DVLA Medical High Risk Offender Licence Application Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
It’s absolutely crap !! Get on their case .
Yeah I know.
I called them this Tuesday.
Still no further forward and no idea when.
The only thing the guy (I think he may have felt a bit sorry for me) would say is that my GP report was considered "acceptable" and that this "could be looked at as a positive".
I took this to mean that it had been looked at and was now in the hands of the medical review panel although I do not know if this is actually the case.
Naturally and as expected he could not give any idea of further timescales etc etc.
As I said 241 days so far - I applied on March 10th.

Yeah I know.
I called them this Tuesday.
Still no further forward and no idea when.
The only thing the guy (I think he may have felt a bit sorry for me) would say is that my GP report was considered "acceptable" and that this "could be looked at as a positive".
I took this to mean that it had been looked at and was now in the hands of the medical review panel although I do not know if this is actually the case.
Naturally and as expected he could not give any idea of further timescales etc etc.
As I said 241 days so far - I applied on March 10th.
It’s something positive sounding at least . I look forward to seeing it play out for you .

Have you had any contact from them since the medical? The waiting is torture!
I had a letter dated 22 October, that arrived on my doorstep the 29 October stating they were going to write to my named consultant . I fully expected this and have no issue with them doing it. I have an excellent relationship with my consultant and I have been in regular contact with him for the past 2 years. He knows exactly what's going on and has zero issues with me driving and is going to tell them that. ( Ive not had a drink since Dec 2019 and im on no medication etc etc )

The letter from the DVLA to me stated, " we have written to Dr .......and await his response "

Well that letter was dated as I said 22 October. I have checked with him twice including Friday 5 Nov and he still hasn't received anything. Even his secretary is looking out for it and its still not arrived - I trust them they will tell me when its done

So I went through the email for supposed Key workers, Im in the NHS myself. I got a reply back eventually this morning saying .... We have written to Dr .... and we wrote to you telling you this, we will resend the letter to you. Dang it I got the letter I know what's going on but the man who needs it still hasn't got it and you couldn't reply to a simple email and answer the question.

I have sympathy for a lot of people in certain jobs. Teachers have a lot of holidays but a hard job and they need more money. Nurses aren't trained well enough , looked after enough and paid nowhere near enough. The fire and police services are designed to save lives and could always be paid more at the grass routes level. But the DVLA going on strike several times considering the quality of service they are providing to us is absolutely woeful.

So no as yet, my Dr still hasn't had the paper work he needs to complete , who knows when he will get it.

I had a letter dated 22 October, that arrived on my doorstep the 29 October stating they were going to write to my named consultant . I fully expected this and have no issue with them doing it. I have an excellent relationship with my consultant and I have been in regular contact with him for the past 2 years. He knows exactly what's going on and has zero issues with me driving and is going to tell them that. ( Ive not had a drink since Dec 2019 and im on no medication etc etc )

The letter from the DVLA to me stated, " we have written to Dr .......and await his response "

Well that letter was dated as I said 22 October. I have checked with him twice including Friday 5 Nov and he still hasn't received anything. Even his secretary is looking out for it and its still not arrived - I trust them they will tell me when its done

So I went through the email for supposed Key workers, Im in the NHS myself. I got a reply back eventually this morning saying .... We have written to Dr .... and we wrote to you telling you this, we will resend the letter to you. Dang it I got the letter I know what's going on but the man who needs it still hasn't got it and you couldn't reply to a simple email and answer the question.

I have sympathy for a lot of people in certain jobs. Teachers have a lot of holidays but a hard job and they need more money. Nurses aren't trained well enough , looked after enough and paid nowhere near enough. The fire and police services are designed to save lives and could always be paid more at the grass routes level. But the DVLA going on strike several times considering the quality of service they are providing to us is absolutely woeful.

So no as yet, my Dr still hasn't had the paper work he needs to complete , who knows when he will get it.
Thanks for the info. They are a complete joke and have no empathy/ sympathy.

what is the reasons they are contacting your GP when you have abstained for so long?

Hi. No, I applied on March 10th.
The medical department have had my GP report since August 10th and I've had no word yet as to whether I will need a medical also.
They have Had it since 10 August. That is unbelievable…. My head is in my hands…

They have Had it since 10 August. That is unbelievable…. My head is in my hands…
Yeah, I called last week and still no idea when could be issued.
Mines was a medical application renewal, nothing to do with HRO, DD or any offences etc.
You might be lucky, some people here have had theirs done relatively quickly.
I don't have any luck with DVLA ever.
All the best.

Thanks for the info. They are a complete joke and have no empathy/ sympathy.

what is the reasons they are contacting your GP when you have abstained for so long?
Because I was a total idiot who thought Id be honest ! ---- honesty was not the best policy

I answered yes to the psychiatric illness question. I had a major depressive disorder. Its not treated and not a problem for me. But they don't care about the origin or nature of it.

I had a breakdown in 2019 and I turned to drink and. Prior to being convicted I sought help from a psychiatrist whom I saw privately and I still do. My primary issue was depression , due to a number of factors which was made worse by then drinking too much.

I then got arrested while asking my local pub to not serve me anymore. I went in drunk and asked them to not serve me. Because I lived up the street and had the car keys with me , police arrested me and I was released under investigation
2 weeks later still in mid breakdown I went out not intending to get drunk but did. was trying to get home in a taxi but someone had called the police and so I was arrested and then kept in the cells for 2.5 days, charged with DD on both occasions kept in until I went straight to court. and in court to make all the madness stop and try and end it all I pled guilty.
I went to rehab for a month came out and a month later went to court. Got banned for 2 years from the date of the court appearance so it was a 24+2 month sentence and £3500 fine. I did the course and my ban should have ended mid august.

I didn't drink from the day I was arrested. I went to rehab, have had ongoing counselling from my psychiatrist and others and been able to rebuild my life. The only person who was every hurt physically in all this was me. I was in a very dark place and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. The drinking was just the visible manifestation of the pain I was in.

That was almost 2 years ago and ive changed my life completely but the DVLA are now the main persectors in my life at the minute. I appreciate they have a job to do but they don't care about us as individuals with lives etc. we are just another case to bounce back and forth. I don't wish anyone ill but the people in charge and the the people who could make things smoother and more transparent etc for people like us, I hope one day get a glimpse of how frustrating and disheartening their processes are.

Once I can drive again Ill be able to stop paying £50 per day in taxis to get to an from work. ( I work in a hospital and live in the countryside ). If it happens this side of Christmas ill be amazed.

If my story rings with anybody else and they want to message me or ask me about anything. message me. I know im not alone and it wasn't a case of I drank just a few drinks and jumped in a car, my story is much darker and painful than that.

Update just a few mins ago, my psychiatrist just text me today to say , sorry nothing in todays post either, the wait continues..............

Hi just looking to see what the time scale is roughly from when you send your form away to when you can do your medical? Sending my form to dvla tomorrow and hoping to get the medical out the way before Christmas, cheers
11 weeks for me.

hi I was wondering if anyone could help me?
I just spoke to the DVLA and they said they couldn’t see my application on the system yet, it’s been 6 weeks. What does this mean? When they process it will that be when I see the cheque cashed? I’m a HRO applying for my license and will need to arrange a medical

thanks for any help

I just spoke to the DVLA and they said they couldn’t see my application on the system yet, it’s been 6 weeks. What does this mean? When they process it will that be when I see the cheque cashed? I’m a HRO applying for my license and will need to arrange a medical

thanks for any help
Yes they have not processed your application yet. Cashed cheque is normally a sign

thanks for any help
6 weeks?! Did you send recorded delivery to see if they'd received it? When I phoned on Monday I was told it was taking 10 working day's for the applications to get scanned on to the system at the moment

6 weeks?! Did you send recorded delivery to see if they'd received it? When I phoned on Monday I was told it was taking 10 working day's for the applications to get scanned on to the system at the moment
No I didn’t send it recorded delivery.
The person I spoke to didn’t seem worried it wasn’t on the system and said it’s taking 6 to 10 weeks?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off