DVLA Medical High Risk Offender Licence Application Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi am afraid I waited 4months, application sent 1st Nov medical 31st march,, but everyone's timescale seems to be so variable,, I think just plan for the worst and you won't get so disappointed and stressed out..
Oh and my ban finished 23rd Jan, now they've written to my gp it is so very mentally disturbing

As an HRO when you get to the 90 day period to apply for licence. When do you have your medical? So, for me the 90 day period begins 8/9/2022 so when would I potentially be walking into the GP for a medical? Is it during that 90 day period?

As an HRO when you get to the 90 day period to apply for licence. When do you have your medical? So, for me the 90 day period begins 8/9/2022 so when would I potentially be walking into the GP for a medical? Is it during that 90 day period?
I'm a till waiting for my medical I will let you know when the letter arrives but from what I've been reading and told roughly 8 weeks from the scanning you application on the system. But dvla is just a shambles at the moment.

Hi am afraid I waited 4months, application sent 1st Nov medical 31st march,, but everyone's timescale seems to be so variable,, I think just plan for the worst and you won't get so disappointed and stressed out..
The last thing I want to do is cancel my kids holiday to Disney then get my licence back. So worried there going to miss out

Please help so I'm a hro. Due to get my licence back 17 July.

Applied 17th April
Scanned on the system 6th May.

Waiting for medical letter.

Any one have a rough time scale how long I'm going to be waiting. Supposed to be driving to France in August with my kids for disney land. Thanks in advance.
Sorry to say this, but August is VERY optimistic.

It took me 210 days from application to licence issue.

9 weeks of that was down to my GP not replying in what I thought was a reasonable 4 weeks.

It took me 2 months to get a Medical letter, and I don;t think much has changed.

Here is my timescale and as I said, the GP reply is the only real variable.

ACTIONDAYSCOMMENT
Licence Applied For
15/07/2021​
Application form Rec'd from DVLA
27/07/2021​
Called
24/08/2021​
Cheque Cashed
31/08/2021​
Called
03/09/2021​
Medical Letter Received
14/09/2021​
Medical
30/09/2021​
Driving Ban Ends
12/10/2021​
89Date when my driving ban ended.
Called
19/10/2021​
96Told by handler that everything had been received and was with medical section
Called
12/11/2021​
120Told the CDT DR1 form was missing and that Doctor had been contacted - 1.5 hour call
Called Doctor - Glasgow Medical Rooms
12/11/2021​
120They sent everything back on the 30th Sept stapled together. They have received NO communication from DVLA regarding missing forms
Called DVLA again
13/11/2021​
121Told that 'everything was in hand' and I would be contacted asap. No idea what that means or where this leaves myself.
Called Doctor to see if DVLA had been in touch with them.
17/11/2021​
125No contact from DVLA but was told that they had a copy of my form on file and they would Fax it to DVLA today. This is contrary to what they told me last week when they sadi they do not retain copies. This info could have been faxed on the 12/22/2021. Not happy.
Letter from DVLA dated 16/11/2021 saying they had written to my GP.
19/11/2021​
127Received a letter from DVLA dated the 16th November saying they now had all the information from the Dr. who carried out my DVLA medical and that they had written to my GP for additional health info. Strange that when I called on the 12th November I was told the CDT DR1 from was missing and it was only on the 17th November that Dr. faxed it to the DVLA again. Someone, somewhere is telling porkies.
GP confirmed they had received a letter from DVLA
01/12/2021​
GP returned letter to DVLA
24/01/2022​
Contacted DVLA
03/02/2022​
203Letter not yet on system. Takes 10 days from receipt. Told to call back then.
Licence Returned
10/02/2022​
2101 year licence - but who cares.

Hi all I have posted on another thread and also messaged luna2000, would like to have some more opinions as well. Dvla wrote to my gp and this week I was lucky to have a face meeting with her,, she's very happy and confident for me to drive, although unfortunately she had to state that 7yrs ago I voluntarily went on a course of camprosate due to misuse, there's nothing on my notes since, no one has ever classed me as dependent and I 100%never have been, just misused.. I only have 6months of last drink recorded,,in the last 3yrs have drank well below the guide.. Does anyone think that this will class me as dependent I'm in absolute bits worrying about it,, thanks all for reading 😜

Hi all I have posted on another thread and also messaged luna2000, would like to have some more opinions as well. Dvla wrote to my gp and this week I was lucky to have a face meeting with her,, she's very happy and confident for me to drive, although unfortunately she had to state that 7yrs ago I voluntarily went on a course of camprosate due to misuse, there's nothing on my notes since, no one has ever classed me as dependent and I 100%never have been, just misused.. I only have 6months of last drink recorded,,in the last 3yrs have drank well below the guide.. Does anyone think that this will class me as dependent I'm in absolute bits worrying about it,, thanks all for reading 😜
Forgot to mention it's my first medical and I'm hro 2 drink drive convictions

This is my first time so I couldn't be much help to you unfortunately but I'm guessing as long as your cdt levels are below 1.7 I think you will be OK
Ahhh great they should be below 1 had 5months abstained before medical thanks

Forgot to mention it's my first medical and I'm hro 2 drink drive convictions
All if the questions on the medical questionnaire require reference to the last 6 years ( alcohol) and 3 years ( mental health). Anything outside of those periods do not need to be mentioned .

All if the questions on the medical questionnaire require reference to the last 6 years ( alcohol) and 3 years ( mental health). Anything outside of those periods do not need to be mentioned .
The question she answered was has your patient required detoxification treatment for dependence/misuse and there was no timescale on this

The question she answered was has your patient required detoxification treatment for dependence/misuse and there was no timescale on this
Think it wasn't the standard dd2 form it was one for mental health as in my medical I declared I was on cytalopram

Hi all.

After having my medical 22 days ago I was elated to open the post this morning and find my driving licence enclosed! To say I am surprised and shocked is an understatement given the delays some people are having and I certainly didn’t expect any news until the end of July/August time at the earliest. The licence expires in 4 years time but I that’s because my old one expired on the same date and I really didn’t want to faff around with photographs etc to add more time to my application.

Here are my timescales to help others in their journey, which is certainly a difficult and unpredictable one:

Licence applied for - 31/01/2022
Application form received by DVLA - 01/02/2022
Cheque cashed - 03/03/2022
Medical letter received - 30/03/2022
DRIVING BAN ENDS - 02/05/2022
Date of medical - 05/05/2022
Licence issued 25/05/2022

So, all in all 16 weeks and 4 days to receive my licence and just 3 weeks and 3 days after my ban ended. Given how long some people have had to wait I’ve been incredibly lucky. The most stressful part for me was waiting for the medical as I was unable to book it myself and had to wait for the GP surgery to contact me. They said they ’should’ be able to fit me in within the 12 week timescale but they had a long waiting list and that if I missed the phone call they would move on to the next person on the list. I was darn lucky to have a day off work when they called to offer me a cancellation two days later 👏🏻 Credit to the GP surgery in sending the paperwork off quickly and thank goodness it didn’t end up in a large postal sack in the corner of the office of the DVLA. The only time I contacted the DVLA was to check if I could change the GP surgery so I could pre-book my medical but they refused. Apart from that call, I didn’t chase anything else up or involve my local MP.

The medical itself was simple - height, weight, feel around the abdomen, listen to chest, blood pressure, look in mouth and check my hands (haven’t worked that one out) and CDT blood test. She asked the questions on the questionnaire to which my last alcoholic drink was 12th February and always less than 6 units when drinking and ”no” to everything else.

Now, car insurance… my husband contacted Admiral as part of a family policy and they will insure me on my own policy for £323 which I think is superb. Zurich refused to insure me. I’m an additional £300 on my husband’s electric car as a named driver.

I hope I’m okay to stay on this group because whilst I haven’t posted that often, I’ve found this site to be a great source of information, some of which have allayed my fears and some that have put the fear of god in me 🙂)! Whilst I don’t have great experience in all this, I hope I can offer hope and support to those out there travelling this awfully slow and arduous journey.

Good luck to each and every one of you.

Last edited:
Please help so I'm a hro. Due to get my licence back 17 July.

Applied 17th April
Scanned on the system 6th May.

Waiting for medical letter.

Any one have a rough time scale how long I'm going to be waiting. Supposed to be driving to France in August with my kids for disney land. Thanks in advance.
Hi

My ban was up 2nd May and I just received my licence in the post this morning. Overall it’s taken 16 weeks and 4 days since the date of application. I’m one of the lucky ones and I see many other people who have been waiting much longer, despite having no alcohol/drug/mental health issues. It really is a lottery how quickly your application is processed. Fingers and toes crossed for you.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off