DVLA Medical - my experience

Convicted Driver Insurance

Medicine Man

Well Known Member
Hello everyone!

My DVLA medical was yesterday, 10/10, and all went well (hopefully!).

Going back a few weeks, I received the letter informing me that I was an HRO and that I would require a medical to deem my fitness to drive approximately 6 weeks ago (my 6 week window ends on the 16th so I was cutting it a bit fine). I was working away from home for most of this period so 10/10 was the only available appointment they had at my designated medical practice - not ideal for getting my license back ASAP but oh well!

On the day, I turned up for my appointment about 30 minutes early and made myself known to the receptionist. At this point, I was sent over to get my blood sample taken which was relatively swift and painless. I asked the nurse what would happen to this sample, and she said that it would be sent off to a hospital nearby for analysis, however she didn’t know much more than this and advised me to ask the doctor more when I went in for my appointment.

I then sat around for another 15-20 minutes as the doctor was running late (when are they ever not running late?). At this point, the doctor and I had a brief chat about what the questionnaire was about and what the blood results meant - there’s plenty of information on this forum about expected values! For reference, my period of abstinence was from just after I attended my court appearance for my license to be reinstated early which was early August, so a good 2 or so months. I ate full meals everyday and drank at least 3-4 pints of water, and didn’t bother taking Milk Thistle or any other supplements. Just before the medical however, I had taken prescription painkillers for an injury sustained about a week prior, but the doctor said the dosage wouldn’t affect the CDT levels in any way (co-codamol).

Answered the usual questions truthfully on the questionnaire at which point she had a quick check of my breathing, heart rate, blood pressure etc. (I have a naturally low heart rate anyway which surprised her somewhat!) but all was well within healthy limits.

All in all I was in there for about 40-50 minutes, but most of this was waiting around.

In terms of results from the blood test, I will give it another week (17/10) before I start calling for progress updates from Swansea.

Hope this helps!

MM

Good luck, although it sounds like unless you were huffing the hand sanitiser when you were with the doctor you will pass with flying colours!

Update #2

Just contacted the DVLA this morning due to impatience and they confirmed that they have received my medical results (but they wouldn’t tell me what they were) and that they were just waiting on the questionnaire which was sent by post by the medical centre the day after my appointment, which would have been a Thursday.

For people’s information, the way to get hold of your results is to email subjectaccess.requests@dvla.gsi.gov.uk and include your name, date of birth, the address you put in the application form (your current address), the reference number you got on the top of the letter which tells you you need a medical and just that you are requesting medical results.

Hopefully they will reply soon!

MM

Update #3

Just checked the DVLA website this morning and the old post code that I had on my license before didn’t work which scared me a bit, so I used my current one and it said “you have a full driving licence”, valid as of this morning! Does this mean that as it has been issued, I am entitled to drive or do I have to wait until it comes through the post?

MM

Update #4

Spoke to the DVLA again today to make sure that everything was OK and they confirmed that my licence has been issued and sent out in the post and that I have full cover to drive! Although it’s not really over until I have the little bit of pink plastic in my hand but it’s nearly there.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this forum and to everyone who is currently without their licence, keep your chin up and remember that it could be a lot worse!

It’s definitely not worth it if you have had even one drink to think “you’ll be alright, home’s only round the corner” because you don’t know what’s round the next bend!

MM

Thanks for letting us know.so long as your licence has been issued, you are OK to drive, but do make sure that the date is valid, I.e. check that your ban is finished as the licence will be dated from the end of your ban, which may be in the future, not the day it is issued.

congrats, Can I ask do you know which questionnaire is completed at the medical as I have sent both M1 & DR1 with my application and if it is neither of these I would like to down load it, Thanks

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off