DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Today (27th July 2021) I received in the mail a D27P H form from the DVLA. This form appears to be almost identical to the D1 form except for the fact that your name, address, licence number and the date you ban ends are all pre-populated. It has arrived 2 weeks later than the 90 days before my ban ends.

Interestingly enough there is no DR1 form included or mentioned and as I understand it, all HRO's need to complete the DR1.

This form is specifically designed for disqualified drivers to re-apply for their licence, although it does say you can ignore it if you have already applied. It does mention in note H that you will need to see a Doctor for the medical exam, so I assume the 'H' in the form may refer to 'High' as in high risk offender.

I have already applied (15th July) and sent back a D1 and completed DR1 form.

Has anyone else received one of these forms and if so, had you already applied using a D1 and a DR1 form?

Today (27th July 2021) I received in the mail a D27P H form from the DVLA. This form appears to be almost identical to the D1 form except for the fact that your name, address, licence number and the date you ban ends are all pre-populated. It has arrived 2 weeks later than the 90 days before my ban ends.

Interestingly enough there is no DR1 form included or mentioned and as I understand it, all HRO's need to complete the DR1.

This form is specifically designed for disqualified drivers to re-apply for their licence, although it does say you can ignore it if you have already applied. It does mention in note H that you will need to see a Doctor for the medical exam, so I assume the 'H' in the form may refer to 'High' as in high risk offender.

Has anyone else received one of these forms and if so, had you already applied using a D1 and a DR1 form?
Hi,

I received one of these forms about 2 weeks after I'd already sent the D1 form off. I ignored this form as I'd already applied, and received my letter to book my medical last week.

Hi,

I received one of these forms about 2 weeks after I'd already sent the D1 form off. I ignored this form as I'd already applied, and received my letter to book my medical last week.
Thanks. That's good to know. Did you also complete and return a DR1 form along with the D1?

No I thought you filled that out at your medical?
Last time (yes I've danced this tango before,) I had to complete a DR1 and send it with the D1 form. Then at the Medical, the Doctor went through the D1 form with me again and I had to struggle a bit to remember exactly what I had said on the original form.

The process may have changed now (last time was 2018), but from what I could gather on the forum, a DR1 had still to be sent with the application, although now I am not so sure.

So things have moved on in my palava.
So my ban was up in November 2020 (9months ago).
My blood was taken in May 2021(actually 10 weeks ago)
On the questionnaire I answered with all honesty and as expected I now have another questionairre and the dvla are informing me they are contacting my doctor.
This is the beginning of another round of waiting and presumably a urine test which is fine. I'm completely clean and sober now. But I'm guessing I'll be punished for my past mistakes and have to wait and jump through a lot more hoops.
So 10 months from the end of my ban and I'm not expecting a licence anytime soon.
My advice is be very patient buy an electric bike or something and don'tose your mind.
The dvla medical group are very clear that they can take as long as they want. Probably have the right to refuse my application too if they feel that way which is scary.
Advice... Just blow in the bag. Never refuse to give a sample. In my case I was asleep in my camper van, did not feel like they had the right and I got stubborn.
Big mistake. If I'd blown in the bag this would have been over 10 months ago.
It sounds like progress that they’ve now at

I absolutely DESPAIR. 🤬 They can’t process the forms they had in place before let alone send our new ones . I’ve got nightmare visions now of them telling me they can’t process my case as I haven’t filled something in !!!!!!!

It sounds like progress that they’ve now at

I absolutely DESPAIR. 🤬 They can’t process the forms they had in place before let alone send our new ones . I’ve got nightmare visions now of them telling me they can’t process my case as I haven’t filled something in !!!!!!!
Yes, I know what you mean.

However, as it does say to ignore the form if you have already applied for a licence and the fact that the form is identical to a D1, you should be okay.

The only real difference is the DR1 form not being enclosed as it was last time.

Last time (yes I've danced this tango before,) I had to complete a DR1 and send it with the D1 form. Then at the Medical, the Doctor went through the D1 form with me again and I had to struggle a bit to remember exactly what I had said on the original form.

The process may have changed now (last time was 2018), but from what I could gather on the forum, a DR1 had still to be sent with the application, although now I am not so sure.
Ermm well i've just followed the instructions of what each form has said to me, and they've cashed the cheque and sent me a letter to book the medical and I haven't been told otherwise as of yet so i'm not too sure :)

Ermm well i've just followed the instructions of what each form has said to me, and they've cashed the cheque and sent me a letter to book the medical and I haven't been told otherwise as of yet so i'm not too sure :)
Well at least they have cashed your cheque. I sent mine in the 15th July and it has still not been cashed.

Yes, I know what you mean.

However, as it does say to ignore the form if you have already applied for a licence and the fact that the form is identical to a D1, you should be okay.

The only real difference is the DR1 form not being enclosed as it was last time.
I know but it speaks volumes re their « systems » ( or lack of) . Drowning in a sea of forms that duplicate info 😱

It has finally happened, received an email from DVA today offering me a doctors medical on the 9th August. From the date of my letter stating that I would " soon " get an appointment until confirmation of that appointment it has taken 12 weeks......well , at least things are moving in the right direction.....

Hi Everyone, my first one year license post ban ending, expired in November 2020
I applied for a new one 90 days before, and my GP was written to. He phoned me so I knew what his recommendation was, and made sure that I reflected the alcohol units we discussed on the form I sent, as they were correct.
I finally had my medical on the 15 March. I had phoned the DVLA in April to check that they had my papers.
Last Thursday I spoke to someone who was very helpful, said he could see that it had been a long time and that he’d see what he could do. He also mentioned that everything looked fine, which was a massive relief……there are some real horror stories on the Forum
I have driven on a Section 88, but as the DVLA won’t actually sanction it, haven’t felt comfortable, and have kept my driving as local as possible.

Just checked on the DVLA Website, and he was as good as his word…..three year full license, so am feeling very grateful indeed

I did phone at the beginning of the day….in honesty I don’t think their jobs can be very satisfying. It must feel like a whole day of fielding calls from often irate people, and it doesn’t seem at the moment that there’s much they can do to help. But then the man I spoke to was indeed very helpful and clearly flagged my application up.

I hope everyone has some good news soon x

Hi Everyone, my first one year license post ban ending, expired in November 2020
I applied for a new one 90 days before, and my GP was written to. He phoned me so I knew what his recommendation was, and made sure that I reflected the alcohol units we discussed on the form I sent, as they were correct.
I finally had my medical on the 15 March. I had phoned the DVLA in April to check that they had my papers.
Last Thursday I spoke to someone who was very helpful, said he could see that it had been a long time and that he’d see what he could do. He also mentioned that everything looked fine, which was a massive relief……there are some real horror stories on the Forum
I have driven on a Section 88, but as the DVLA won’t actually sanction it, haven’t felt comfortable, and have kept my driving as local as possible.

Just checked on the DVLA Website, and he was as good as his word…..three year full license, so am feeling very grateful indeed

I did phone at the beginning of the day….in honesty I don’t think their jobs can be very satisfying. It must feel like a whole day of fielding calls from often irate people, and it doesn’t seem at the moment that there’s much they can do to help. But then the man I spoke to was indeed very helpful and clearly flagged my application up.

I hope everyone has some good news soon x
Great news. I too am frustrated with the inefficiency, but I can only imagine that it is a most dissatisfying place to work as you say. The organisation seems to lack any leadership/ direction and has been this way for years . What I don’t understand is how you got to speak to someone who could actually do something. All I get are people telling me that I’m in a queue and that my case could take many months to be processed.
Well done.

Great news. I too am frustrated with the inefficiency, but I can only imagine that it is a most dissatisfying place to work as you say. The organisation seems to lack any leadership/ direction and has been this way for years . What I don’t understand is how you got to speak to someone who could actually do something. All I get are people telling me that I’m in a queue and that my case could take many months to be processed.
Well done.
Hi Polly, yes it did seem that he was able to do something, and indeed did.
I thought I’d try the beginning of the day before the call handlers were feeling too frazzled. He commented that I’d last phoned in April, so I did say that I was conscious of the fact that the DVLA had been going through a difficult time, and had tried not too keep phoning ( NB much easier for me to say this as I was at least able to drive ) I said I was going on holiday and didn’t want to drive on Section 88 if my license was due to be issued. He did ask anything also? So again, said I was a nurse and felt more comfortable driving to work if I felt legal.
Anyway, I just think I was fortunate in speaking to someone helpful……as you say, it’s interesting that there is a real possibility to be helpful !! x

Well done.
Hi Polly
We both seem to be ‘in the same boat’ regarding waiting for medical questionnaire to be completed and sent to DVLA.
To compound my problems further, my neighbour (in their 80s, has had bypass op and pacemaker) has asked me to be put down as a named driver on his insurance policy, so that I can take him to hospital,shopping etc.
I have not told anyone about my wait for my licence, only to say that I’ve sent off for a replacement licence with my new address which is true.
I’ve tried again with my GP’s practice manager today only to be told once again that the questionnaire is awaiting signature and that it is not deemed as urgent or a priority!!!

Hi Polly
We both seem to be ‘in the same boat’ regarding waiting for medical questionnaire to be completed and sent to DVLA.
To compound my problems further, my neighbour (in their 80s, has had bypass op and pacemaker) has asked me to be put down as a named driver on his insurance policy, so that I can take him to hospital,shopping etc.
I have not told anyone about my wait for my licence, only to say that I’ve sent off for a replacement licence with my new address which is true.
I’ve tried again with my GP’s practice manager today only to be told once again that the questionnaire is awaiting signature and that it is not deemed as urgent or a priority!!!
Even if your licence does come back soon, you would have to tell your neighbour about your conviction to go on his insurance, the insurance questions include convictions for named drivers.

Even if your licence does come back soon, you would have to tell your neighbour about your conviction to go on his insurance, the insurance questions include convictions for named drivers.
I have looked into various quotes for insurance and none are interested in spent convictions of 5 + years. My ban ended in October 2002, and I’ve never needed a licence since then, until now.

I have looked into various quotes for insurance and none are interested in spent convictions of 5 + years. My ban ended in October 2002, and I’ve never needed a licence since then, until now.
Rayson, I didn’t look at your history when I made that comment. You are right that convictions are only relevant for insurance purposes for 5 years.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off