DVLA Medical High Risk Offender Licence Application Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
So can appeal this?!

I'm a single mother to two under 5's, of course I drink! But I'm not stupid enough to make the same mistake twice! I don't even drive the day after anymore because I'm petrified I'll get pulled over! I can't believe this is happening 😭
Yes you can appeal it will tell you in the letter but I don't know anyone who has won, you need to speak to your GP to clarify where this information has come from or it could be an honest mistake DVLA do make them they are not the best in the world at getting it right, on the letter it will tell you if you think the decision is wrong you can send information to "further medical evidence route' where they will look at your case again, but first of all you need to start with your GP because this is where it has most likely come from, if you are showing signs of dependance from your GPs notes you can challenge your GPs decision and try and claim misuse which will keep you off the road for 6 months and you are to demonstrate to DVLA that you can drink sensibly within the government guidlines of no more than 14 units per week spread over 7 days.....

Yes you can appeal it will tell you in the letter but I don't know anyone who has won, you need to speak to your GP to clarify where this information has come from or it could be an honest mistake DVLA do make them they are not the best in the world at getting it right, on the letter it will tell you if you think the decision is wrong you can send information to "further medical evidence route' where they will look at your case again, but first of all you need to start with your GP because this is where it has most likely come from, if you are showing signs of dependance from your GPs notes you can challenge your GPs decision and try and claim misuse which will keep you off the road for 6 months and you are to demonstrate to DVLA that you can drink sensibly within the government guidlines of no more than 14 units per week spread over 7 days.....
I can't be off the road for 6 month's! I'm behind on my bills because of school uniform and now I'm going to loose my job! They can't **** with people's lifes like this!

I was revoked for dependance back in 2019, in my GP notes was dependance from 2006 and when I challenged this DVLA would not back down, so I had to do 12 months of abstination supplied 4 liver function tests and attend 4 DVLA medicals throughout the year all showing passable CDT levels and it was only when I completed the year did I get my `licence back, im now on my second medical review licence (temporary one year licence) and still 2 liver function tests per year, at your medical did you admit to having a drink on the DR1 form as this can also trigger a revocation ?

I was revoked for dependance back in 2019, in my GP notes was dependance from 2006 and when I challenged this DVLA would not back down, so I had to do 12 months of abstination supplied 4 liver function tests and attend 4 DVLA medicals throughout the year all showing passable CDT levels and it was only when I completed the year did I get my `licence back, im now on my second medical review licence (temporary one year licence) and still 2 liver function tests per year, at your medical did you admit to having a drink on the DR1 form as this can also trigger a revocation ?
Yes,I told the truth that I'd had a drink because I knew it would show on my CDT test.

Then I would say if they already had the DD2 from your GPs (medical report) showing dependence you then attended your medical and admitted to drinking on the form would almost certainly trigger a revocation of your license, if you have been labelled dependant then you can never drink again in order for you to get your license back, like me each medical I attend now I always put abstinate because I am however DVLA have now classed me as misuse on my last correspondence with them suggesting that I can drink within the government guidelines but the moment you admit to taking alcohol they will revoke you, and we have seen it happen here on the forum a number of times.....

Then I would say if they already had the DD2 from your GPs (medical report) showing dependence you then attended your medical and admitted to drinking on the form would almost certainly trigger a revocation of your license, if you have been labelled dependant then you can never drink again in order for you to get your license back, like me each medical I attend now I always put abstinate because I am however DVLA have now classed me as misuse on my last correspondence with them suggesting that I can drink within the government guidelines but the moment you admit to taking alcohol they will revoke you, and we have seen it happen here on the forum a number of times.....
I had my medical before my GP was contacted though? They had my results before contacting her? I went three months abstinence before my medical so how can I be dependent on alcohol, I wouldn't be able to go three months absolutely sober if I was dependent on alcohol! It's absolutely ridiculous

I had my medical before my GP was contacted though? They had my results before contacting her? I went three months abstinence before my medical so how can I be dependent on alcohol, I wouldn't be able to go three months absolutely sober if I was dependent on alcohol! It's absolutely ridiculous
Yes I know it's shit, but there are lots of different definitions of dependance, I merely told a doctor I was drinking about 30 units per week not knowing that the guidlines was 14 but it use to be 28 and my licence was revoked 3 months down the line, I've been through this journey but for you now you need to book a phone appointment with your GP, and obviously mention dependance and ask the question "where in my notes does it state that I am alcohol dependant" this then will be a starting point for you as this awful situation can be addressed by both you and your GP in order for you to get your licence back....

Yes I know it's shit, but there are lots of different definitions of dependance, I merely told a doctor I was drinking about 30 units per week not knowing that the guidlines was 14 but it use to be 28 and my licence was revoked 3 months down the line, I've been through this journey but for you now you need to book a phone appointment with your GP, and obviously mention dependance and ask the question "where in my notes does it state that I am alcohol dependant" this then will be a starting point for you as this awful situation can be addressed by both you and your GP in order for you to get your licence back....once DVLA class you as dependant it's very hard to overturn, unless there are no dependance notes in your GPs file then you can get this turned around with your GP through the "further medical evidence route" your GP can fax this information to them, fingers crossed......

Yes I know it's shit, but there are lots of different definitions of dependance, I merely told a doctor I was drinking about 30 units per week not knowing that the guidlines was 14 but it use to be 28 and my licence was revoked 3 months down the line, I've been through this journey but for you now you need to book a phone appointment with your GP, and obviously mention dependance and ask the question "where in my notes does it state that I am alcohol dependant" this then will be a starting point for you as this awful situation can be addressed by both you and your GP in order for you to get your licence back....
I'll be on the phone first thing tomorrow. I can't even drink alcohol any more, it makes me physically ill for day's afterwards which is obviously even more of a kick in the teeth! Can they cancel the revoke without having to wait the 6 months? I'm literally up shitscreek without a paddle here!

I'll be on the phone first thing tomorrow. I can't even drink alcohol any more, it makes me physically ill for day's afterwards which is obviously even more of a kick in the teeth! Can they cancel the revoke without having to wait the 6 months? I'm literally up shitscreek without a paddle here!
First of all discuss with your GP why you've been classed as dependant and if this is the case then DVLA will require 12 months of abstination, liver function tests as your medical evidence going forward and a last alcoholic drink date to be recorded with your GP and of course another DVLA medical, if you GP agrees to misuse then I'm afraid it's 6 months of controlled drinking before your licence can be granted back and again another DVLA medical , unfortunately a revoked licence cannot be cancelled it's up to you and your GP now to prove medical evidence to get your licence back.....even if it's a mistake on your GPs side then this will take time as the DVLA use prehistoric systems .......

Have you ever discussed with your GP or another at any time you can remember about your alcohol intake ?

Have you ever discussed with your GP or another at any time you can remember about your alcohol intake ?
A bout three years ago I discussed my own concerns over my drinking habits because of depression but obviously that was three years ago and I sorted myself out with no other problems with it since, other than going out on the odd weekend like everyone else and a bottle of wine after a shitty week, but no misuse

A bout three years ago I discussed my own concerns over my drinking habits because of depression but obviously that was three years ago and I sorted myself out with no other problems with it since, other than going out on the odd weekend like everyone else and a bottle of wine after a shitty week, but no misuse
Then clearly this is where it has come from, why they've labelled you dependant you'd have to ask that question, however on the DD2 medical report there are questions asked about mental health as well because DVLA know that drinking and depression go hand in hand not saying that you are but these are the questions that the DD2 ask That's sent to your GP, they investigated me for alcohol and mental health because I was diagnosed with anxiety a lot of people find using alcohol as a coping mechanism for your mental health, I was prescribed mirtazapine 45mg and still take and as long as you have your GPs support on the DD2 then your licence will be granted ....now is a good time to talk to your GP regarding your licence and what EXACTLY have they put in your notes as this is clearly having an affect on you obtaining your licence, on the DD2 form there is a question that asks: is your drinking controlled, and if the GP has put no then this is the question that's likely to have started your revocation,along with mental health and other alcohol questions, you can ask DVLA to send you all information they have on you including the DD2 that's stopped your licence by emailing: subjectacess.requests@dvla.gov.uk forward your name, address and medical no on your letter, all this information will then be released to you for you to better understand why your licence has been revoked, I too lost my job through this and I had nothing better to do than to study the DVLA and their practices plus how the GPs work and their secretaries that /forward your information for a whole year and it's this work I done that got me my licence back and to never lose it again....

Going by what you have said, if the limit for revocation is now in excess of 14 units per week, 90% of drivers in the country will get their licences revoked. I haven't drank for 2 years, but most people I knew in the past would consume 30 units over a weekend plus some additional during the week.

Going by what you have said, if the limit for revocation is now in excess of 14 units per week, 90% of drivers in the country will get their licences revoked. I haven't drank for 2 years, but most people I knew in the past would consume 30 units over a weekend plus some additional during the week.
Hi yes I couldn't agree more and if you tell DVLA that you consume any more than 3 drinks in one sitting (on your DR1 DVLA medical ) then this is used against you as misuse, pathetic I know but these are the rules we must all play when you are in the DVLA medical process....

Check out this post Luna it always sticks out in my mind when I read posts like this - https://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/threads/revoked-at-22-for-misuse.123106/

Telling your doctor you drink in excess of 14 units per week can get you revoked for misuse as this user found out. I have seen revocation at 30 units on this forum and the lowest being 20 units on this post.

@Jessicalala you mentioned how you seen your doctor 3 years ago and discussed your drinking, if you didn't speak to them about drinking again to say something along the lines of; "I stopped that and now have a handle on my drinking" then the doctor will not consider that issue as resolved. This means that when a questionnaire like that lands on their desk they have to answer the "is this issue under control" with No/Unknown and this will trigger the process that you find yourself in now. As everyone else has said, speak to your GP and see what your record reflects. I don't know of anyone being successful in an appeal to a DVLA medical decision.

Then clearly this is where it has come from, why they've labelled you dependant you'd have to ask that question, however on the DD2 medical report there are questions asked about mental health as well because DVLA know that drinking and depression go hand in hand not saying that you are but these are the questions that the DD2 ask That's sent to your GP, they investigated me for alcohol and mental health because I was diagnosed with anxiety a lot of people find using alcohol as a coping mechanism for your mental health, I was prescribed mirtazapine 45mg and still take and as long as you have your GPs support on the DD2 then your licence will be granted ....now is a good time to talk to your GP regarding your licence and what EXACTLY have they put in your notes as this is clearly having an affect on you obtaining your licence, on the DD2 form there is a question that asks: is your drinking controlled, and if the GP has put no then this is the question that's likely to have started your revocation,along with mental health and other alcohol questions, you can ask DVLA to send you all information they have on you including the DD2 that's stopped your licence by emailing: subjectacess.requests@dvla.gov.uk forward your name, address and medical no on your letter, all this information will then be released to you for you to better understand why your licence has been revoked, I too lost my job through this and I had nothing better to do than to study the DVLA and their practices plus how the GPs work and their secretaries that /forward your information for a whole year and it's this work I done that got me my licence back and to never lose it again....
Email for information sent! I presume my doctor will know how to contact the DVLA when I've spoken to her?

Check out this post Luna it always sticks out in my mind when I read posts like this - https://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/threads/revoked-at-22-for-misuse.123106/

Telling your doctor you drink in excess of 14 units per week can get you revoked for misuse as this user found out. I have seen revocation at 30 units on this forum and the lowest being 20 units on this post.

@Jessicalala you mentioned how you seen your doctor 3 years ago and discussed your drinking, if you didn't speak to them about drinking again to say something along the lines of; "I stopped that and now have a handle on my drinking" then the doctor will not consider that issue as resolved. This means that when a questionnaire like that lands on their desk they have to answer the "is this issue under control" with No/Unknown and this will trigger the process that you find yourself in now. As everyone else has said, speak to your GP and see what your record reflects. I don't know of anyone being successful in an appeal to a DVLA medical decision.
She asked me about my drinking when filling out the questionnaire and I said I have control of my drinking and only treat my self to bottle of wine every couple of weekends when my children are at their dad's house. A bottle of wine being what, 10units? So that's under the 14unit weekly guide line? I'll be calling tomorrow morning to get an appointment to find out what was answered on the questionnaire and have requested the information from the DVLA also, so yet again it's another waiting game and no doubt more money to be found for yet another medical. I'm going to have to quit my job because I physically can't there now unless I spend my wages on taxi's which would make it pointless working. They've screwed me over good and proper.

Email for information sent! I presume my doctor will know how to contact the DVLA when I've spoken to her?
Depending on the outcome of your GP discussion if its dependence then there is no need for your GP to contact the DVLA you will need to record a last alcoholic drink date with your doc so that you can reapply in 12 months time and this date will count as part of your medical evidence, if it's misuse then you reapply in 6 months, talk to your doc first to determine weather you are dependant or misuse, this needs to be clarified so that we or I can tell you what the next course of action should be, I think your subject access will take about 30 days to come and will make for some sobering reading....

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off