DVLA Medical High Risk Offender Licence Application Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Just thought I'd show the letter that was emailed to my MP with the reason why my licence was revoked, I think it's all bull really. Still waiting to see if my GP has sent her letter yet to say I'm not alcohol dependant. Not really sure why my being on medication for depression is an issue, surely it shows I'm a responsible person who seeks help when I need it??? But a bit of insight so far...Screenshot_20211001-070645_Word.jpg

Jessica , from this I’m not reading that the medication for depression is a problem for them ( nor should it be!!). However, it seems that they are saying that as you’ve previously been described as dependent ( I don’t know if you think that this is true) that you need to demonstrate complete abstinence for 12 months, and you have disclosed that you are not abstinent. What I don’t understand is why they issued your licence in the first place before receiving GP info .

I may have course misunderstood everything !!!

Jessica , from this I’m not reading that the medication for depression is a problem for them ( nor should it be!!). However, it seems that they are saying that as you’ve previously been described as dependent ( I don’t know if you think that this is true) that you need to demonstrate complete abstinence for 12 months, and you have disclosed that you are not abstinent. What I don’t understand is why they issued your licence in the first place before receiving GP info .

I may have course misunderstood everything !!!
Yes, I've gotten the doctor to write that I wasn't dependent, not sure if they've received it yet. I was going through a break up from an 8 year abusive relationship at the time, which the previous doctor knew, so I don't know why it was put as dependent as it was just a release, so misuse! I put that my last drink was three month's before my medical, which was the truth, but if I can go three months abstinence, surely I'm not dependent?! They make it sound black and white, when really it isn't

Yes, I've gotten the doctor to write that I wasn't dependent, not sure if they've received it yet. I was going through a break up from an 8 year abusive relationship at the time, which the previous doctor knew, so I don't know why it was put as dependent as it was just a release, so misuse! I put that my last drink was three month's before my medical, which was the truth, but if I can go three months abstinence, surely I'm not dependent?! They make it sound black and white, when really it isn't
Yes. This is the problem re the labels they attach , and in fact with the whole issue of alcohol misuse . Unfortunately the DVLA are determining the yard sticks and any « dependence « however that is defined , needs 12 months abstinence. I’m sure that what you described could not be regarded as dependence per se , so you have to satisfy whatever standard they require in respect of the misuse classification. Good luck with it .

After 78 tries including pressing the wrong option and having to start the ringing and hanging up process again 😭 my note from the doctor was scanned on the system on Thursday, so hopefully won't be much longer to find out what's happening. Happy Monday to you all

After 78 tries including pressing the wrong option and having to start the ringing and hanging up process again 😭 my note from the doctor was scanned on the system on Thursday, so hopefully won't be much longer to find out what's happening. Happy Monday to you all
I think you’ll get your license back by the 14 November if they take the same time as with mine.

I think you’ll get your license back by the 14 November if they take the same time as with mine.
Depends on if the doctor has written the right thing and if they decide to give it back to me, she wasn't overly clear on what she was actually writing to them... but I've been told my case is still priority, so I'll hopefully find out soon

Depends on if the doctor has written the right thing and if they decide to give it back to me, she wasn't overly clear on what she was actually writing to them... but I've been told my case is still priority, so I'll hopefully find out soon
I've been thinking of you. It's awful to snatch it back off you like that. X

I've been thinking of you. It's awful to snatch it back off you like that. X
It is, but then I guess it is what it is. I done my ban, paid my fine, done the course and very much learnt my lesson! But hey ho, guess the moral of the story is don't be so stupid to do it in the first place...

It is, but then I guess it is what it is. I done my ban, paid my fine, done the course and very much learnt my lesson! But hey ho, guess the moral of the story is don't be so stupid to do it in the first place...
You could ask to see what the Dr wrote .

You could ask to see what the Dr wrote .
Yes, I've just emailed my surgery now. All my balls are up in the air at the moment and I'm just trying to catch them one by one! It's just added mess that I could do without having to deal with

Just got off of the phone and apparently my doctor didn't even change anything on the letter that she wrote!!! The surgery still haven't sent over what was written either! I'm so done with this shit

I don't know what to say?! Is it the fact that she's written it saying I insist that I abuse alcohol?! I asked her to write and say that I wasn't dependant and that at the time it was misuse! It's like I'm hitting my head on a brick wall
Screenshot_20211018-124302_Word.jpg

Unfortunately the GP can only reply with what they know/what they think they know. The letter lists the facts as they see it, which I don't think will help your cause.

GP's are often reluctant to go out on a limb. If they say that in their opinion you are not addicted to alcohol and then you get your licence back and go on to injure somebody whilst over the limit, the GP could be under scrutiny. They will generally therefore only list the facts which, as in your case, are often very woolly.

In my case, the GP questionnaire was filled out by a random GP at my surgery, they only half read the notes and concluded I was dependent. I spoke to my GP who was fully aware of my total situation as I had seen her regularly. She wrote to DVLA saying that I was not, and never had been dependent - however I had previously misused alcohol. DVLA then overruled their decision and reissued my licence. Keeping in touch with the GP is crucial in these situations, generally having regular appointments and LFT's carried out help the cause.

Not what you want to hear, but I unfortunately think that DVLA will not reverse their decision, and they will more than likely demand that you stay abstinent until at least June 2022. I'd start getting the LFT's in from now to help with your journey next year as your GP obviously isn't going to give you the benefit of the doubt...

Just got off of the phone and apparently my doctor didn't even change anything on the letter that she wrote!!! The surgery still haven't sent over what was written either! I'm so done with this shit
Unfortunately the GP can only reply with what they know/what they think they know. The letter lists the facts as they see it, which I don't think will help your cause.

GP's are often reluctant to go out on a limb. If they say that in their opinion you are not addicted to alcohol and then you get your licence back and go on to injure somebody whilst over the limit, the GP could be under scrutiny. They will generally therefore only list the facts which, as in your case, are often very woolly.

In my case, the GP questionnaire was filled out by a random GP at my surgery, they only half read the notes and concluded I was dependent. I spoke to my GP who was fully aware of my total situation as I had seen her regularly. She wrote to DVLA saying that I was not, and never had been dependent - however I had previously misused alcohol. DVLA then overruled their decision and reissued my licence. Keeping in touch with the GP is crucial in these situations, generally having regular appointments and LFT's carried out help the cause.

Not what you want to hear, but I unfortunately think that DVLA will not reverse their decision, and they will more than likely demand that you stay abstinent until at least June 2022. I'd start getting the LFT's in from now to help with your journey next year as your GP obviously isn't going to give you the benefit of the doubt...
I don't know what to say?! Is it the fact that she's written it saying I insist that I abuse alcohol?! I asked her to write and say that I wasn't dependant and that at the time it was misuse! It's like I'm hitting my head on a brick wall
View attachment 334
I can’t see any evidence that supports the original assertion that you were dependent. I know that it’s not straightforward, and others on here have experience of dealing with DVLA , but GP expressly states that you did not experience any withdrawal symptoms. I’d be interested to know from the GP exactly what led her to describe you as dependent . It does seem you are going to have to get an appointment with her. How stressful for you. Take care .

View attachment 334
I can’t see how this supports dependency. But clearly the GP has classed it as misuse, and I think the DVLA would class 20 units in one sitting as misuse. Hopefully they change your case from dependence to misuse and do 6 months of controlled drinking.

I've had so many different GPs over the years because they all leave and I just get put with whoever comes in next to replace... so none of them get the full back story of what's going on! I've put in a formal complaint because of how she's worded it "she insists that she abuses alcohol" ummm no I don't, I asked for what ever was answered as dependent to be changed to misuse!

I can’t see any evidence that supports the original assertion that you were dependent. I know that it’s not straightforward, and others on here have experience of dealing with DVLA , but GP expressly states that you did not experience any withdrawal symptoms. I’d be interested to know from the GP exactly what led her to describe you as dependent . It does seem you are going to have to get an appointment with her. How stressful for you. Take care .
Alcohol dependency doesn't necessarily mean that you drink every day. Lots of people with alcohol dependency can go weeks, even months without drinking. The GP has obviously looked at the facts that she has available. When @Jessicalala has been drinking, it is seen as abnormally large amounts. DVLA specifically ask about occasions when over 6 units have been consumed in one sitting, and the last recorded amount the GP is aware of is in June when at least 20 units were consumed in 1 sitting. This is possibly seen as evidence of dependence.

Hopefully I'm wrong and they may class it as misuse, in which case they would want 6 months of abstinence or controlled drinking but will want proof, which will need the GP to help.

I can’t see how this supports dependency. But clearly the GP has classed it as misuse, and I think the DVLA would class 20 units in one sitting as misuse. Hopefully they change your case from dependence to misuse and do 6 months of controlled drinking.
But it wasn't in one sitting, it was over the space of a week. If it was one sitting I'd get where they were coming from in a way!

But it wasn't in one sitting, it was over the space of a week. If it was one sitting I'd get where they were coming from in a way!
I've just seen what you mean now, on my birthday it's was two bottles of wine, but that was stretched over 6 or 7 hour's, but of course still as one sitting.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off