DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi Polly
We both seem to be ‘in the same boat’ regarding waiting for medical questionnaire to be completed and sent to DVLA.
To compound my problems further, my neighbour (in their 80s, has had bypass op and pacemaker) has asked me to be put down as a named driver on his insurance policy, so that I can take him to hospital,shopping etc.
I have not told anyone about my wait for my licence, only to say that I’ve sent off for a replacement licence with my new address which is true.
I’ve tried again with my GP’s practice manager today only to be told once again that the questionnaire is awaiting signature and that it is not deemed as urgent or a priority!!!
My GP did the report immediately. I’m waiting for DVLA to get round to looking at it . Your GPs attitude is unbelievably poor. I accept it may not be an immediate priority but he/she has had it weeks now. I’m really sorry you are encountering this .

Rayson, I didn’t look at your history when I made that comment. You are right that convictions are only relevant for insurance purposes for 5 years.
Does the conviction on the liscence start from when u get your liscence back or from the day u Wer convicted in court , i was banned 3 years ago so I’m not sure about how this will affect me getn insured

Does the conviction on the liscence start from when u get your liscence back or from the day u Wer convicted in court , i was banned 3 years ago so I’m not sure about how this will affect me getn insured
It has to be declared for 5 years from the date of your conviction.

So things have moved on in my palava.
So my ban was up in November 2020 (9months ago).
My blood was taken in May 2021(actually 10 weeks ago)
On the questionnaire I answered with all honesty and as expected I now have another questionairre and the dvla are informing me they are contacting my doctor.
This is the beginning of another round of waiting and presumably a urine test which is fine. I'm completely clean and sober now. But I'm guessing I'll be punished for my past mistakes and have to wait and jump through a lot more hoops.
So 10 months from the end of my ban and I'm not expecting a licence anytime soon.
My advice is be very patient buy an electric bike or something and don'tose your mind.
The dvla medical group are very clear that they can take as long as they want. Probably have the right to refuse my application too if they feel that way which is scary.
Advice... Just blow in the bag. Never refuse to give a sample. In my case I was asleep in my camper van, did not feel like they had the right and I got stubborn.
Big mistake. If I'd blown in the bag this would have been over 10 months ago.
Did you refuse to provide a specimen or blow.? I did the same. So what your saying becaise of that they will definately contact my GP as well?

I just actually realised that once you get a letter from DVLA asking you to book an appointment with their doctor there is actually a timescale to reply and it's definitely not 2-2.5 months. I can't find this particular piece of paper, but once you book an appointment you need to let DVLA know when you booked if for within a certain amount of time - I seem to remember it's 14-21 days.

It's your choice of course but I would still start the process now. Hope this helps.
6 weeks, timescaIe not 1O weeks,i am in week13, my gp has not even been written too, and they are writing , i asked assertively to dvIa med group," am i looking at 2022 before i see a dvIa GP "?? ,,,, aII she said was it will progress ,but we cant confirm or deny ..

Did you refuse to provide a specimen or blow.? I did the same. So what your saying becaise of that they will definately contact my GP as well?
I don’t think there is a clear guideline re whether or not the DVLA will decide to contact your GP. It depends on numerous things I guess : their Dr report , your answers to the medical Q, the cdt score and probably the weather . I fully expected GP contact as I answered that I was having treatment for mild depression .
In terms of communication with me , they wrote to me 4 weeks after receiving the GP medical report to say they were contacting my GP.

Had my medical this afternoon after 7 months since i applied. My approach this time around has been guided by some superb advice from this forum and my understanding what it takes to regain my licence is crystal clear.

Had my medical this afternoon after 7 months since i applied. My approach this time around has been guided by some superb advice from this forum and my understanding what it takes to regain my licence is crystal clear.
Totally agree, given the complete lack of clarity with DVLA/DVA in regard to HRO this site has without doubt saved me an awful of unneeded stress. I would like to thank everyone who posts their experience and issues with this government body.

Totally agree, given the complete lack of clarity with DVLA/DVA in regard to HRO this site has without doubt saved me an awful of unneeded stress. I would like to thank everyone who posts their experience and issues with this government body.
Update
Just to update : they’ve issued my full driving licence .
Dates: applied 3 March 2021; DVLA medical 26/4; mid May DVLA stated not received report which I chased up ; 15/6 letter received saying they were contacting GP ( I expected this as I identified mental health issues within last 3 years ); 24/6 GP emailed and posted report to DVLA; 10/7 DVLA stated report scanned on system; 23/7 DVLA said still in work queue that could take minutes or many months to clear ; today online checker confirms full licence issued .
Ban was for fail to provide . Ban ended 24/6/21.
Hope this timeline is of use to you all .
Thanks for information shared . I’m keeping in touch .

Update

Dates: applied 3 March 2021; DVLA medical 26/4; mid May DVLA stated not received report which I chased up ; 15/6 letter received saying they were contacting GP ( I expected this as I identified mental health issues within last 3 years ); 24/6 GP emailed and posted report to DVLA; 10/7 DVLA stated report scanned on system; 23/7 DVLA said still in work queue that could take minutes or many months to clear ; today online checker confirms full licence issued .
AMAZING 🤩 xx

Update

Brilliant!! Congratulations Polly — so happy for you. Onwards and upwards, as they say.

Update

Fantastic news Polly. Congratulations. Are you off for a drive today in the car?

Update

Congratulations Polly, happy driving

Update

Great news Polly happy driving 🎉

Fantastic news Polly. Congratulations. Are you off for a drive today in the car?
Thanks 🙏. No , as I don’t have access to one . I’m going to get in touch with a couple of insurance companies to get some quotes around the sort of cars I’ve got in mind to buy . I hope everyone else who is waiting gets sorted . I don’t know if there’s an update re if they are still striking next week ? This site has been so great. I’m going to share any useful info I get re insurance quotes 😃

Thanks 🙏. No , as I don’t have access to one . I’m going to get in touch with a couple of insurance companies to get some quotes around the sort of cars I’ve got in mind to buy . I hope everyone else who is waiting gets sorted . I don’t know if there’s an update re if they are still striking next week ? This site has been so great. I’m going to share any useful info I get re insurance quotes 😃
I plugged in my details to Go Compare for my previous car which has a value of about £8,500. I have 40+ years driving but given the length of my ban I have lost any NCD I built up. I have retired so will only be doing around 6,000 miles a year. The car was a Honda CrV EX 2.2dti.

The best quotes I received were in the region of £1,090 and the 'cheapest' wanted a compulsory excess of £4,000.

I think an older, less expensive car around £5k with a smaller engine would maybe get this down to the £750 mark, but in any case it is a lot more the the £250 I last paid for insurance.

Hope you get what you want.

I plugged in my details to Go Compare for my previous car which has a value of about £8,500. I have 40+ years driving but given the length of my ban I have lost any NCD I built up. I have retired so will only be doing around 6,000 miles a year. The car was a Honda CrV EX 2.2dti.

The best quotes I received were in the region of £1,090 and the 'cheapest' wanted a compulsory excess of £4,000.

I think an older, less expensive car around £5k with a smaller engine would maybe get this down to the £750 mark, but in any case it is a lot more the the £250 I last paid for insurance.

Hope you get what you want.
Thanks. I’ve had a quote of £940 on a 1.5 cc Yaris 20 plate , as an example to get me started

Thanks. I’ve had a quote of £940 on a 1.5 cc Yaris 20 plate , as an example to get me started
My problem is that I hate small cars.

I would really like to get another 4WD SUV, but I think I might need to adjust my expectations a little.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off