threat that could be made but Id imagine someone has thought about it ?

A different story from your's, but it just shows it can be done, although you might need to waive anonymity.

This was also the ombudsman not the courts.

Having an insane amount of bs happen to me right now.
DVLA claim theyve sent the medical questionaire to my GP, twice.

My GP hasnt received either letter.

Cant get through to DVLA, ever (out of 250 calls, 3 got to the prompts, but then they disconnect the call anyway!), to ask them wtf is going on, the lettter from them said they had the right address so that cant be wrong....

Either theyre lying to me about sending the letters, making mistakes each time, or its getting lost.

Has anyone had any luck with having a solicitor send a letter to them? Making a legal threat to get them to do their job?

I dont know what kind of legal threat that could be made but Id imagine someone has thought about i

Hi people,

Thought I'd give an update on my timescale experiences. I am on a 1 Year License, which expired in May 2021 (thank god for section 88!).

Forms completed April 2021
GP contacted 15th May 2021
GP replied mid-June 2021
Medical letter received 11th August
Medical booked 11th October
License issued today 17th November 2021

It's only a 1 Year license, which I'm a bit peeved at, as it's my third one. I sail through the medicals and have no issues with my GP (he's been brilliant in fact). I am thinking of appealing, but at the same time think what is the point? I know they can issue these licenses for up to 6 years, so I will probably just forget having to deal with these clowns again for another year (at which time they may be more organised... maybe!).

So I guess the summary for my timescale is that I was driving under section 88 for 6 months.... so thats a long delay. And the time from medical to decision was 5 weeks.

Hope that helps.

Cheers and good luck all

Hi people,

Thought I'd give an update on my timescale experiences. I am on a 1 Year License, which expired in May 2021 (thank god for section 88!).

Forms completed April 2021
GP contacted 15th May 2021
GP replied mid-June 2021
Medical letter received 11th August
Medical booked 11th October
License issued today 17th November 2021

It's only a 1 Year license, which I'm a bit peeved at, as it's my third one. I sail through the medicals and have no issues with my GP (he's been brilliant in fact). I am thinking of appealing, but at the same time think what is the point? I know they can issue these licenses for up to 6 years, so I will probably just forget having to deal with these clowns again for another year (at which time they may be more organised... maybe!).

So I guess the summary for my timescale is that I was driving under section 88 for 6 months.... so thats a long delay. And the time from medical to decision was 5 weeks.

Hope that helps.

Cheers and good luck all
Congratulations on getting through another renewal. Hopefully the next renewal will cut the ties to doing the medicals.
I’ve just got my first license back for one year and will have to go through this process next November. Really hoping it’s not a 5 month process.
DVLA need to get their shit together.

No idea but I would certainly do it today, now and then call the medical team number to let them know what you have done (yes, it might take between 20 and 100 attempts to get through, but if you are desperate you will stick at it.)

The Doctors report may well be with them just now and they will be waiting on the CDT results, but any contact cannot hurt.

Let us know what the DVLA say to you please.

Thanks.
Hi everyone, I had my medical on the 27th October. I didn’t phone and confirm
Appointment and time with Dvla but I managed to phone today and get through, they have received my blood results and my questionnaire from doctor on the 9th of November. The man I spoke to said they have everything they need it’s just a case of waiting for dvla to update results on website and send me a letter but he didn’t have a time frame for that.

Thanks kindly never thought i would get there at times.
hey, wondering if you can give me an update on how your extended test goes, ive just recently booked my theory but im
nervous for the practical after nearly 4 years of not driving!! im
also not entirely sure i need to sit an extended one as i just had a disclosure scotland come through (new job) and while “resit driving test” is on there, “extended test” isnt… anyone able to point me in the right direction to find out??

TIA ☺️

hey, wondering if you can give me an update on how your extended test goes, ive just recently booked my theory but im
also not entirely sure i need to sit an extended one as i just had a disclosure scotland come through (new job) and while “resit driving test” is on there, “extended test” isnt… anyone able to point me in the right direction to find out??

TIA ☺️

What offence (s) were you convicted of? If it included dangerous driving then you certainly do have to do an extended test.

If it was Drink driving with examples of bad driving and / or a nasty accident then it is possible that the court ordered an extended test, but you would have been informed of that at the court hearing when you were sentenced.

If it was a ‘simple’ drink driving then it is most unlikely that you were ordered to sit an extended test.

TIA ☺️
I have a motorbike at the moment and did a CDT test but the plan is to do my full bike test in the new year.

What offence (s) were you convicted of? If it included dangerous driving then you certainly do have to do an extended test.

If it was Drink driving with examples of bad driving and / or a nasty accident then it is possible that the court ordered an extended test, but you would have been informed of that at the court hearing when you were sentenced.

If it was a ‘simple’ drink driving then it is most unlikely that you were ordered to sit an extended test.
A few.. drink driving, dangerous driving, 3 year ban for both… need to phone the DVLA anyway as I did a paid DD course to reduce the ban by 9 months, it only seemed to reduce the dangerous driving when I checked my driving licence online, which now after getting my licence back has somehow went back up to 3 years and the drink driving period has changed to “pending court sentencing” when it should be 2 years 9 months 😅 bit of a shambles the DVLA at times although I cant fault them on their timescale with doing my medical etc - if it puts anyones mind at ease I was about 3 weeks between going for my medical and getting my licence, had a reading of 1.0% however I wasn’t a big drinker at all before abstaining for a month and a half anyway (lost my licence as a silly young teenager who made a huge mistake), I did have one glass of wine with dinner about three weeks before my test which i told the doc about and did not have any mental health issues etc, although I was involved in a crash. Hope this helps someone who was in my position a couple months ago scouring every page of this forum for answers - glad to now be a part of it 😊

A different story from your's, but it just shows it can be done, although you might need to waive anonymity.

This was also the ombudsman not the courts.

This involves the DVLA actually responding. Had a very helpful chat with the Ombudsmans Office who were very clear that they cannot get involved until the DVLA have replied to a Level 3 complaint. They did reply to my Level 1 and 2 but have been sitting on L3 for months now.

A few.. drink driving, dangerous driving, 3 year ban for both… need to phone the DVLA anyway as I did a paid DD course to reduce the ban by 9 months, it only seemed to reduce the dangerous driving when I checked my driving licence online, which now after getting my licence back has somehow went back up to 3 years and the drink driving period has changed to “pending court sentencing” when it should be 2 years 9 months 😅 bit of a shambles the DVLA at times although I cant fault them on their timescale with doing my medical etc - if it puts anyones mind at ease I was about 3 weeks between going for my medical and getting my licence, had a reading of 1.0% however I wasn’t a big drinker at all before abstaining for a month and a half anyway (lost my licence as a silly young teenager who made a huge mistake), I did have one glass of wine with dinner about three weeks before my test which i told the doc about and did not have any mental health issues etc, although I was involved in a crash. Hope this helps someone who was in my position a couple months ago scouring every page of this forum for answers - glad to now be a part of it 😊
As your convictions included dangerous driving, you definitely have to do an extended test.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off