DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Update I got through to the DVLA this morning who have said I need to complete a M1 form which is a medical questionnaire and send it back to them - they haven’t sent it to my GP just me

Trying to tease information here so you can be given advice/knowledge..... What was your blood reading when you were charged? Where in the UK were you convicted? What was the offence code (DR10, DR30, DG10 etc...) How long had you had a licence for before you were caught?
thanks for your reply i manage to speak to DVLA this morning to a very helpful lady , the person I spoke to last week was so unhelpful I now know the reason they were looking in to it and hopefully all sorted and I wont need a medical

thanks for your reply i manage to speak to DVLA this morning to a very helpful lady , the person I spoke to last week was so unhelpful I now know the reason they were looking in to it and hopefully all sorted and I wont need a medical
Oh good. That clears it up and helps everyone else out then............

You can also download them jodi as i filled one out before reapplying but nice lady from DVLA said you can download them also
Hey thanks for that, I did download it yesterday to speed things up it’s already back in the post and all the questions regarding use of alcohol in the last 12 months are I answered no because it’s the truth... do you think they may just give me my license now without going to the doctors

Hey thanks for that, I did download it yesterday to speed things up it’s already back in the post and all the questions regarding use of alcohol in the last 12 months are I answered no because it’s the truth... do you think they may just give me my license now without going to the doctors
M1 is usually followed by a M2 sent to your GP to confirm what you said on your form that’s what happened my M1 anyway

Update: i have just been told i have been issued a 1 year licence.

Background: mental health breakdown and alcohol dependency in 2019 last drink was 09/03/2020 used all services from the NHS kept my doctor informed of my recovery and logged my last drink with him.

Time frame:
medical took 7 weeks to get finally had it on 05/01/2021
Disqualified date 18/01/2021
DVLA wrote to my doctor on 28/02/2021 he replied on the 01/03/2021
DVLA called me today 24/03/2021

hope this helps

Hi Everyone, first time poster but been using forum for advice the past few months whilst starting my application to get licence back.
So got DR10 in Apr 2012 blew 85 after work xmas night out, was young and stupid and realised immediately the seriousness of my actions.
Fast forward to September 2020 and I got the urge with lockdown etc to reapply for my licence and get back on the road. I applied and was classed as HRO and got my medical booked for 10th March which I attended and now await the results. Last drink I had was at New Year and didnt have anything in those 9 weeks approx prior to my medical, I'm only a social drinker, weekend few pints with mates or during lockdown just a few cans for the footie at home, never had a problem with alcohol dependency so I'm assuming that it should be a simple case and licence will be returned in due course. Is there any timescale as to when this might be?

The timescale varies, but so long as your GP has no concerns, you are allowed to drive whilst your application is being considered Under S88 Road Traffic Act 1988. This is because your conviction was prior to 1st June 2013.
having said that, you have to persuade an insurance company to cover you with what appears to be no licence..... but legally you can drive.

The timescale varies, but so long as your GP has no concerns, you are allowed to drive whilst your application is being considered Under S88 Road Traffic Act 1988. This is because your conviction was prior to 1st June 2013.
having said that, you have to persuade an insurance company to cover you with what appears to be no licence..... but legally you can drive.
Ok thanks for the info, this isn't something I was aware of
On the insurance side of things, I was doing some online quotes on various cars to get a rough price for getting back on the road, they seemed to only be asking about any driving convictions etc within the last 5 years... therefore I wouldnt need to advise them as my conviction was year before that and it wouldn't affect the quote?

Ok thanks for the info, this isn't something I was aware of
On the insurance side of things, I was doing some online quotes on various cars to get a rough price for getting back on the road, they seemed to only be asking about any driving convictions etc within the last 5 years... therefore I wouldnt need to advise them as my conviction was year before that and it wouldn't affect the quote?
That is correct, there is no need to disclose the conviction from 2012, but of course if you were to want to use S88 to drive now, the insurance company would want to know why you have not got a full licence, and it would come out that way. Once your licence has been renewed you can get insurance with a ‘clean’ licence. (For insurance purposes, that is, though the DR10 will still be valid until 2023 on your licence record)

Last edited:

Background: mental health breakdown and alcohol dependency in 2019 last drink was 09/03/2020 used all services from the NHS kept my doctor informed of my recovery and logged my last drink with him.

Time frame:

hope this helps
Congratulations I got min

Time frame:

hope this

Time frame:

Time frame:

hope this helps
Congratulations I got my 12 month license last Tuesday after a long and stressful 10 months no bloody car sale places to get a car though but I’m driving the work transit van so at least I’m driving I’d have been more than happy to drive a skip on wheels 😂

Hi all
I dont know what to do my disqualification has been spent and I didnt get reminder from dvla for renewal driving licence I am not sure if that apply only for high risk offender? I am on DR10 endorsment blow 70mg 100ml of breath they didnt take my driving licence from me so I am not sure if I can still driving on my old driving licence or apply fro new ones?

That is correct, there is no need to disclose the conviction from 2012, but of course if you were to want to use S88 to drive now, the insurance company would want to know why you have not got a full licence, and it would come out that way. Once your licence has been renewed you can get insurance with a ‘clean’ licence. (For insurance purposes, that is, though the DR10 will still be valid until 2023 on your licence record)
Just checked the DVLA licence checker and I've been issued a 10 year licence, absolutely delighted.
For anyone looking for timescale,

Medical 10th March
(Answered No to all questions as didnt apply as no history of alcohol misuse)
Licence Issued 1st April

Just checked the DVLA licence checker and I've been issued a 10 year licence, absolutely delighted.
For anyone looking for timescale,

Medical 10th March
(Answered No to all questions as didnt apply as no history of alcohol misuse)
Licence Issued 1st April
Gbrall - Thats really good news!

For reference, Can I ask what you blew? Also did you chase the DVLA at all or was that the timeframe without chasing.

Thanks

Gbrall - Thats really good news!

For reference, Can I ask what you blew? Also did you chase the DVLA at all or was that the timeframe without chasing.

Thanks
I was banned for 2 yrs in 2012, blew 85 so classed as a HRO when I decided to apply to get my licence back in september 2020. Didnt chase up DVLA, just used the licence checker on their website every few days to see if any updates appeared, was expecting a long wait going by other peoples experiences on the forum so was pleasantly surprised to see it had been issued from today.

Gibraltar,
You could have driven under S88 while your application was being processed a your conviction was prior to June 2013.

I was banned for 2 yrs in 2012, blew 85 so classed as a HRO when I decided to apply to get my licence back in september 2020. Didnt chase up DVLA, just used the licence checker on their website every few days to see if any updates appeared, was expecting a long wait going by other peoples experiences on the forum so was pleasantly surprised to see it had been issued from today.
Blowing 85 will not class as an HRO, the threshold is 87.5 or more. Is this your second + offence in last 10 years or with Failing to provide which will make you a HRO

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off