DVLA Medical Scotland (tillicoutry)

Convicted Driver Insurance

nt1252

Wanted to share my experience from today for those who will undertake the DVLA medical in Scotland.

I was banned 5 years ago (Jan 2008) and have been driving under section 88 since June this year. Haven't really needed to drive since and still could do without it but I do enjoy a drive. My medical was this morning. £98.15 for a 5 minute exam.

Was asked when the last time I drank was, how much I had, how much on average I drink on a night out, have I taken cannabis cocaine lsd or heroine in the last three years. I was then asked if my ban was due to a smash up of cars, crashing or a tip off or random check. He filled the form in with my answer so it wasn't just out of interest. Struck me as odd as I've been on this forum swatting up.

He took my weight, height, asked me to put my feet together, close my eyes and touch my nose with each index finger. Was quite difficult haha! Liver exam.

Took a blood sample and I was on my way. Fully expect to have passed. Just wanted to let you who may be worried that the doctor is very nice in tilicoutry and made me very at ease. Blood goes to London and will be back in 3 weeks.

The kit the dvla send is basically a blood vial and the necessary paperwork. There is a urine pot too if they feel the need to take one. The doctors fought back over the costs of all these things apparently. Good on them.

For those seeking advice on what not to do to be sure of passing, detox for at least one month prior, no drugs for a few months if you're into that, answer like you're the baby Jesus and they won't doubt you.

Good luck to you all and stay safe. I'm glad this part of my life has been put behind me. I'm lucky in that my life wasn't hindered by my idiocy. Hid it from friends and family, didn't affect my job. Back to normal.

Mark

Hi,

Just received my letter to book the medical today in Tillicoultry with a Dr J.King. Couple of questions for you,
1. How long did you wait after receiving the letter to book the appointment? And how quickly were you able to get the appointment? I'm hoping to put it off for a couple of weeks as I'm going on holiday and want abstain from alcohol for a few weeks. Gonna be a crappy holiday now lol.
2. Payment, did you have to pay on the day, or pre-pay before appointment?
3. Any idea on timescales i.e, when will you/have you heard about results etc.

Let us know any feedback and how you got on with resukts etc.

Cheers.

I paid cash on the day. Couple of quid under a ton. Appointments will be well into september by now. I was hoping to postpone mine due to work commitments but the next available appointment wasn't for 5 weeks, this was 2 weeks ago so I expect it'll be september.

Haven't heard anything yet but he said it would be 3 to 5 weeks.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Also I had to wait nearly 3 weeks until my dvla kit arrived in tillicoutry. Phone them every single day. The dvla are sound if you just keep them informed, they will extend the 6 weeks or whatever it says on the letter.

Haven't heard anything yet but he said it would be 3 to 5 weeks.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Last week 2 people posted on this forum about having a medical on the Monday and the licence arrived in the post on the Saturday. I got no idea where Tillcountry is in Scotland but is it on the mainland or will DVLA have to use a pigeon?:D:). I hope the pigeon does not get lost.;)

License arrived in the post this morning. 2 weeks and 5 days. Good effort from the dvla. Glad to have this episode behind me.

No probs. Will check back regularly to help out. Definitely helped me, annonymously as it was.

Appointment booked a couple of weeks ago. Having to wait 9 weeks for it though. Got in contact with DVLA to tell them that it was greater than the 6 week period they say you have to do it within, and they were ok about it. 4 weeks to go. Been waiting a long time for this, and it's a pain that I have to wait an extra 3 months or so as it seems to get license back as I believe it will take a few weeks after medical to get a response.:rolleyes:

Do I need to check that the 'kit' has arrived? Or shall I just assume everything will be in place for me attending on date in September?

Cheers for your help. Just a waiting game now. 4 weeks to go, and 2 sober wedding receptions to endure in between. Be worth it though. Will let you know how it all goes.

Well done my medical on 13/09/13. Just exactly as thread starter described. Today 28/09/13 my provisional license came through the post, 2 weeks after medical...really quick and I was pretty surprised. Now gotta go through the theory and extended driving test. Happy Days :)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off