DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
I'm not holding much hope either,as now waiting for medical letter so probably be another 10weeks at least. I'll keep a diary as will probably be interesting for others to see the guide, in the future. I'm a key worker but would be a nice Xmas present to get it back by then!
I know everyone's case varies on timescales, but my medical letter arrived exactly 3 weeks after the date my cheque cleared, so there is hope 🤞

I know everyone's case varies on timescales, but my medical letter arrived exactly 3 weeks after the date my cheque cleared, so there is hope 🤞
Thank you for that. I really hope mine is the same. So I'm assuming you are one step ahead of me, waiting for the medical now or the results and reissue of licence? I'm just feeling really sad for my children as another summer without a car. I didn't realise this was all going on at the dvla and the delays, till a few weeks ago x

I sent my medical off in October and the cheque cleared not long after , they only received the forms in April , then I got a letter saying my they received everything and my medical appointment will be on the 21st of July

I have had to resort to emailing the NI minister in charge of the DVA in Northern Ireland. No help with DVA , will not supply a time frame, will not allow me to contact the doctor involved in my case and at this stage I feel completely helpless. I was banned for 10 years in 2010 and placed on a HRO then, I have emailed to see if my case merits the section 88 which would allow me to get my provisional until a medical appointment is taken but to be honest I'm not hopeful. I even asked if I could go private to move the process but nah.....no dice.

I have had to resort to emailing the NI minister in charge of the DVA in Northern Ireland. No help with DVA , will not supply a time frame, will not allow me to contact the doctor involved in my case and at this stage I feel completely helpless. I was banned for 10 years in 2010 and placed on a HRO then, I have emailed to see if my case merits the section 88 which would allow me to get my provisional until a medical appointment is taken but to be honest I'm not hopeful. I even asked if I could go private to move the process but nah.....no dice.
NI is very slow I waited 9 months now I’ve finally got a date, there is no way to contact the medical department
how long have u been waiting ?

Thank you for that. I really hope mine is the same. So I'm assuming you are one step ahead of me, waiting for the medical now or the results and reissue of licence? I'm just feeling really sad for my children as another summer without a car. I didn't realise this was all going on at the dvla and the delays, till a few weeks ago x
Just slightly ahead of you it seems, sent my application form off on May 4th, and my medical is August 10th - I'd had my medical letter for 8 days before I could finally secure an appointment though! Rang as soon as I got the letter but they had no appointments, so tried every day until they did, just glad to finally have a date for it.
Side note - ban expires at midnight tonight

What did you do to get a 10 years ban eddie ?

NI is very slow I waited 9 months now I’ve finally got a date, there is no way to contact the medical department

how long have u been waiting ?
Received a letter from the medical section saying I would be contacted " shortly" for a appointment from the DVA doctor, that was on the 7/5/21.

Received a letter from the medical section saying I would be contacted " shortly" for a appointment from the DVA doctor, that was on the 7/5/21.
Yeah I got that letter at the start of April and just received my appointment yesterday so hopefully u will get it very soon

Yeah I got that letter at the start of April and just received my appointment yesterday so hopefully u will get it very soon
Great news Paulo1, is that in NI...., because that would give me some hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel....even if it is only brief before the next tunnel which is the process of resitting the tests....

Great news Paulo1, is that in NI...., because that would give me some hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel....even if it is only brief before the next tunnel which is the process of resitting the tests....
Yes that is in NI, I received that letter on the 7th April so u seem to be a month behind me , so I’m guessing u will be in the next batch of Medical’s he will be doing probably, I thought I was never going to get my appointment but finally I have it , so hopefully u will be getting it soon, he actually rang me and arranged the appointment

Yes that is in NI, I received that letter on the 7th April so u seem to be a month behind me , so I’m guessing u will be in the next batch of Medical’s he will be doing probably, I thought I was never going to get my appointment but finally I have it , so hopefully u will be getting it soon, he actually rang me and arranged the appointment
Nice one, I hope all goes well for you. That seems to tally with what my missus was told by a lady at DVA ( I thought it best she spoke with them as I was out of patience ) where she was told it averaged 12 weeks from when you get the letter stating your file has been sent to the doctor. Cheers for that, I am feeling a bit more optimistic after our chat....(y)

11th March - sent off D1 form

23rd April - received letter to book medical

12th May - had medical

*Around half a dozen calls ensued over the next few months chasing the DVLA. There weren’t any problems as such, just the COVID/strike delays we’ve all been subject to*

20th July - full 10-year licence issued.

I can see the licence has been issued from checking online, I haven’t had the physical card through the door yet. The DVLA did not contact my GP. I abstained for six weeks prior to the medical, and before that was drinking max a bottle of wine a week (more often than not, less than this). I have no mental health history or anything else that would raise a flag.

I can’t thank all of you enough on this forum for getting me through the worst two years of my life. Now, finally, onto the next chapter.

Wishing all of you still waiting the very best of luck, hang in there, it’ll all work out eventually.

Last edited:

12th March - had medical

*Around half a dozen calls ensued over the next few months chasing the DVLA. There weren’t any problems as such, just the COVID/strike delays we’ve all been subject to*

I can see the licence has been issued from checking online, I haven’t had the physical card through the door yet. The DVLA did not contact my GP. I abstained for six weeks prior to the medical, and before that was drinking max a bottle of wine a week (more often than not, less than this). I have no mental health history or anything else that would raise a flag.

I can’t thank all of you enough on this forum for getting me through the worst two years of my life. Now, finally, onto the next chapter.

Wishing all of you still waiting the very best of luck, hang in there, it’ll all work out eventually.
Congratulations. However its depressing to know that it took 4 months for you to recieve your licence from your medical date. I had my medical yesterday so in theory it could take me to November by the time I get my licence back pending no GP contact.

12th March - had medical

Great news. Did you have the medical in May ? Also did they make contact with your own GP ? When did your ban end ? Congratulations

Congratulations. However its depressing to know that it took 4 months for you to recieve your licence from your medical date. I had my medical yesterday so in theory it could take me to November by the time I get my licence back pending no GP contact.
I can bring some comfort on that front, i made a typo! My medical was 12th MAY, not March. So ten weeks from medical to receiving my licence. My apologies for that!

It has been a horrible few months of waiting, but not quite so long as I made it seem from my mistake!
I do hope that they are slowly picking up the pace following the Covid delays, and that your process is a little faster than mine. All the best.

Great news. Did you have the medical in May ? Also did they make contact with your own GP ? When did your ban end ? Congratulations
Hi Polly,
You are right! I made a typo there, my medical was 12th MAY, not March. I’m sorry about that.
They did not contact my GP and my ban ended 3rd June 2021.
Wishing you luck,

Hi Polly,
You are right! I made a typo there, my medical was 12th MAY, not March. I’m sorry about that.
They did not contact my GP and my ban ended 3rd June 2021.
Wishing you luck,
I wasn’t trying to be clever and point out a mistake 😃. My posts are full of typos. I thought you meant May. Well my medical was in April , then they contacted my GP. I’m assuming my lengthy wait starts from date they got GP info back. My ban ended 24/6 . I get paranoid when people post re getting theirs back end then worry re what the issue is with me. Obviously I’m delighted fir you and everyone who gets licence returned 😜

I downloaded a DR1 form and got a D1 from from the post office and sent my application off on 15/7/21.

My ban expires in the 11th October and the DVLA should have written to me by the 12th July all things being equal.

I'm still waiting on that letter, but have sent off the forms and the cheque anyway.

God knows when I'll get a medical, but I'm keeping diary,

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off