DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
I’ve got my medical coming up end of the month, is it just blood tests and the questions that’s needed? I see people saying the DVLA then send questionnaires to GP is that because they are classed as dependent or? Can anyone explain the process and time scale for none dependency? Is it a case of jus doing the medical and receiving licence back after a couple weeks or? TIA
Yes, DVLA medical consists of questionnaire, medical exam (feeling of liver, stomach, blood pressure, look at eyes etc.), blood test for CDT and if they deem necessary a urine test to check for drug use. Generally after having the medical, it takes a few days for DVLA to receive the blood results and doctor report through, but will more than likely take them a lot longer to 'get scanned on their system' (I think this is their way of saying it is put in the queue to await review by the medical staff....)

If there is any note from any medical (or other agency) that there may be any previous alcohol or drug misuse or dependence, or if they just feel like it for no apparent reason, then they may write to the GP. This takes them another few weeks to get sent out, the GP then has I believe up to 6 weeks to reply to them, again this enters the 'scanning on the system' queue. They then are reviewed by the medical staff and one of three things eventually happens i) they request further information before they will make a decision, ii) they further decline you for a period of time, or iii) they issue you a licence of between 1 - 10 years.

It is really difficult to generalise on how long someone's application can take, some (lucky people) have their medical and then receive their licence in the post in a week's time, however others are tortured for months longer before knowing their fate.

Yes, DVLA medical consists of questionnaire, medical exam (feeling of liver, stomach, blood pressure, look at eyes etc.), blood test for CDT and if they deem necessary a urine test to check for drug use. Generally after having the medical, it takes a few days for DVLA to receive the blood results and doctor report through, but will more than likely take them a lot longer to 'get scanned on their system' (I think this is their way of saying it is put in the queue to await review by the medical staff....)

If there is any note from any medical (or other agency) that there may be any previous alcohol or drug misuse or dependence, or if they just feel like it for no apparent reason, then they may write to the GP. This takes them another few weeks to get sent out, the GP then has I believe up to 6 weeks to reply to them, again this enters the 'scanning on the system' queue. They then are reviewed by the medical staff and one of three things eventually happens i) they request further information before they will make a decision, ii) they further decline you for a period of time, or iii) they issue you a licence of between 1 - 10 years.

It is really difficult to generalise on how long someone's application can take, some (lucky people) have their medical and then receive their licence in the post in a week's time, however others are tortured for months longer before knowing their fate.
Thank you very much for the detailed reply, I appreciate it. I’m hoping as I have not had a drink for 4 months and my ban was from 2014 I shouldn’t run into any problems although I did get refused a licence in 2016 for a high cdt Im not sure if that’s going to class me as misuse or not?

Thank you very much for the detailed reply, I appreciate it. I’m hoping as I have not had a drink for 4 months and my ban was from 2014 I shouldn’t run into any problems although I did get refused a licence in 2016 for a high cdt Im not sure if that’s going to class me as misuse or not?
It's impossible to say exactly what DVLA use to make their assumptions of whether someone is a misuser or not, however as your previous CDT was high this may well trigger them contacting the GP, just to make sure.

It is important to have the GP on your side, if you haven't seen or spoken to the GP since 2016, when asked for their opinion they may well take the situation back then and say they have no information since then so have to presume it is the same..... This could make DVLA then come back to you to make you prove that you are currently drinking within guidelines, and the only credible way most people can do this is by having LFT's over a period of time showing healthy liver parameters.

I'm sure as you haven't drank for 4 months, your current CDT is going to be just fine but as I always harp on about, this isn't always the only thing they are taking into consideration!

It's impossible to say exactly what DVLA use to make their assumptions of whether someone is a misuser or not, however as your previous CDT was high this may well trigger them contacting the GP, just to make sure.

It is important to have the GP on your side, if you haven't seen or spoken to the GP since 2016, when asked for their opinion they may well take the situation back then and say they have no information since then so have to presume it is the same..... This could make DVLA then come back to you to make you prove that you are currently drinking within guidelines, and the only credible way most people can do this is by having LFT's over a period of time showing healthy liver parameters.

I'm sure as you haven't drank for 4 months, your current CDT is going to be just fine but as I always harp on about, this isn't always the only thing they are taking into consideration!
Thanks mate I understand little better now and I am in almost weekly / every other weekly contact with my GP as I’m quite a severe asthma sufferer, I was asked by them about 3 months ago if I drank etc which I said no as I don’t drink anymore maybe 1 or 2 pints every 6 months or so these days. So they don’t take your CDT in account when contacting GP? Even if I was to score under 1% on the cdt bloods they could still just contact the doctors to fish for anything? I’m quite nervous about the medical as I failed my first one in 2016 but as I say I haven’t had a drop in 4 months so was hoping that would be sufficient to regain my licence as I see people drinking through out and still receiving there licences back. It’s all a bit confusing to be honest. Thanks again tom

Thanks mate I understand little better now and I am in almost weekly / every other weekly contact with my GP as I’m quite a severe asthma sufferer, I was asked by them about 3 months ago if I drank etc which I said no as I don’t drink anymore maybe 1 or 2 pints every 6 months or so these days. So they don’t take your CDT in account when contacting GP? Even if I was to score under 1% on the cdt bloods they could still just contact the doctors to fish for anything? I’m quite nervous about the medical as I failed my first one in 2016 but as I say I haven’t had a drop in 4 months so was hoping that would be sufficient to regain my licence as I see people drinking through out and still receiving there licences back. It’s all a bit confusing to be honest. Thanks again tom
Yeah, I previously was declined for misuse in 2019. Reapplied 6 months later and had a CDT of 0.7% but was declined for dependence! They contacted my GP and the surgery had filled in the questionnaire without speaking to my actual GP, it took my GP writing to DVLA to explain I wasn't, and never had been, dependent but was guilty of previous misuse. Because of Covid, I was delayed for a few more months but then finally given my licence back last July (a 1 year medical licence).

Just be upfront and you'll be fine. Your CDT will be almost certainly less than 1%. I don't think DVLA will fish for something, they just have an obligation to ensure licence holders are safe enough and attempt to ensure there are no skeletons in the cupboard!

Yeah, I previously was declined for misuse in 2019. Reapplied 6 months later and had a CDT of 0.7% but was declined for dependence! They contacted my GP and the surgery had filled in the questionnaire without speaking to my actual GP, it took my GP writing to DVLA to explain I wasn't, and never had been, dependent but was guilty of previous misuse. Because of Covid, I was delayed for a few more months but then finally given my licence back last July (a 1 year medical licence).

Just be upfront and you'll be fine. Your CDT will be almost certainly less than 1%. I don't think DVLA will fish for something, they just have an obligation to ensure licence holders are safe enough and attempt to ensure there are no skeletons in the cupboard!
Thanks very much for you replies Tom, appreciate it mate. I’m just going to go in there positive and tell the truth etc hope it’s returned sooner rather then later. Currently out of a job waiting for it to be returned as I work in construction the irony is I drive excavators for a living and have done since I was banned from driving a car! Concerning me a little you where declined a licence after previously being declined for misuse though but having your licence back is a light at the end of the tunnel for me! Is there any way to check online etc after the medical to see if they are making further enquiries or isit just pot luck and a phone call to DVLA?
cheers

expand...
Hi,I have my medical on the 23rd of this month,I get short term use of 2ml diazepam prescribed by my to attend appointments I have as I struggle bad with anxiety and my doctor will confirm this when contacted by the dvla would this still cause me to fail? lost my licence due to alcohol not misuse of drugs do you think this will be ok they only get prescribed every other month and as I said it is on prescription and the doctor will confirm this,any information would be really appreciated
mobile-insurance-ad.png

Had my medical done today, the longest part of it was waiting for a receptionist to acknowledge my existence. After that, I filled in my questionnaire, the doctor rang me to go through my answers etc while I was in the waiting room (tent outside) then told me to come up, he took my blood and money and sent me on my way, no inspection of my abdomen or eyes or anything. I'm not sure whether to take that as a good sign or a bad one😂
I guess now it's just a waiting game!

Had my medical done today, the longest part of it was waiting for a receptionist to acknowledge my existence. After that, I filled in my questionnaire, the doctor rang me to go through my answers etc while I was in the waiting room (tent outside) then told me to come up, he took my blood and money and sent me on my way, no inspection of my abdomen or eyes or anything. I'm not sure whether to take that as a good sign or a bad one😂
I guess now it's just a waiting game!
Over 20 minutes in my last one

Over 20 minutes in my last one
Weird, the actual 'medical' bit was over in all of literally 5 minutes max for me. I'm hoping it was just because I was able to answer no or very little to all of my questions that he didn't feel the need to do the whole examination and not that he was just writing me off straight away haha.

So, having had my medical cancelled twice last year due to lockdown I managed to get on one in July which meant walking 4 miles each week at 6am to get to the train station as buses were not running to usual timescales but it was worth it.

The next hurdle was the court did not receive confirmation of my attendance at the course so I had to chase that up and get it resent which took another week.

I have no prior issues with my GP in respect of alcohol so knew my medical records were fine. I am not a drinker and did not drink any alcohol for just short of 5 months prior to my medical.

The DVLA wrote me finally in September after many calls to them to advise they had written to my doctor. I then followed up with my doctor, it took a month to get him to complete and send the form off. Then Christmas arrived and then DVLA medical were closed. In the New Year I contacted DVLA again who said they had not received the doctors form so I had to contact my doctor and have that resent.

To cut to the chase my licence was due back in September 2020 and it was January. I wrote a very polite email to the medical department explaining the situation and that my license was due back nearly 5 months previous. Within a week I had received a full licence.

My word on this, it does take patience, if you're licence was due back a few days ago, just hang on. Just make sure you have done everything asked and if you are confident there are no skeletons then email, explain and ask for a timescale.

I received my licence back in January, but have only driven for the first time today as my car has been in the garage for a month.

It was liberating and empowering to drive down the road and despite the 5 month delay, the biggest takeaway is what I have learned about myself in this process so don't despair do the right thing and the right thing will come back right to you.

can anyone advise me how I can escalate my case please, so here is the back story! I applied for my medical way back in October 2020 but couldn't get an appointment till 14/01/2021 due to Covid and Christmas, I had a letter dated 19/10/2020 saying they had written to my GP for further info, I called my GP he advised me that he would be saying i'm fit to drive and there were no concerns his end, I then received the letter giving me the appointment for the 14/01/2020, I attended my medical and had no reason that is would fail as I no longer drink and had not drank since the September of 2020, fast forwards to today 15/03/2021 and the DVLA just keep telling me that my case is with the decision makers and I will have to wait!! is this a serious timescale??? even with covid this feels crazy to me!!!
Any advise would be great.
Many thanks in advance

Hi.
I recently went for my medical/ urine test on 13/1/21 and I was clean as I had done a home urine test before I went. But now I have to go back for another urine test as the urine samples taken weren't sealed properly so they weren't acceptable?
Absolute shambles if you ask me. Spoke to someone recently about this and said they had 5 different medicals/ urine tests over a year period. Its like they can't accept someone is clean.
As long as they keep paying for the medical they can keep playing with my piss. Need to be up early in the morning to catch me out.lol
Just letting you all know about the tricks these people are upto.
Hi,
This repeat sample required due to "unfortunately the seals on the bottles were not sealed" has happened to me too, which I am very dubious about, as I watched the Dr apply the labels I had signed around the lids. Have you found out any more info about what this game is about? I feel reluctant to make the 3 hour round trip to Princes Risborough again to provide sample if there's a possibility this is a silly game...

Hi,
This repeat sample required due to "unfortunately the seals on the bottles were not sealed" has happened to me too, which I am very dubious about, as I watched the Dr apply the labels I had signed around the lids. Have you found out any more info about what this game is about? I feel reluctant to make the 3 hour round trip to Princes Risborough again to provide sample if there's a possibility this is a silly game...
Why would they ask you for a urine test? I thought the CDT was a blood test?

Hello all,

I was banned in May 2009 for 24 months, with a 6 month reduction for completing the drink drive rehabilitation course, which I completed. As such, my licence is due to be reinstated in early November, subject to a medical examination.

This concerns me greatly as my alcohol consumption is quite regular, although not excessive. Common sense dictates that total abstinence is advisable and I'd like to allow myself as long as possible, within reason, before booking the medical.

DVLA have posted form D1 to me this week and inform me that upon my returning it to them they will be in contact with regard to arranging a medical. Ideally, I would like this to happen not sooner than 2 - 2.5 months down the line i.e late October.

My question is this. Should I 'sit on' form D1 and post a few weeks from now ? Or if I post it in now, will I have the option of booking a medical 2 - 2.5 months from now, or might it happen as quickly in a week or two ?

I am sure that many of you have been in this position. Could you please advise the timescales and procedures from returning form D1 to DVLA Swansea and physically arranging a date for the medical.

Thanks in anticipation.

daracam
Soon as possible. I started all this in November and still haven’t got my licence back. I was unbanned in October.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off