DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Yes I did. I called them and typed in my medical appointment time and date. Thanks for giving me hope. 🙂
Just to keep this in line with what the DVLA are saying, they give 6-10 weeks as the timescale they are aiming for.
I waiting 10 weeks, then received a letter saying they are writing to my GP. Therefore I had my medical on 19th July and I’m still waiting for my license.
Best of luck to you, I really hope they don’t contact your GP and you get your license back before Christmas! Hang in there.

Yeah did you ring the dvla to confirm your medical appointment on the automated line?

As long as you do that 4 - 5 weeks max after your medical you will have your license back!
My understanding is that you are asked to confirm the appointment being made as soon as you make it i.e before the medical.

My understanding is that you are asked to confirm the appointment being made as soon as you make it i.e before the medical.
Yeah everyone has to do this, so saying that as long as you do it then it will be 4-5 weeks max is not accurate.

Just to keep this in line with what the DVLA are saying, they give 6-10 weeks as the timescale they are aiming for.
I waiting 10 weeks, then received a letter saying they are writing to my GP. Therefore I had my medical on 19th July and I’m still waiting for my license.
Best of luck to you, I really hope they don’t contact your GP and you get your license back before Christmas! Hang in there.
Thanks alot.

4-5 weeks max? I said before I've been waiting 12 weeks. False info, not everyone's case is the same I guess..
Everyone’s case is indeed different. My licence was returned approximately 14 weeks after the medical .
I got my licence back 13 weeks after my medical. This included delays with DVLA acknowledging receipt of medical results , and them then writing to my GP. The GP returned form 22/6 . I got my licence 30/7. I’ve been following this forum for months and don’t recall anyone reporting decisions being made in 4 to 5 weeks. This is not to say this cannot happen , but if it goes way over this , do not lose heart . They will process things but , in my experience, at a slow pace . My advice to anyone waiting is to progress chase : eg check papers/ results received , and check GP has responded etc .

Everyone’s case is indeed different. My licence was returned approximately 14 weeks after the medical .

I got my licence back 13 weeks after my medical. This included delays with DVLA acknowledging receipt of medical results , and them then writing to my GP. The GP returned form 22/6 . I got my licence 30/7. I’ve been following this forum for months and don’t recall anyone reporting decisions being made in 4 to 5 weeks. This is not to say this cannot happen , but if it goes way over this , do not lose heart . They will process things but , in my experience, at a slow pace . My advice to anyone waiting is to progress chase : eg check papers/ results received , and check GP has responded etc .
Thank you.
my GP has sent the papers off with a recent LFT. So I hope to receive my license in the next 4 weeks. Taking it to a 15 week process post medical (25 weeks in total). That’s with everything going to plan anyway!

If you read my original response I said IF they do not have to write to your GP then it will only take 4 - 5 weeks and I agree everyones cases are different

For me sent d1 form 19th May
Medical 23rd Aug
5th October received letter from dvla stating they are writing to my doctor. Ban ended end of July!

Just logged onto the DVLA website for the 3rd time today to check my licence update............and full licence has been issued from tomorrow. It expires in September 2024 but that's when i need to renew my photo licence anyway so guessing i've passed with flying colours and got a 10 year one

In total shock at the minute!

Date applied : 04/06/21
Cheque cashed: 19/08/21
Ban ended: 26/08/21
Letter to book medical: 03/09/21
Had medical 24/09/21
Licence issued 13/10/21

I'll be more confident when i receive my physical licence through the post though and receive all the letters from the DVLA regarding CDT scores etc.

Reading everyone else's posts on here i wasn't expecting mine back this side of Christmas.

I had a reading of 98 in breath and was disqualified for 2 years taken down to 18 months after the drink driving course and 60 hours community service. I had an accident when i got arrested but no one was hurt or involved.

I was honest in my medical about everything (the accident, last drink was 2 pints on 10/09/21 and i consume on average 10-20 units of alcohol per month and drank more than 6 units at one sitting in the last year 4 times. Never had any issues with alcohol, drugs or depression. Never seen my DR regarding alcohol)

This forum has been so helpful for the last 18 months. Every question I've thought of I've found answers to on here.

Just logged onto the DVLA website for the 3rd time today to check my licence update............and full licence has been issued from tomorrow. It expires in September 2024 but that's when i need to renew my photo licence anyway so guessing i've passed with flying colours and got a 10 year one

Had medical 24/09/21
Licence issued 13/10/21

I'll be more confident when i receive my physical licence through the post though and receive all the letters from the DVLA regarding CDT scores etc.

Reading everyone else's posts on here i wasn't expecting mine back this side of Christmas.

I had a reading of 98 in breath and was disqualified for 2 years taken down to 18 months after the drink driving course and 60 hours community service. I had an accident when i got arrested but no one was hurt or involved.

I was honest in my medical about everything (the accident, last drink was 2 pints on 10/09/21 and i consume on average 10-20 units of alcohol per month and drank more than 6 units at one sitting in the last year 4 times. Never had any issues with alcohol, drugs or depression. Never seen my DR regarding alcohol)

This forum has been so helpful for the last 18 months. Every question I've thought of I've found answers to on here.
Congratulations!! Finally put this chapter to bed and move on.

Had medical 24/09/21
Licence issued 13/10/21

Congrats 🎉

Hi All,
Am I correct in my understanding that the PCS staff in the medical section are currently on strike and that this is a four week plan that began on 2nd August?
I've not heard it anywhere or read it mentioned on this forum - I just happened to look it up online as there is an issue with the license checker.
Sods law, my licence was hopefully due to be looked at from today.
Scunnered, waiting another three weeks potentially which will be 13 weeks at medical dept.

Hi All,
Am I correct in my understanding that the PCS staff in the medical section are currently on strike and that this is a four week plan that began on 2nd August?
I've not heard it anywhere or read it mentioned on this forum - I just happened to look it up online as there is an issue with the license checker.
Scunnered, waiting another three weeks potentially which will be 13 weeks at medical dept.
Hiya. I just spoke to DVLA at half 9 ( yeah I know amazing I got through)and they transferred me to the medical team. Think it's still BAU there.

Hiya. I just spoke to DVLA at half 9 ( yeah I know amazing I got through)and they transferred me to the medical team. Think it's still BAU there.
Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply.
There is obviously some staff there then, I know that not all staff are PCS members.
When I looked online it definitely stated (from PCS themselves) that there will be 4 weeks strike action beginning 2nd August.
The weekly updates have not been updated yet and are still showing 2nd August and the licence checker is down - we'll both down when I last checked 10 mins ago.
I was just hoping it would be updated to 10th for processing as that's when med dept have had my licence from.
I'll try all day to check if any changes.
Wow - you got through at 9 39am👏
Thanks again. Cheers.

Hi All,
The strike has been ongoing for several months, and discussed on here.
He last I heard, they were having a further ballot on renewed strike action a week or so ago.

Given that the majority for strike action is a minimum of 50%, and the result of the last ballot was 50.3% in favour, we can only hope that some have become fed up and vote against!

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply.
There is obviously some staff there then, I know that not all staff are PCS members.
When I looked online it definitely stated (from PCS themselves) that there will be 4 weeks strike action beginning 2nd August.
The weekly updates have not been updated yet and are still showing 2nd August and the licence checker is down - we'll both down when I last checked 10 mins ago.
I was just hoping it would be updated to 10th for processing as that's when med dept have had my licence from.
I'll try all day to check if any changes.
Wow - you got through at 9 39am👏
Thanks again. Cheers.
Hi NileR

I just accessed the licence checker and it worked okay for me.

Could be a problem at your end.

What if any, message do you get trying to access?

Here's the link I use to access.

The strike has been ongoing for several months, and discussed on here.
He last I heard, they were having a further ballot on renewed strike action a week or so ago.

Given that the majority for strike action is a minimum of 50%, and the result of the last ballot was 50.3% in favour, we can only hope that some have become fed up and vote against!
Yeah, I've seen it spoken of here since the beginning, I was referring to what I read regarding the 4 week action this month which came from the PCS themselves.
I hope your right though about the voting against!!
Thanks for taking the time price.

Hi NileR

I just accessed the licence checker and it worked okay for me.

Could be a problem at your end.

What if any, message do you get trying to access?

Here's the link I use to access.

Hi, it worked a second ago, for a couple of hours it was saying they were experiencing technical issues and please try again later. Thanks.
The "processing paper licence applications" section has not been updated yet and is still showing 2nd August.
It's updated weekly now and I'm sure it's on a Monday - it may be too early in the day though as if this time.
Thanks for taking the time again Luna

As of today it's been 98 days since my medical, just over 14 weeks, still waiting for the results of my urine sample, complained 2 weeks ago with no response, got my MP involved 2 months ago with no response yet. I'm starting to think I'll never get my license back.

As of today it's been 98 days since my medical, just over 14 weeks, still waiting for the results of my urine sample, complained 2 weeks ago with no response, got my MP involved 2 months ago with no response yet. I'm starting to think I'll never get my license back.
I think that's terrible and an example of how shambolic the medical department is and has been.
I've not even had word of a urine test and my GP paperwork has been with them 10 weeks yesterday.
There are delays and there are delays, yours is unacceptable I think.
As someone on this forum said a couple of weeks ago, it's not as if they're running a corner shop.
It's like it's a forgotten issue or one that no one wants to speak of, it's not on the media or anything really yet its having a big impact on people's daily lives.
14 weeks after medical and nothing - shocking.If they had the results you would have been quicker and better off putting in a written request to get a copy of your results.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off