DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
I've found this forum thread very helpful.

Had my medical on 17th May. I then received a letter from the DVLA dated 25th May to say that had written to my GP for further information.

I stopped drinking 2020 shortly after my conviction (previous periodic binge drinker mainly triggered by past depression). My GP notes will show i commenced anti-depressant medication for a while as well as counselling after the conviction to address the triggers for my previous drinking. It will be documented that I last drank April 2020 and when i changed GP late 2020 i confirmed i was teetotal with zero alcohol units per week on their new patient questionnaire. I stopped the anti-depressants early 2021 i think it was so i've not been back to the GP for ages. Just a little bit worried after reading this thread that i perhaps should have attended before commencing the DVLA medical process to reconfirm i don't drink! My ban ended September 2021 but only reapplied April this year.

Hoping it won't be too much longer before i hear either way. Keep checking online, it's torture! I'd be happy with a temp licence as well, just desperately need to be driving again
Usually in these circumstances DVLA will look for recent medical evidence confirming your alcohol problems are controlled, and with any mental health issues you are usually asked to fill out a M1 form to confirm your depression is controlled as well, if you haven’t seen a Gp in a while and dvla are unaware of your previous alcohol history then once this comes to light a refusal often follows, with the 12 month of abstinence required and medical evidence, not the words you want to hear I know but this usually is the reality…what did you tick at your medical questionarre?? Was it no to all alcohol questions??

Last edited:
Oh wow - that's amazing news. Thank you - now you mention it I think I recall this being the case but when I looked at it again I'd forgotten what I'd thought a year ago. You're a gent for taking the time to reply (y)
You’re welcome, so next time your valid licence runs out just make sure you have submitted an application form to Dvla and use section 88 ….

Usually in these circumstances DVLA will look for recent medical evidence confirming your alcohol problems are controlled, and with any mental health issues you are usually asked to fill out a M1 form to confirm your depression is controlled as well, if you haven’t seen a Gp in a while and dvla are unaware of your previous alcohol history then once this comes to light a refusal often follows, with the 12 month of abstinence required and medical evidence, not the words you want to hear I know but this usually is the reality…what did you tick at your medical questionarre?? Was it no to all alcohol questions??
Thank you, i've resigned myself to this fate unfortunately ! I wouldn't be overly bothered ordinarily and understand they have safeguarding protocols but i'm going to have to tell the person who's involved with me in my business about why i can't get a van yet.

I didn't select no to all the questions, admitted past concerns but nothing in the last 12 months and yes to where others had concerns but that it hadn't been in the last year. Can't quite remember what the questions were now but my answers will tally with the GP records as i knew they'd probably get my records

I'm on my first renewal of licence (12 months expired on 30th June). Medical had and doc form submitted a month ago (all no problem as stopped drinking 3 years ago) and I'm still waiting on my renewal.
My licence expired in November and I had my medical in March.. still waiting. If it's not here by November then I can just send another application form and continue to drive on S88, which just completely defeats the object of 1 year medical licences when I've been driving nearly 2 years since my first medical back in 2021

Thank you, i've resigned myself to this fate unfortunately ! I wouldn't be overly bothered ordinarily and understand they have safeguarding protocols but i'm going to have to tell the person who's involved with me in my business about why i can't get a van yet.

I didn't select no to all the questions, admitted past concerns but nothing in the last 12 months and yes to where others had concerns but that it hadn't been in the last year. Can't quite remember what the questions were now but my answers will tally with the GP records as i knew they'd probably get my records
So at least you’ve been honest with your paperwork which Dvla will take into account that you have had problems but that you have dealt or dealing with them which is always a good sign, on the paperwork there’s a question “last seen for this condition “ so DVLA like you to be in regular contact with the Gp and possibly to have supplied liver function tests to corroborate as your medical evidence, however if these tests were not conducted then your Gp would/will answer “ patient states alcohol free” which DVLA will accept ,I would if I were you get in touch with your Gp asap as there is a good chance that the form that has been sent out hasn’t been filled in, the GPs have a six week turnaround for the medical form DD2 to be returned, and often they go over this timescale , but as I have pointed out it could well be a refusal, if it is on your letter will be an appeal decision for which you can use and send all medical evidence plus a LFT TEST to “ the further medical evidence route” you can use this option it’ll take time as I’m sure you are aware but it’ll be quicker than waiting twelve months, your only missing an LFT and recent contact with your Gp, so not all is lost, there is hope ….😊

So at least you’ve been honest with your paperwork which Dvla will take into account that you have had problems but that you have dealt or dealing with them which is always a good sign, on the paperwork there’s a question “last seen for this condition “ so DVLA like you to be in regular contact with the Gp and possibly to have supplied liver function tests to corroborate as your medical evidence, however if these tests were not conducted then your Gp would/will answer “ patient states alcohol free” which DVLA will accept ,I would if I were you get in touch with your Gp asap as there is a good chance that the form that has been sent out hasn’t been filled in, the GPs have a six week turnaround for the medical form DD2 to be returned, and often they go over this timescale , but as I have pointed out it could well be a refusal, if it is on your letter will be an appeal decision for which you can use and send all medical evidence plus a LFT TEST to “ the further medical evidence route” you can use this option it’ll take time as I’m sure you are aware but it’ll be quicker than waiting twelve months, your only missing an LFT and recent contact with your Gp, so not all is lost, there is hope ….😊
Thank you so much this is really helpful. I'm going to ring the GP tomorrow, fingers crossed! It's worth a try and i'll ask for an LFT too

You’re welcome, so next time your valid licence runs out just make sure you have submitted an application form to Dvla and use section 88 ….
As a post-script - just checked DVLA website and my licence (expired 30th June) was issued on 8th July for another year so I was only Section 88 driving for a week (and then I only drove once). Thanks again to Honestman whose prompt enabled that one journey which was an important one (y) :)

Just an update on time scales, applied for my licence back on 22/5.
Got a medical on 25/7
GP informed and doesn’t have a problem with me getting my licence back
Sent a year’s LFT’S as proof of abstaining from alcohol with my application on 22/5
Let’s see what happens

As a post-script - just checked DVLA website and my licence (expired 30th June) was issued on 8th July for another year so I was only Section 88 driving for a week (and then I only drove once). Thanks again to Honestman whose prompt enabled that one journey which was an important one (y) :)

Fab news enjoy your freedom once again 😃 👍

They scanned my paperwork last friday its going to the dvla doctor next step. How long did it take for them to send you a letter for a medical and they scanned you onto the system.
I’ve sent my paperwork to DVLA in middle of February and I’ve got the letter (to book my medical) on the 2nd of May! (But unfortunately I had to reschedule as I had some unexpected family issues)

I’ve sent my paperwork to DVLA in middle of February and I’ve got the letter (to book my medical) on the 2nd of May! (But unfortunately I had to reschedule as I had some unexpected family issues)
When i phoned the dvla last friday they said there was a waiting time of 2 minutes and it was answered that quick unreal. Normally a 30 minutes job to get though.

When i phoned the dvla last friday they said there was a waiting time of 2 minutes and it was answered that quick unreal. Normally a 30 minutes job to get though.
It really depends to be honest! Once I was waiting in the queue line over 40 minutes then my call was dropped! But there is one very nice guy who is extremely helpful (I’ve called them at least 50 times and I kinda recognise his voice now 🤣), not many of them nice! Hopefully you’ll get that so “special “ letter soon too!

It really depends to be honest! Once I was waiting in the queue line over 40 minutes then my call was dropped! But there is one very nice guy who is extremely helpful (I’ve called them at least 50 times and I kinda recognise his voice now 🤣), not many of them nice! Hopefully you’ll get that so “special “ letter soon too!
Did you actually get into contact with your local MP at all?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off