DVLA Medical/Rehabilitation Courses

Convicted Driver Insurance

Motorcycle

Hello.

I was banned from driving in March 2008 for three years. After reading some articles on this website and the DVLA site I believe I can apply 3 months before the end of my ban. I also believe I'm in the high risk category as my reading on the day was quite high even though it was not mentioned by the court or the DVLA at all then or since. Would I be required to take a medical (after reading some posts on the medical forum my heart sank!), may be the DVLA can only answer this?

Also, I attended a Drink Impaired Driving Programme as part of my court order, this lasted from July to November 2008. I am doing some research into perhaps getting my driving licence back slightly earlier and improving my insurance and work prospects. Could anyone give me any advice about this please? Would I need to do another programme if I've completed the DIDP or would I be wasting my money?

Thanks

Hello.

I was banned from driving in March 2008 for three years. After reading some articles on this website and the DVLA site I believe I can apply 3 months before the end of my ban. I also believe I'm in the high risk category as my reading on the day was quite high even though it was not mentioned by the court or the DVLA at all then or since. Would I be required to take a medical (after reading some posts on the medical forum my heart sank!), may be the DVLA can only answer this?

High Risk Offenders are drivers who have been disqualified by an order of court because the proportion of alcohol in their bodies exceeded the maximum legal prescribed limit and:
  • Have been found to be over 2 and a half times the legal limit with a blood alcohol content that equalled or exceeded:
    (i) 87.5 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath, or
    (ii) 200 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of blood, or
    (iii) 267.5 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine; OR
  • Have failed, without reasonable excuse, to provide a specimen for analysis; OR
  • Have two convictions of drink driving or being in charge while unfit through drink within a 10 year period
Also, I attended a Drink Impaired Driving Programme as part of my court order, this lasted from July to November 2008. I am doing some research into perhaps getting my driving licence back slightly earlier and improving my insurance and work prospects. Could anyone give me any advice about this please? Would I need to do another programme if I've completed the DIDP or would I be wasting my money?

Thanks

There are two ways to get a driving licence back early. The first is by completeing the drink driving rehabilitation course. You must have been offered this course by the courts at the time of sentence. If you were offered the course, you have a certain date by which you must complete the course by, completing the course can reduce your disqualification by up to 25%.

The second way is to apply to the sentencing court for the early return of your driving licence. To do this you must have served at least two years of your original disqualification and have sound reasons why the courts should consider giving you your driving licence back early.

The courts will take account of:

-the nature and seriousness of the original offence
-your character and conduct since the ban was imposed and
-any other relevant factors (such as employment and/or promotional prospects)

Last edited:
Okay, thanks for that. I was referred to the DIDP (Drink Impaired Driving Programme) by the court, would this be classified as the same as the rehabilitation courses that are listed on this site? I have tried to contact probation for info on this with no success so far. If DIDP isn't in the same category it seems unreasonable (I know drink driving is unreasonable behaviour!)that I can't take a course. May be it looks like option 2 and apply to the court.

Thanks.

The DIDS course run by the probation service is compulsory if included as part of the sentence imposed by the court. It does not result in a reduced ban.
Provided the court also offered you the opportunity to attend a Rehabilitation Course (for you must pay) then you can attend this if you wish and successful completion usually results in a 25% reduction in the length of the disqualification.
Most convicted drink drivers are offered the course because the magistrates have to include measures that help rehabilitation and this would satisfy that requirement.
I have just noticed that you were disqualified in March 2008, unfortunately it looks like it is now too late to attend a rehab course.
I suggest you urgently get in touch with your local course provider who will advise you accordingly.

Last edited:
Hi.

Yeh I did get in touch with the course provider and they said if I've done another programme I'm not eligible. Maybe I was just unlucky in that the court didn't give me the chance to do a rehabilitation course. Oh well what's a few more months wait?

Hi
Sounds like you were given duff information, who was your local provider?
If they are saying this to people they need to be advised accordingly
Having done the DIDS course does not make you ineligible to do a rehab course.
Very unusual for a court not to offer the rehab course. The magistrates usually give this information verbally when sentencing, sure you didn't miss it?
Cheers

My local provider is VMCL. I don't remember the court saying anything about a rehab course but it was over 2 years ago. I can't find anything in the paperwork either. I've written to the sentencing court so hopefully they will give me some positive news.

Cheers.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off