DVLA Medical High Risk Offender Licence Application Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
6 weeks?! Did you send recorded delivery to see if they'd received it? When I phoned on Monday I was told it was taking 10 working day's for the applications to get scanned on to the system at the moment
No I didn’t send it recorded delivery.
The person I spoke to didn’t seem worried it wasn’t on the system and said it’s taking 6 to 10 weeks?
My postal order is yet to be cashed and was received by them 9th Nov. It’s literally payment only and no application as that’s already on the system.
I already applied the attitude that it will take 6-10 weeks even for that to be processed.
They do nothing in a hurry

Yes they have not processed your application yet. Cashed cheque is normally a sign
They’re processing applications received on the 2nd of September according to the DVLA website so you’ve probably got a few weeks yet. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. They received application on the 3rd of September so I’m hoping to get the medical letter soon. I’ve seen people say they received the letter after about 11 weeks.

I phoned them thismorning and she said 10 weeks, so I was either misinformed or misunderstood (both are very likely!) When I called last called

Only if the judge orders you to retake your test at court. This is not the norm in England/Scotland/Wales but it is the standard in Northern Ireland, everyone in Northern Ireland must retake their test when banned.
Thank you! It's a nightmare waiting. My ban is up, paperwork and money sent well over a month ago and I have heard nothing back.

Thank you! It's a nightmare waiting. My ban is up, paperwork and money sent well over a month ago and I have heard nothing back.
It took 10 weeks from when I sent the forms and money to when they gave me the information to book a medical. The wait sucks, but they are advising 6-10 weeks.

Here is my timeline plus I am now in the position that they have lost some paperwork, won't admit it and say I just have to wait until I'm contacted. If any organisation was designed to 'drive you to drink,' then this is it.

I can't see any reason they cannot appoint an agent who you can contact directly to get issues like the one I have below resolved.

Licence Applied For
15/07/2021​
Application form Rec'd from DVLA
27/07/2021​
This was 2 days later than the 90 day period
Called
24/08/2021​
Cheque Cashed
31/08/2021​
Called
03/09/2021​
Medical Letter Received
14/09/2021​
Medical
30/09/2021​
Called
19/10/2021​
Told by handler that everything had been received and was with medical section
Called
12/11/2021​
Told the CDT DR1 form was missing and that Doctor had been contacted - 1.5 hour call
Called Doctor
12/11/2021They sent everything back to DVLA on the 30th Sept stapled together. They have received NO communication from DVLA regarding missing forms
Called DVLA again
13/11/2021​
Told that 'everything was in hand' and I would be contacted if the DVLA required any additional information. No idea what that means or where this leaves myself, but given they say a form or part is missing it means I will need to have that done again. God only know when though.

I spoke to the DVLA medical team today, they received my application on the 3rd of September, it was scanned onto their system yesterday (16th November). DVLA website states they’re processing applications received on the 2nd September (updated Monday 15th November). So the website information is correct, or at least it was for me. They told me to wait for the letter for me to attend the medical but wouldn’t give me a timeframe.

I spoke to the DVLA medical team today, they received my application on the 3rd of September, it was scanned onto their system yesterday (16th November). DVLA website states they’re processing applications received on the 2nd September (updated Monday 15th November). So the website information is correct, or at least it was for me. They told me to wait for the letter for me to attend the medical but wouldn’t give me a timeframe.
Have they cashed your cheque yet?

As you can see from the above, it took just over 6 weeks for them to cash my cheque and 9 weeks for them to send a letter re my medical.

But as I've indicated, if they 'lose' any of the paperwork, you are effectively back to square one.

I know I will need to go for another medical. They know I will need to go for another medical, but I have been pushed to the back of the queue because they say the have 'contacted the Doctor who carried out the medical. But the Doctor has told me they have had no contact from DVLA in connection with my case and they do not hold copies of the forms, so I am effectively in limbo until someone at the DVLA realises they will need to pay for another medical.

There is no one you can speak to other than a call handler who will not let you speak to anyone in the medical team.

I means surely to god it can't be too difficult to allocate each case to a specific agent team, give you their number with an idea re timescale and when the timescale is not achieved, call to get an update.

Or better still, just put all the info on a secure website that only you can access.

Wh

As you can see from the above, it took just over 6 weeks for them to cash my cheque and 9 weeks for them to send a letter re my medical.

But as I've indicated, if they 'lose' any of the paperwork, you are effectively back to square one.

I know I will need to go for another medical. They know I will need to go for another medical, but I have been pushed to the back of the queue because they say the have 'contacted the Doctor who carried out the medical. But the Doctor has told me they have had no contact from DVLA in connection with my case and they do not hold copies of the forms, so I am effectively in limbo until someone at the DVLA realises they will need to pay for another medical.

There is no one you can speak to other than a call handler who will not let you speak to anyone in the medical team.

I means surely to god it can't be too difficult to allocate each case to a specific agent team, give you their number with an idea re timescale and when the timescale is not achieved, call to get an update.

Or better still, just put all the info on a secure website that only you can access.
What bit of info did the DVLA tell you they were missing ?

It was a postal order and I haven’t checked. I assume they’ve taken the money though because they told me it’s on the system in a queue and they’ll be writing soon with the medical letter.
That’s a nightmare, have you emailed the CEO, written to your MP? If they were a private company they’d be bankrupt. They say they’re receiving huge amounts of applications but they’re being paid for each one so surely they should be allocating enough resources? The whole thing skinks.

The waiting is painful, especially when you're given your licence back for it to be taken away two months later and now having to do the whole application again! You'd think they'd just update the system instead of having to go through all of this again!

The waiting is painful, especially when you're given your licence back for it to be taken away two months later and now having to do the whole application again! You'd think they'd just update the system instead of having to go through all of this again!
I don’t understand why they have asked you to start the application again. You did your HRO medical, don’t see why they don’t use that CDT result but with the reclassification of alcohol misuse rather than dependency.
Hopefully you get some answers soon!

Yeah, they are a complete nightmare to deal with.
Last year they returned my whole application back saying it was incomplete and incorrect.
It was neither incorrect or incomplete, it was 100% correct and complete.
They had made a mistake and had "forgotten" to add information to my file.
As a result I had to go through the whole application process from start to finish - whole new forms and medical which took another 9 months.
Nightmare. No recognition or acceptance of their mistake, just bureaucracy and paying for their total failure.

I don’t understand why they have asked you to start the application again. You did your HRO medical, don’t see why they don’t use that CDT result but with the reclassification of alcohol misuse rather than dependency.
Hopefully you get some answers soon!
I know, it's a ball ache! Everyone has driven my car more than I have! At least my insurance didn't get cancelled though, otherwise that would be another headache and to be honest, I think I'd of just given up if it had

Yeah, they are a complete nightmare to deal with.
Last year they returned my whole application back saying it was incomplete and incorrect.
It was neither incorrect or incomplete, it was 100% correct and complete.
They had made a mistake and had "forgotten" to add information to my file.

As a result I had to go through the whole application process from start to finish - whole new forms and medical which took another 9 months.
Nightmare. No recognition or acceptance of their mistake, just bureaucracy and paying for their total failure.
I guess I should be thankful that I don't have to wait on another medical

It was a postal order and I haven’t checked. I assume they’ve taken the money though because they told me it’s on the system in a queue and they’ll be writing soon with the medical letter.
That’s a nightmare, have you emailed the CEO, written to your MP? If they were a private company they’d be bankrupt. They say they’re receiving huge amounts of applications but they’re being paid for each one so surely they should be allocating enough resources? The whole thing skinks.
Yes, I've emailed everyone I can think of and used the 'useless' complaints procedure on the DVLA website.

But it seems the DVLA are not alone in their incompetence. Today I called the Medical Practice that carried out my HRO Exam, mainly to ask if the DVLA had been in contact with them re the missing CDT DR1 form. I was told that no they hadn't but did I know which pages from the form were missing. No, of course I didn't, and lo and behold, despite being told last week they don't hold a copy of this info, it now appears they do hold copies. They hold them for 6 months and he was looking at mine as we spoke. Grrr!

So, today they faxed (I mean come on FAX,) the forms to the DVLA with a covering note explaining why they were sending them but this could have been done a week ago.

But Covid has not all of a sudden caused the DVLA to become uncommunicative.

Have a look at this.
Complaining can work.

Yes, I've emailed everyone I can think of and used the 'useless' complaints procedure on the DVLA website.

But it seems the DVLA are not alone in their incompetence. Today I called the Medical Practice that carried out my HRO Exam, mainly to ask if the DVLA had been in contact with them re the missing CDT DR1 form. I was told that no they hadn't but did I know which pages from the form were missing. No, of course I didn't, and lo and behold, despite being told last week they don't hold a copy of this info, it now appears they do hold copies. They hold them for 6 months and he was looking at mine as we spoke. Grrr!

So, today they faxed (I mean come on FAX,) the forms to the DVLA with a covering note explaining why they were sending them but this could have been done a week ago.

Have a look at this.
Complaining can work.

The DVLA have been a disaster for well over a decade . If it wasn’t Covid it would be something else .

Have a look at this.
Complaining can work.

Are you sure the forms had your M number on them Luna? Not trying to be negative, we both know what DVLA are like for forms being so called incomplete or not getting to the right department.
Also, from memory when I did the forms they were just blank ones they had in stick and filled in on the day. I'm pretty sure (though could be wrong) that the ones that come direct you from DVLA already have your M number on them

Have a look at this.
Complaining can work.

Hi Luna, that's good news about the paperwork to DVLA after all though annoying about delay.
Could the doc email you a copy for yourself just in case further ineptitude from DVLA?
Or is the 6 month deadline far enough ahead in future?
I would try and get a back up for myself if I could.
Anyway, good news for a change!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off