DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
As I said, giving details on a form for a person asking for their licence back is not NHS work.
That is why they can claim for it.
The DVLA Doctor is only paid for a quick examination and asking a blood sample. He / she would want a lot of money to contact to a GP to get access to someone’s medical file and then review years worth of medical notes. Some GP files are still not computerised.
There is a big delay in getting to see a DVLA doctor, if they were tied up for hours doing a check of the medical notes, appointments would become very scarce and the fees would go up considerably (remember all the charges for the CDT test and the medical examination is paid for by you (about £96, would you be happy with this doubling or more?)
The GP is currently paid out of the £90 fee that DVLA charge to get your licence back. If the GP was paid a reasonable rate for filling in the form then that fee would go up as well.

I think the current delays will settle down. Covid is receding, Labs will not be so busy doing PCR tests, Doctors will not be helping out with Covid boosters and things will be done quicker. I know that is no consolation for people waiting now though……
There is no obvious rationale as to why DVLA write to GP’s or not. It may be about a high reading or concerns 2 convictions i 10 years making them want to look at the persons medical history. It will NEVER be the case that the DVLA doctor will be allowed to interrogate the drivers medical notes, so the only way that this can be achieved is by writing to the GP to request it, and paying for the service.
So if I understand you correctly, the GP gets paid less than the Doctor who undertook your DVLA medical! Does anyone know how much of the £90 they receive? It does seem a slightly invidious system where your medical information is requested from your GP but from what I have read and what you say, your GP could easily just turn round and say "no, I can't be bothered because I've got enough money."

I'd happily pay a higher fee if it could guarantee a quicker turnaround.

Oh, and just to rub salt into the wounds, I received a letter from the DVLA this morning telling me what I already know, that they haven't yet received my GP's report and that this is down to Covid and I hope you understand, etc, etc.

PLEASE HELP SOMEONE!!!

hi, my licence is due to expire early march. ive not received anything from the dvla about a renewal through the post but i remember from before that i can download the forms online

i was granted a 1 yr licence due to drug/alcohol misuse. does anybody know which forms i need to re-apply? is it the green d1 form + 1 other?

also, where do i send it?

i've been calling the dvla for a week now, impossible to get through, i want to pull my hair out!

Hi, is anybody else having trouble booking the medical?
I received my letter asking me to arrange a medical on December the 4th but the Dr they’ve asked me to book it with has no appointments. I’ve rang every week but they just say try next week.
If I ask the DVLA to let me go to another Dr that’ll probably take them months to arrange. Not sure what to do.
DVLA recently my application 3rd September. Ban ended 12th October, very frustrating.

As I said, giving details on a form for a person asking for their licence back is not NHS work.
That is why they can claim for it.
The DVLA Doctor is only paid for a quick examination and asking a blood sample. He / she would want a lot of money to contact to a GP to get access to someone’s medical file and then review years worth of medical notes. Some GP files are still not computerised.
There is a big delay in getting to see a DVLA doctor, if they were tied up for hours doing a check of the medical notes, appointments would become very scarce and the fees would go up considerably (remember all the charges for the CDT test and the medical examination is paid for by you (about £96, would you be happy with this doubling or more?)
The GP is currently paid out of the £90 fee that DVLA charge to get your licence back. If the GP was paid a reasonable rate for filling in the form then that fee would go up as well.

I think the current delays will settle down. Covid is receding, Labs will not be so busy doing PCR tests, Doctors will not be helping out with Covid boosters and things will be done quicker. I know that is no consolation for people waiting now though……
There is no obvious rationale as to why DVLA write to GP’s or not. It may be about a high reading or concerns 2 convictions i 10 years making them want to look at the persons medical history. It will NEVER be the case that the DVLA doctor will be allowed to interrogate the drivers medical notes, so the only way that this can be achieved is by writing to the GP to request it, and paying for the service.
Hi price I've been absent from forum currently sect88. Was t there a government consultation to allow GPS to do medicals thereby busting the monopoly of "approved" dvla doctors

I Failed to provide. I have CDT blood test. My letter doesn’t state any other tests but it does state “I’m addition you must also meet all other medical standards for safe driving” what does this mean? More tests? Urine? Ect.

I Failed to provide. I have CDT blood test. My letter doesn’t state any other tests but it does state “I’m addition you must also meet all other medical standards for safe driving” what does this mean? More tests? Urine? Ect.
There is a list of medical conditions on the DVLA website somewhere that would prohibit you from driving.

In relation to alcohol, they may write to your GP and ask if you have ever been dependent or abused alcohol in the last 6 years and is so, have you then proven abstinence for either 12 or 6 months respectively.

Hi price I've been absent from forum currently sect88. Was t there a government consultation to allow GPS to do medicals thereby busting the monopoly of "approved" dvla doctors
I have not seen such a consultation.
The only one that I have seen is to allow nurses to do the DVLA medical enquiry forms instead of the GP at your surgery.

I have not seen such a consultation.
The only one that I have seen is to allow nurses to do the DVLA medical enquiry forms instead of the GP at your surgery.
I'm sure the proposal /consultation was ongoing mid November till 2nd December.. Just can't recall where! I'll try and track down. TBH I thought you'd have heard of it..

I'm sure the proposal /consultation was ongoing mid November till 2nd December.. Just can't recall where! I'll try and track down. TBH I thought you'd have heard of it..
This is the consultation document, it proposes that health care professionals complete the questionnaires currently sent to GP’s to complete but that is NOT anything to do with the actual medical EXAMINATIONS that are done by DVLA approved doctors

This is the consultation document, it proposes that health care professionals complete the questionnaires currently sent to GP’s to complete but that is NOT anything to do with the actual medical EXAMINATIONS that are done by DVLA approved doctors

Ah correct. I suppose a radical move though for Ms Lennard to have hands on the shambles. 😉

There is a list of medical conditions on the DVLA website somewhere that would prohibit you from driving.

In relation to alcohol, they may write to your GP and ask if you have ever been dependent or abused alcohol in the last 6 years and is so, have you then proven abstinence for either 12 or 6 months respectively.
I don’t have any medical conditions. I just refused stupidly to give bloods. I’m not in the HRO CATEGORIES. The letter states I need to give blood for the CDT test. I’m just curious if I will have to do a urine test? It doesn’t state it on my letter but I’m just curious. Thanks for the reply

I don’t have any medical conditions. I just refused stupidly to give bloods. I’m not in the HRO CATEGORIES. The letter states I need to give blood for the CDT test. I’m just curious if I will have to do a urine test? It doesn’t state it on my letter but I’m just curious. Thanks for the reply
Have you reported any drug use? Even to your GP? Have you had a drug swab and come back positive for anything? If no then you don't need a urine test

Have you reported any drug use? Even to your GP? Have you had a drug swab and come back positive for anything? If no then you don't need a urine test
I consumed a cannabis food product on a Friday night. I was called into work the next day. I was pulled over and had a positive swab for cannabis. Everything I have from the DVLA regards to drink driving. My letter states they are testing for alcohol misuse. I don’t drink alcohol. I occasionally use THC to treat back pain from a boxing injury. My GP is unaware. I keep it very private as I appreciate using thc is frowned upon. I’m a professional boxer therefore the questionnaire regarding to my health should be okay as I keep very high levels of fitness.

I consumed a cannabis food product on a Friday night. I was called into work the next day. I was pulled over and had a positive swab for cannabis. Everything I have from the DVLA regards to drink driving. My letter states they are testing for alcohol misuse. I don’t drink alcohol. I occasionally use THC to treat back pain from a boxing injury. My GP is unaware. I keep it very private as I appreciate using thc is frowned upon. I’m a professional boxer therefore the questionnaire regarding to my health should be okay as I keep very high levels of fitness.
If you were swabbed by the police as having THC in your system I'd be prepared for the urine test.. although I've never had experience with that. Hopefully you don't as it seems to current wait is somewhere between 6-10 months.

Not for CDT. Just blood.

Sorry
Not for CDT. Just bl
Not for CDT. Just blood.
Sorry I am a HRO. As i refused to give bloods.
The letter states CDT test for alcohol consumption. Basically all I am trying to work out is - would the letter state I need to carry out a urine test or can they just say on the day without any warning we need urine sample? - I’m willing to give it would just be nice to know before hand. As it only states on the letter blood tests.

If you were swabbed by the police as having THC in your system I'd be prepared for the urine test.. although I've never had experience with that. Hopefully you don't as it seems to current wait is somewhere between 6-10 months.
Thanks for getting back to me!
when you say you haven’t had experience from that - is that just referring to what you have read throughout this online thread? I hope I don’t have to as 6-10 months would cripple me financially. Biggest mistake of my life losing my licence. Like most I’ve lost a lot but only myself to blame.

Thanks for getting back to me!
when you say you haven’t had experience from that - is that just referring to what you have read throughout this online thread? I hope I don’t have to as 6-10 months would cripple me financially. Biggest mistake of my life losing my licence. Like most I’ve lost a lot but only myself to blame.
By having no experience I mean from being swabbed, I've had a urine test because I admitted to benzo use during my ban, I've been waiting 6.5 months for my urine sample to be processed, I have heard someone else having to wait 10 months. Good luck I hope you just need a blood sample

Sorry

Sorry I am a HRO. As i refused to give bloods.
The letter states CDT test for alcohol consumption. Basically all I am trying to work out is - would the letter state I need to carry out a urine test or can they just say on the day without any warning we need urine sample? - I’m willing to give it would just be nice to know before hand. As it only states on the letter blood tests.

The situation you might find yourself in is that the DVLA ‘system’ tends to throw out medicals for blood CDT tests routinely. Then when the result eventually gets back to DVLA, and is eventually looked at, the medical department see that the offence involved failing to supply for a drugs offence and only then request a urine sample.
One option would be to contact DVLA (difficult I know) to point out that the offence involved an accusation of drug driving and see if they will cancel the blood part and go straight to urine.
There is the slight chance that they will not realise that drugs were involved, you give a low CDT score from the blood sample and you get your licence back, but if you risk that rather than the direct approach, it could delay you getting your licence back several months while the 2 tests are run sequentially.

The situation you might find yourself in is that the DVLA ‘system’ tends to throw out medicals for blood CDT tests routinely. Then when the result eventually gets back to DVLA, and is eventually looked at, the medical department see that the offence involved failing to supply for a drugs offence and only then request a urine sample.
One option would be to contact DVLA (difficult I know) to point out that the offence involved an accusation of drug driving and see if they will cancel the blood part and go straight to urine.
There is the slight chance that they will not realise that drugs were involved, you give a low CDT score from the blood sample and you get your licence back, but if you risk that rather than the direct approach, it could delay you getting your licence back several months while the 2 tests are run sequentially.
I thought as much. Are you certain the Blood test is only subject of alcohol? Some other members have stated 6-10months for urine so I hope not. In regards to contacting the DVLA isn’t that misconduct on their behalf? Surely the medical questionnaire is subject to further testing. I tested positive for THC which is something I have stopped due to losing my licence as my licence is far more important than anything else.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off