DVLA Medical High Risk Offender Licence Application Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Yes no problem I have nothing to hide I’m a very honest person who made a mistake 8 years ago

Yeah, there's a lot of others on this forum that are in a very similar boat. I was at one point - my GP (got shut of her as soon as she refused to put it right) shafted me over good with the DVLA. There's a good chance that her handy work may have messed up any chance I have of getting a longer than 1 year medical licence this time round too.

To be fair, I don't care if it is only a 1 year medical licence that I get, I'm more than happy to have a CDT test done every year for the rest of my life, if I have to*. CJ put my mind at ease about the CDT test and my 0.9% result last year - I'm massively grateful to him for that as it really was scaring me.

Edit: *as long as I don't have to pay for any of them at any point.

Hi,

Just got my licence back applied with D1 form on end of November got CDT booked for 5th Jan results came back 1.1% on the 16th. Licence issued for 10 years. Kept calling DVLA everyday from the 8th they got the bloods straight away but doctor took too long to send questionnaire back. Sent a email to the Tim email address also around the 13th as there was a job dependent on me getting my licence back.

HRO banned back in 2019 for DR40 and previous DR10 in 2016, was young and dumb definitely have learnt my lesson now. I abstained for 2 weeks prior to the blood test and had a glasss of wine on NYE.
Hello, whats the email address? x

Hi everyone,

Haven't posted for a while but read this forum constantly and have found it so helpful!
I was banned for 29 months, slight reduction with the course and my ban is technically up on the 28th of March. I'm a HRO so had my medical last Wednesday.
Not sure if anyone can advise on this but am I wasting my time by checking licence info online? I assume it will continue to read 'You are disqualified until 28th March 2024' until this date has passed. Trying to resist the urge to hound the DVLA as I know I still have 6 weeks until D Day anyway, however as we all know this wait is excruciating! Sometimes just some confirmation, good or bad makes all the difference.

Thanks,

Sarah

Hi everyone,

Haven't posted for a while but read this forum constantly and have found it so helpful!
I was banned for 29 months, slight reduction with the course and my ban is technically up on the 28th of March. I'm a HRO so had my medical last Wednesday.
Not sure if anyone can advise on this but am I wasting my time by checking licence info online? I assume it will continue to read 'You are disqualified until 28th March 2024' until this date has passed. Trying to resist the urge to hound the DVLA as I know I still have 6 weeks until D Day anyway, however as we all know this wait is excruciating! Sometimes just some confirmation, good or bad makes all the difference.

Thanks,

Sarah
Hi Sarah,

You're not wasting your time by checking online. As soon as your licence is granted, it will say that your licence is valid from the 29th March 2024. I'd probably just check once a week, so that you don't drive yourself insane.

I probably wouldn't bother calling them, as they'll no doubt just tell you that you're still disqualified anyway.

Hi Sarah,

You're not wasting your time by checking online. As soon as your licence is granted, it will say that your licence is valid from the 29th March 2024. I'd probably just check once a week, so that you don't drive yourself insane.

I probably wouldn't bother calling them, as they'll no doubt just tell you that you're still disqualified anyway.
Hiya,

Thank you!
All I needed to hear, appreciate it (y)

Do you know if they've been in contact with your GP or not? I guess you could call the DVLA and just ask if they are wanting to do that. The only reason I mention this is because when I first applied for my licence back a few years ago, they wrote to my GP and 4 months passed before they sent a letter out to me to say that the GP hadn't responded. I wish I had known about this, however it wouldn't really have mattered since my new (now old) GP lied about when I'd last consumed alcohol, so I was declined my licence anyway.

Do you know if they've been in contact with your GP or not? I guess you could call the DVLA and just ask if they are wanting to do that. The only reason I mention this is because when I first applied for my licence back a few years ago, they wrote to my GP and 4 months passed before they sent a letter out to me to say that the GP hadn't responded. I wish I had known about this, however it wouldn't really have mattered since my new (now old) GP lied about when I'd last consumed alcohol, so I was declined my licence anyway.
Hiya, mad to say this but I just called for that exact reason. Turns out they've sent a letter out today to tell me that my licence will be issued in the next 14 days. Over the moon - really appreciate the advice! Amazing for it to all nearly be over :) Sorry to hear about your troubles, complete minefield all this!

Hi Sarah,

I probably wouldn't bother calling them, as they'll no doubt just tell you that you're still disqualified nyway.

Hiya, mad to say this but I just called for that exact reason. Turns out they've sent a letter out today to tell me that my licence will be issued in the next 14 days. Over the moon - really appreciate the advice! Amazing for it to all nearly be over  Sorry to hear about your troubles, complete minefield all this!

Hiya, mad to say this but I just called for that exact reason. Turns out they've sent a letter out today to tell me that my licence will be issued in the next 14 days. Over the moon - really appreciate the advice! Amazing for it to all nearly be over  Sorry to hear about your troubles, complete minefield all this!

Hi,

Just got my licence back applied with D1 form on end of November got CDT booked for 5th Jan results came back 1.1% on the 16th. Licence issued for 10 years. Kept calling DVLA everyday from the 8th they got the bloods straight away but doctor took too long to send questionnaire back. Sent a email to the Tim email address also around the 13th as there was a job dependent on me getting my licence back.

HRO banned back in 2019 for DR40 and previous DR10 in 2016, was young and dumb definitely have learnt my lesson now. I abstained for 2 weeks prior to the blood test and had a glasss of wine on NYE.
Hi, what’s the Tim email? What is the email address, please?

Has anyone waited longer than 8 weeks after their medical?
Yep. Thirteen weeks (though it was mid-Covid lockdown and the DVLA was all over the place with industrial disputes.)

Believe me, reading this thread, their present performance is outstanding by comparison.

Yep. Thirteen weeks (though it was mid-Covid lockdown and the DVLA was all over the place with industrial disputes.)

Believe me, reading this thread, their present performance is outstanding by comparison.
Thanks for sharing your experience! This waiting game is tedious

Thanks for sharing your experience! This waiting game is tedious
I know. But it'll be a memory before too long.

In the meantime, enjoy your last few walks, bus and taxi rides and lifts and if you're anything like me, you'll look back on this stressful time with almost a whiff of nostalgia. ~(Emphasis on the 'almost'!).

I know. But it'll be a memory before too long.

In the meantime, enjoy your last few walks, bus and taxi rides and lifts and if you're anything like me, you'll look back on this stressful time with almost a whiff of nostalgia. ~(Emphasis on the 'almost'!).
Yes 🙌 love that x

My timeline from application to issue of license:

6/11/23: Posted application and DR1 recorded delivery
7/11/23: DVLA confirmed receipt when I rang them
23/12/23: Letter received to say my gp has been written to
9/1/24: Met with gp to complete DD2 form
22/1/24: Rang DVLA who confirmed they have the completed DD2 from my gp (he emailed it to them on 9/1/24)
31/1/24: Called DVLA for update. They said they’d sent me a letter on 25.1.24 asking me to book a medical. NOTE- I never received this letter.
2/2/24: Asked DVLA to email me the above mentioned letter, which they did.
2/2/24: Booked medical for 28.2.24
28/2/24: Had medical
29/2/24: DVLA confirmed receipt of blood test results
11/3/24: DVLA confirmed they have everything they need (paperwork from the dr I had the medical with had now been received)
20/3/24: License issued and license status showing on government website.

I hope the above helps!

Massive thank you to every single person who has helped me over the last year or so. Your kindness, support, understanding and advice is appreciated more than you know.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off