DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
View attachment 329When it says date being processed, 15th July does that mean when they received the application. There is no mention of where they are with medicals on there either. With no time frame it makes it so difficult, with no end time in sight
This is a bit disingenuous. I applied on the 15th July and had my Medical today (30/09/21) so I am not entirely sure what the 15th July date refers to.

It is taking 6 weeks to cash a cheque/PO, then 2 weeks to write to you re a medical.

After that it's a guessing game. My medical took 2 weeks to arrange due to GP's holiday, and I have no idea how long the next stage will take.

This is a bit disingenuous. I applied on the 15th July and had my Medical today (30/09/21) so I am not entirely sure what the 15th July date refers to.

It is taking 6 weeks to cash a cheque/PO, then 2 weeks to write to you re a medical.

After that it's a guessing game. My medical took 2 weeks to arrange due to GP's holiday, and I have no idea how long the next stage will take.
I've found those dates confusing since the beginning - no medical updates??
Also I applied for both (medical) licence update and new photo licence on same day - March 10th.
The medical dept received my GP paperwork on 10th August and no word 7 weeks later.
Don't know where I stand really, assume they will cash PO only when medical department notify them to issue new licence and not before?
Post Office telephone number does not seem to give any option to check if cashed though I've read several times on here to check via this number and I've tried a few times.
Also I'm unaware if because dvla said they have written to GP "before making a decision whether to issue my licence" if this necessarily means I will need a medical.Everyones' case is different I know.
There doesn't seem to be much point in calling the medical line as I don't think I will receive any personal response to my case, just the usual generic dvla bland response (except for perhaps whether PO has been cashed).
Sorry for going on a bit, it's not a rant or a moan really... just confused.. 🤔🙏

Also I applied for both (medical) licence update and new photo licence on same day - March 10th.
The medical dept received my GP paperwork on 10th August and no word 7 weeks later.
Don't know where I stand really, assume they will cash PO only when medical department notify them to issue new licence and not before?
Post Office telephone number does not seem to give any option to check if cashed though I've read several times on here to check via this number and I've tried a few times.
Also I'm unaware if because dvla said they have written to GP "before making a decision whether to issue my licence" if this necessarily means I will need a medical.Everyones' case is different I know.
There doesn't seem to be much point in calling the medical line as I don't think I will receive any personal response to my case, just the usual generic dvla bland response (except for perhaps whether PO has been cashed).
Sorry for going on a bit, it's not a rant or a moan really... just confused.. 🤔🙏
Contact the post office on twitter to see if your postal order has been cashed, they replied within 20 minutes to me with a date when my postal order had been cashed.

Contact the post office on twitter to see if your postal order has been cashed, they replied within 20 minutes to me with a date when my postal order had been cashed.
OK, thanks for taking the time. I'm pretty sure I've tried to join Twitter before but for some strange reason it keeps rejecting my details, can't remember why but I've tried at least twice before. Will try again just for this though. Thanks again.

Just had my medical on 3rd of september I dont really have any drug misuse and havent drank for close to a year now So I know I will pass the CDT blood test

But reading on here people saying the dvla still need to write to your doctor after your medical is that for everyone?

Just had my medical on 3rd of september I dont really have any drug misuse and havent drank for close to a year now So I know I will pass the CDT blood test

But reading on here people saying the dvla still need to write to your doctor after your medical is that for everyone?
Hopefully some more experienced members can answer this. But from what I’ve read it’s common that they write to your GP depending on your answers to the questions (one comment said they answered no to everything and they still contacted them). So I would assume they will rather than hope they don’t if that makes sense.
Have you ever spoken to your GP about either drug/alcohol?

It is worth a call NileR. You will only get to a call handler but they will tell you from the system the status of your application and if the PO has been cashed.

I am also surprised at the number of people using Postal Orders. If for whatever reason you don't have a current account that provided you with a cheque book, a better and perhaps cheaper way of doing it would be to ask your bank for a Bankers Draft drawn on your account and made out to the DVLA.

The usual cost of the draft is 0.5% of the value, which for HRO's is only £4.50.

It is worth a call NileR. You will only get to a call handler but they will tell you from the system the status of your application and if the PO has been cashed.

I am also surprised at the number of people using Postal Orders. If for whatever reason you don't have a current account that provided you with a cheque book, a better and perhaps cheaper way of doing it would be to ask your bank for a Bankers Draft drawn on your account and made out to the DVLA.

The usual cost of the draft is 0.5% of the value, which for HRO's is only £4.50.
Thanks Luna, I thought if I called then the only thing they could possibly tell me is that it's been passed on to the medical department on 10th August for processing and I would hear back ASAP - which is what they told me 6 weeks ago or so.
As for the postal order, I never thought of that, I just went with the PO as that was what the D1 asked for which was £17.50.
I don't pay for medicals, no convictions etc.
Thanks for taking the time, appreciate it.

It's been 79 days since my medical, I find it unfair and completely backwards that I have to wait this long because of a urine test.. I'm not even a HRO and I've never drunk or done drugs while driving, only reported that I took some benzos while banned! What an absolute hell this is. Starting to lose hope.

It's been 79 days since my medical, I find it unfair and completely backwards that I have to wait this long because of a urine test.. I'm not even a HRO and I've never drunk or done drugs while driving, only reported that I took some benzos while banned! What an absolute hell this is. Starting to lose hope.
Yeah, I fully understand.Two and a half years ago I admitted I smoked cannabis for three weeks and was classed as a "persistent drugs misuse". I never even drove within 24 hours after smoking and I don't drink alcohol at all.
No driving offences or convictions ever since passed test 27 years ago.
I applied in March and due to GP taking 11 weeks to complete and return forms they have only been with medical dept since August 10th.
Inevitably ill need to wait for a medical and then months for licence back ; I'll be lucky to see it before Easter I think.
Previous licence took a year to be issued as DVLA doctor "forgot" to add to my file that he spoke to my GP. That meant another 6 months and four urine tests.
Dvla are a nightmare in my 2 and a half year experience.
I feel your pain bro'🙏

Hopefully some more experienced members can answer this. But from what I’ve read it’s common that they write to your GP depending on your answers to the questions (one comment said they answered no to everything and they still contacted them). So I would assume they will rather than hope they don’t if that makes sense.
Have you ever spoken to your GP about either drug/alcohol?
Never spoken to my GP about any alcohol or drugs hardly ever visited him tbh even the dvla doctor said you will be a nice and easy one so guess its just a waiting game

You are right to say that the cost of a bankers draft is 0.5%, but this is only 45p, not £4.50p…… however, they have to be collected from a branch and the banks charge a minimum fee on top, which in the case of Barclays is £15.
Also, NileR, “ I just went with the PO as that was what the D1 asked for which was £17.50”….. the fee for a postal order is 12.5% up to £100, so £11.25p. Cheaper for a postal order but certainly better to send a cheque if you have one - for free!

Never spoken to my GP about any alcohol or drugs hardly ever visited him tbh even the dvla doctor said you will be a nice and easy one so guess its just a waiting game
I am in the same situation, however 7 1/2 weeks since medical and no further on

All sounds positive then! I waited 10 weeks before receiving a letter saying they had written to my GP so unfortunately it might be a waiting game. Hopefully they don’t write to your gp but if they do it doesn’t sound like they will flag anything.

My DVLA doctor said it seemed it was pretty random if the DVLA would contact your GP but not to take it personally if they did so. Obviously a different scenario if they need further info as yes answered to certain questions.

For what it's worth, they didn't write to mine.

My DVLA doctor said it seemed it was pretty random if the DVLA would contact your GP but not to take it personally if they did so. Obviously a different scenario if they need further info as yes answered to certain questions.

For what it's worth, they didn't write to mine.
Have you got your license back now I take it?

All sounds positive then! I waited 10 weeks before receiving a letter saying they had written to my GP so unfortunately it might be a waiting game. Hopefully they don’t write to your gp but if they do it doesn’t sound like they will flag anything.
Did to mention any issues to doctor at your medical?

You are right to say that the cost of a bankers draft is 0.5%, but this is only 45p, not £4.50p…… however, they have to be collected from a branch and the banks charge a minimum fee on top, which in the case of Barclays is £15.
Also, NileR, “ I just went with the PO as that was what the D1 asked for which was £17.50”….. the fee for a postal order is 12.5% up to £100, so £11.25p. Cheaper for a postal order but certainly better to send a cheque if you have one - for free!
Yes, you are correct. I accidentally used 5% to calculate.

Hello all, just wanted to update you on my timescale it says online that I can drive from today:

June 17 - Sent Application
July 22nd - Medical Letter Arrived
August 17th - Had Medical
September 14th - DVLA confirmed they'd received blood results and medical questionaire
October 5th - Full License re-issued

Sooooo happy its finally over and thanks for all your advise :)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off