DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Bollocks, they will never issue a temporary licence after a drunk driving case

Not sure what you mean by "my medical is complete' in reply to my explanation about old 'letters of authority to drive'. My explanation was in response to your comment above

I got a letter with an application form to re-apply for my license 90 days before my disqualification ended - 16th March.
I completed the form and sent it off on 3rd April.
I had another letter with the name of the nearest GP who could do the medical on behalf of DVLA on 19th April.
Appointment made with the GP for 2nd May.
Received my license in the post on 16th May.

My last night out/drink was on 7th April, so I hadn’t drank alcohol for 3.5 weeks prior to the medical and I was taking milk thistle tablets every day running up to the medical. I don’t know what my exact results of the medical were yet, but I passed it and that’s the main thing.

Good luck!

Hi. I had my medical on 14th August and they wrote to me this weekend saying they are contacting my gp. I did write a post to explain all but don't think I did it right. Why would they write to my gp? Am I likely to lose my license for another 6 months to a year? I have no alcohol issues logged with my gp, just depression and anxiety. I don't drink alot, I didn't drink 5 and a half weeks before medical and wasn't drinking alot before then., i like to maybe have some wine on my fortnightly weekends off but as happy just not drinking..My worry is I was charged for failure to report an accident as well as drink driving (post incident drinking with no evidence, long story! Not guilty of what I was charged with, but yes very long story), I wasn't drunk or under influence when this happened it was bad parralel parking in a tight space, I tried to explain this to the dvla doctor however the courts convicted me of this and I didn't know whether to say yes because they decided I was guilty or no because I'm not guilty, but doc just ticked yes before I could explain, does this mean no license back?

I got a 16 mth ban, licence was due back 30th Jan I got refused because of my medical cdt test, I even paid to do the course and take four months off, they said I have to go another year with no drinking at all, does it really take a year to reduce your levels,

Hi, just reading through the comments on here and my ban ended on 28th feb 2019 and I’m still waiting! Had to fill in 2 separate questionnaires then they wrote to my GP and my doc wanted to see me they finally have all this info and now I’m being sent for the medical but my appointment isn’t until the 23rd April. Dvla know I need an answer by 30th April for a job can I call them tomorrow and ask for a cover note or do I have to wait until I have had the medical? Thanks in advance

Hi, just reading through the comments on here and my ban ended on 28th feb 2019 and I’m still waiting! Had to fill in 2 separate questionnaires then they wrote to my GP and my doc wanted to see me they finally have all this info and now I’m being sent for the medical but my appointment isn’t until the 23rd April. Dvla know I need an answer by 30th April for a job can I call them tomorrow and ask for a cover note or do I have to wait until I have had the medical? Thanks in advance
If you were disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1st June 2013 you cannot drive until you have passed the DVLA medical.

Advise please.

I drink 3 or 4 nights midweek, 4 cans of 4.2%... Plus weekends, about 10-12 pints!!!!

All my checks with Dr. BP, cholestotal, LFT all good BUT i am concerned about the CDT test....

I plan on abstaining totally for 2 months/60 days before my ban ends...

After reading through this thread i can't seem to find an average on when.

Ban Ends on 23/09/2019 or 23 Sept 2019
Stop Drinking 26/04/2019 or 26 April 2019 -60 days
Minus 90 days = 25/06/2019 or 25 June 2019 -This is when i can fill in apply for my licence?? DR1 form is sent out automatically or i can d/l it.

Does this seem correct to you?

If i apply for my licence at the earliest possible date of 25/06/2019 what can i expect as next steps/dates/medical etc?

Thanks

Advise please.

I drink 3 or 4 nights midweek, 4 cans of 4.2%... Plus weekends, about 10-12 pints!!!!

All my checks with Dr. BP, cholestotal, LFT all good BUT i am concerned about the CDT test....

I plan on abstaining totally for 2 months/60 days before my ban ends...

After reading through this thread i can't seem to find an average on when.

Minus 90 days = 25/06/2019 or 25 June 2019 -This is when i can fill in apply for my licence?? DR1 form is sent out automatically or i can d/l it.

If i apply for my licence at the earliest possible date of 25/06/2019 what can i expect as next steps/dates/medical etc?

Thanks

Hi mate

I have filled in my DR1 form which they sent through to me. Filled that in, paid via cheque and sent next day recorded. I think I then received the instructions for my medical about 7-10 working days after. I then phoned to book to be told there’s no dates come available yet, but I have till 27th may to have it completed by. Wouldn’t stress over it turning up too much because it will come. I just want to get the medical done, get the results and then can relax and just wait to get that letter arrive with the license in.

Also might be worth a trip/ call to your local doctors and just have it on record that you don’t have a drink problem. As I have seen issues where the dvla doctors have wrote to the local gp who has then replied with ‘I don’t know’ to a drinking problem. Purely because that person has never visited. So I just wanted it on record that I don’t. As I don’t want any delays.

Hope that helps you pal and the time goes past as my ham finishes 01/07/19 in 66 days...not that I’m counting lol

Thanks

You can apply for your driving licence up to 90 days before your ban is due to end if you are a high risk offender.

In theory the DVLA should send you out renewal reminders but these often turn up late or not at all.

You are better off ordering a D1 application pack online here as you really need to get your application in as early as possible due to possible delays with the medical process as the last thing most people want is being unable to drive once their ban has expired because the DVLA medical assessment process is still ongoing.

Well I had my medical on the 23rd April Dvla received all my results back by the 25th April and since then I have been told each time I call my case it with the doctor waiting to be reviewed!! They keep saying I’m on the highest priority but cannot tell me when they will have an answer just say any time! They have had all the info for a week now and still waiting! I’m so fed up! How long did it take for all you guys to get your licence after you had your medical?

Well I had my medical on the 23rd April Dvla received all my results back by the 25th April and since then I have been told each time I call my case it with the doctor waiting to be reviewed!! They keep saying I’m on the highest priority but cannot tell me when they will have an answer just say any time! They have had all the info for a week now and still waiting! I’m so fed up! How long did it take for all you guys to get your licence after you had your medical?

I have read on here that sometimes it can take 3-4 months!!!

My ban is up on 23 Sept 2019, minus 90 days gives me -25 June 2019

I ordered my DR1 pack yesterday and plan on posting it on 24 June (date it the 26th to be safe)

Not drank for about 2 months now (apart from one funeral).

When people say the DVLA send the DR1 pack out do they send it ON your end date, or prior, eg a week or two before with a letter stating when your ban is up??

I can not WAIT to get this behind me ASAP!!!......

Cheers

Feel free to have a read through my thread as I have put all my timescales on there.

I went for a DVLA medical 23 April 2019 to renew my PCV licence. My GP has concerns that I drink too much (which I do/did). 2 weeks after my medical I stopped drinking completely - through choice (and worry that I could have my car licence suspended). Can DVLA suspend my licence after one blood test/medical? I haven’t heard anything back from DVLA yet. Should I be concerned?

I went for a DVLA medical 23 April 2019 to renew my PCV licence. My GP has concerns that I drink too much (which I do/did). 2 weeks after my medical I stopped drinking completely - through choice (and worry that I could have my car licence suspended). Can DVLA suspend my licence after one blood test/medical? I haven’t heard anything back from DVLA yet. Should I be concerned?
I would be very concerned Wonky not only for PCV but ordinary licence, the fact your GP has concerns will have huge impact on the DVLA'S decision regardless of the blood checks.
I don't know your history regarding consumption but if your drinking regularly above 14 units a week you may be classed dependant which will require 3 years abstinence PCV and 1 year ordinary licence
If the doctor reports binge drinking you will be 6 months abstinence ordinary licence and minimum 1 year for PCV but that will take a huge effort to regain if your red flagged

I just wanted to let everyone know of my recent DVLA medical experience as I used this to track and get info however wasn't much up to date info. I moved address so I never received a letter saying I need to have a medical being high risk. I booked my medical on 28th July. I had to wait until 28th August for my appointment. They sent off the blood test on the same day to the DVLA. I chased up two or three times on the medical line. They received the blood test only a few days after they sent it off. I called this morning 6th August and they have approved and issued out a license for me. Only 7 working days it took. Very good!

I just wanted to let everyone know of my recent DVLA medical experience as I used this to track and get info however wasn't much up to date info. I moved address so I never received a letter saying I need to have a medical being high risk. I booked my medical on 28th July. I had to wait until 28th August for my appointment. They sent off the blood test on the same day to the DVLA. I chased up two or three times on the medical line. They received the blood test only a few days after they sent it off. I called this morning 6th August and they have approved and issued out a license for me. Only 7 working days it took. Very good!
Didn’t they ask your GP for. You ur history?

Afternoon everyone,

Finally got that little bit of pink plastic in the post today with 14 days left to go after a 2 year ban reduced down to 1 Year 6 Months 15 Days after completing the course.

Time scale below

Banned April 26th 2018
Completed Course - May 2019
Applied for new Licence - First week of August 2019
Received medical letter - 9th August 2019
Medical booked - 27th August 2019
DVLA received blood and wrote to GP - Between 27th August to 16th Sept 2019
GP received letter - 16th Sept 2019
DVLA received letter from GP - 15th October 2019
Licence issued - 21st October 2019
Licence Received - 24th October 2019
Ban end - 8th Nov 2019

CDT level of .08% - No drink mid week, a social binge of 10-15 pints every other Saturday usually.. Length of t-total no drinking leading up to blood test, 22 days.

To all those with a lengthy ban left, hang in there, after the first few months of adapting, it will fly by.

Good Luck to you all, and DONT DRINK AND DRIVE!

Hi All,
I have not drank any alcohol for nearly 3 years, on my birthday I went out with my daughter for a meal and was drinking Non Alcohol Prescecco ordered for me by my daughter only for her to find out it was the Alcohol version and I had 3 glasses already.
I have my DVLA medical to do and received the paperwork it says I must complete medical within 6 weeks.
Just wondering if my CDT levels will be high ... I have ordered a CDT testing kit from Medichecks and hope to do this before DVLA medical just wondering if this stupid miss hap will have raised my CDT levels.
I knew I was going for medical and would never have taken alcohol but shit happens and I have thru no fault of my own taken it.
Any help wouldd be great as nerves is getting the better of me :(((((

Well done you for not drinking for three years, 3 glasses of proseco is highly unlikely to raise CDT levels given that you don't drink, CDT levels will only be raised if you were drinking 4/5 cans of fosters a day every day, you're also allowed 14 units of alcohol per week albeit not in one sitting, this minor blip will be absolutely fine and personally myself I wouldn't of bothered with medi checks....

Thanks for that but nerves thru the roof, daughter so upset with restaurant and they never charged for the Prescecco.
I have ordered the Medichecks CDT test so will take it, also have been and seen my doctor who supports me.
The problem is I said on the previous form to DVLA that I do not drink last Alcohol was 30.3.2017 but if CDT levels show I have been drinking even just those 3 glasses that makes me a liar and they may start more questions, what a fool I have been but I did not know it was Alcoholic they made the mistake but as DVLA will say it was me that drunk it.
There was no way in this earth I was going to drink whatsoever but more so when I had the medical to do but hey ho will just wait and see.
Thanks again.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off