DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
I had my DVLA medical 1st March and was then informed that they would need to contact my GP. Today my GP rang me and went through the same questions as the medical. He then said that I need blood tests to which I responded that I'd already done them. Has anyone had a second test or, as my GP has done, written on the form that he does not have any results?

I had my DVLA medical 1st March and was then informed that they would need to contact my GP. Today my GP rang me and went through the same questions as the medical. He then said that I need blood tests to which I responded that I'd already done them. Has anyone had a second test or, as my GP has done, written on the form that he does not have any results?
Thanks for this information. It seems to have taken them a long time . Do they tell you why they need to contact your GP or is it standard? Hope your case gets resolved soon

DVLA do not require your GP to do a blood test as a part of the medical, there is just a questionnaire to fill in. Your GP may have decided to offer you a blood test (Not for CDT that DVLA do) as a Liver Function Test to bring your records up to date, especially if you have had a past history of liver problems and / or alcohol issues on your file.

I got a 3yr ban in 2010 for drink driving and dangerous driving. I never needed a licence as work was local. I had to turn down a well paid job last year as I did not have a driving licence. In fact I have never had one but have to do an extended re-test which has baffled me a bit as I have never had a test to resit.As I could not go for the job with no licence I applied last March and finally got a reply in February 11 months later and had a medical at the end of April. Two questions why do I have to do a retest when I have never had one in the first place, should it not be just a test and when am I likely to hear from them? It will be 4 weeks this week.

I got a 3yr ban in 2010 for drink driving and dangerous driving. I never needed a licence as work was local. I had to turn down a well paid job last year as I did not have a driving licence. In fact I have never had one but have to do an extended re-test which has baffled me a bit as I have never had a test to resit.As I could not go for the job with no licence I applied last March and finally got a reply in February 11 months later and had a medical at the end of April. Two questions why do I have to do a retest when I have never had one in the first place, should it not be just a test and when am I likely to hear from them? It will be 4 weeks this week.
The dangerous driving means that you have to do the extended test. Weather you have previously had a license or not.

Did any one had a medical test in March/April and get already licence back?? Or everyone is waiting so long time to get the results? Thanks

Hi people, HRO from Northern Ireland here, just wondering if anyone has any ideas how long the waiting list for a medical here is? I phoned the DVA today as I can apply for my licence again on the 31st - the girl on the phone seemed a bit unsure but said she thought the wait was around 12 weeks just to have a medical - surely that can't be right, a 3 month wait just for the medical appointment itself?

Edit - sorry, should have mentioned - no history of alcohol dependence at all, I was caught with a high reading (107, I think) - hence the need for a medical.

I had my medical on the 25th. I asked the doctor how long it would take to get the results. He told me that the DVLA aim to get them within 6 weeks. After reading a few posts on here, I think that's extremely optimistic

I had my medical on the 25th. I asked the doctor how long it would take to get the results. He told me that the DVLA aim to get them within 6 weeks. After reading a few posts on here, I think that's extremely optimisti

I had my medical on the 25th. I asked the doctor how long it would take to get the results. He told me that the DVLA aim to get them within 6 weeks. After reading a few posts on here, I think that's extremely optimistic
Well at least you've had your medical and now can see the light at the end of the tunnel.. I m still waiting for the DVLA to send me a medical appointment letter since 19 April. I think I will have to contact them in June if not heard anything.

Well at least you've had your medical and now can see the light at the end of the tunnel.. I m still waiting for the DVLA to send me a medical appointment letter since 19 April. I think I will have to contact them in June if not heard anything.
You are right : at least we’ve had medical . When you say you’ve been waiting since 19/4 , is that the date you reapplied for your licence ? When does your disqualification end ? And yes, I would try to chase it up .

You are right : at least we’ve had medical . When you say you’ve been waiting since 19/4 , is that the date you reapplied for your licence ? When does your disqualification end ? And yes, I would try to chase it up .
Yes the 19.4 was when I submitted my d1 application form for my licence. I've looked at other people's time lines in order to obtain a gauge when to start chasing things up.
My disqualification ends 16 July. Don't expect to have my licence back by then...so disappointed and feel that all of us have done the right things as instructed and yet we are just hitting brick walls. Saying that the main causes of the delays seems to attribute to c19 lockdowns, DVLA c19 cases and outbreaks, staff striking and the CEO closing shop has not helped. Appears to be all in disarray.

Yes the 19.4 was when I submitted my d1 application form for my licence. I've looked at other people's time lines in order to obtain a gauge when to start chasing things up.
My disqualification ends 16 July. Don't expect to have my licence back by then...so disappointed and feel that all of us have done the right things as instructed and yet we are just hitting brick walls. Saying that the main causes of the delays seems to attribute to c19 lockdowns, DVLA c19 cases and outbreaks, staff striking and the CEO closing shop has not helped. Appears to be all in disarray.
The DVLA has been like this for many years . Covid will have exacerbated the situation but the whole organisation desperately needs an overhaul. I imagine that their computer systems are antiquated and the whole operation seems to be unwieldy and inherently inefficient. I sent D1 in on 3 March and received letter with instructions re medical 26 March . The first slot available for medical was 3 May but I’d requested to be considered for a cancellation so they rang me to go on 26 April . I should add that I had to contact DVLA before I could make medical appointment as they had not sent info to examining Dr. I really would encourage you to contact DVLA ASAP re issue of the medical . My disqualification ends next week. I’m stressed about it but nowhere near as stressed as when I was arrested . Also : I did put myself in this position. Many people caught up in this bureaucratic nightmare are trying to recoup their licences after ill health over which they had no control at all . Having said all that I want the DVLA to hurry up so I can drive again !!!!!! 😄

The DVLA has been like this for many years . Covid will have exacerbated the situation but the whole organisation desperately needs an overhaul. I imagine that their computer systems are antiquated and the whole operation seems to be unwieldy and inherently inefficient. I sent D1 in on 3 March and received letter with instructions re medical 26 March . The first slot available for medical was 3 May but I’d requested to be considered for a cancellation so they rang me to go on 26 April . I should add that I had to contact DVLA before I could make medical appointment as they had not sent info to examining Dr. I really would encourage you to contact DVLA ASAP re issue of the medical . My disqualification ends next week. I’m stressed about it but nowhere near as stressed as when I was arrested . Also : I did put myself in this position. Many people caught up in this bureaucratic nightmare are trying to recoup their licences after ill health over which they had no control at all . Having said all that I want the DVLA to hurry up so I can drive again !!!!!! 😄
Wow. Sounds like you were quite fortunate between submitting your d1 form and medical. What number did you have to contact the medical team.?

Wow. Sounds like you were quite fortunate between submitting your d1 form and medical. What number did you have to contact the medical team.?
I think the phone numbers are on DVLA website but the number I rang is 03007906806. It is however incredibly difficult to get through. Prepare yourself to feel frustrated. It is however worth it .

The DVLA seem to be stuck in the last century. Asking for cheques or postal orders to reapply for your licence? I haven't had a cheque book in years, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. The medical questionnaire is also a bit of a joke. Surely in this day and age, the doctor examining you can input the answers online instead of writing them down to be sent off and scanned at the other end! Ridiculous

The DVLA seem to be stuck in the last century. Asking for cheques or postal orders to reapply for your licence? I haven't had a cheque book in years, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. The medical questionnaire is also a bit of a joke. Surely in this day and age, the doctor examining you can input the answers online instead of writing them down to be sent off and scanned at the other end! Ridiculous
The doctors would prefer to do that and the one who I saw did the next best thing : emailed. Twice . Both times emails apparently not received by DVLA????? Or at least not on system . Painful, and it must be difficult fir the staff working in it .

I think the phone numbers are on DVLA website but the number I rang is 03007906806. It is however incredibly difficult to get through. Prepare yourself to feel frustrated. It is however worth it .
Thankan
The doctors would prefer to do that and the one who I saw did the next best thing : emailed. Twice . Both times emails apparently not received by DVLA????? Or at least not on system . Painful, and it must be difficult fir the staff working in it .
I had medical at 27 April and 28 may I get my licence back
When did you post your D1 application form? Would be helpful as I'm still waiting for medical notification. Thanks

Thankan

When did you post your D1 application form? Would be helpful as I'm still waiting for medical notification. Thanks
I posted it on about 3 March and by end of March got the letter with instructions to book . There was a delay in being able to do this as DVLA did not send info to examining Dr and I had to chase it up.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off