DVLA medical help

Convicted Driver Insurance

StarGirl

Hi Everyone, not sure if this is the right place to post this so apologies if not.

I am currently trying to renew my driving license but have been told the DVLA need ne to have a medical to test my CDT levels. I am really confused by this as I have never got behind the wheel after drinking, in fact I have never had any driving convictions at all.

The whole reason for this is a few years ago I had some siezures that were eventual put down to excessive alcohol, I no longer drink and have told the DVLA this but now I feel like I'm being punished for a crime I have never committed!

Does anyone have any experience of this and does anyone know where I stand legally as I am seriously considering going to the Ombudsman and taking this to court. My job is now at risk as I have to drive for it!

Thank you in advance for any help!

The dvla medical is all about your fitness to drive and being safe on the road and to other road users,you don't have to commit an offence like drink driving, however because of your alcohol related seizures you will be thoroughly investigated through your own gp into your fitness to drive,no need to bother with court the magistrate would side with the dvla, right now you have to prove you are fit to drive and not a danger to pedestrians or other road users and the only way forward is through your own gp and dvla medicals, the big question is though with excessive alcohol intake will dvla class you as dependent or alcohol misuse not the news you want I know but this is a tough road your going down....

If they do label you as dependent you will have to abstain from alcohol for 12 months backed up with a DD2 medical report from your gp which the dvla will send to your doctors surgery/if they label you misuse its 6 months of controlled drinking again backed up with medical reports from your doctors...I know it's all a bit confusing at the moment but it will become clearer as you move along, it's been 10 months for me so far and still no license yet , was revoked for telling a doctor I drank 30 units a week labelled me as misuse and at the beginning I felt exactly like you do now?

At your dvla medical there is a medical questionnaire to fill in, most of these questions are related to drinking habits blackouts and seizures and mental health, you will be expected to tick the boxes that apply to you which will then trigger the medical investigation, any more questions just ask I'm more than happy to help..

Just be aware that you need to be really honest with yourself and if you have had any blackouts or seizures, you need to be frank with the doctor conducting the medical and tell them exactly what has happened in the past

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies guys , the dvla have already gotten all of my doctors reports and still need the medical. I have drank in nearly a year and my GP said the same thing to them and that will be back up by the medical. I cant imagine the DVLA will ask for another 6 months on top of that?! That's basically saying in guilty until proven innocent which isn't how the law works

Sounds like stargirl you've done all the hard work doctors,abstaining if they do ask you for medical evidence it'll be just a matter of putting it all together and forwarding to the dvla...

Medical Trap.........
Hi grateful for everyone's input. I had the misfortune to have a mini stroke June 2018 ,recovered quickly. This event meant my Class 2 was revoked for 1 year, car for just 1 month. So this year I thought I'd re apply for Class2 and it was the worst possible thing I could have done given Id really given up driving buses etc.
So DVLA sent me for a medical ,I thought ...great a free PCV medical...sooo wrong on arrival at some private docs I was handed a form relating only to alcohol intake !!!
I should have smelt a rat earlier, the "Doctor" proceeded to take blood checked my weight and height finished....literally.
I've had a clean licence for 45years, have never knowingly drink driven, and would never condone it. So id never heard of CDT ,next thing iam informed a reading of 2.4 .so yes I've had a few times ive drank too much and shared my overindulgence issues with my Doctor. again ive never put other road users at risk.
So iam staring out the window looking at my new car id bought this year. No income, grinding boredom and a very dark view of the total injustice of that Swansea mob. Sp being honest isn't always the best policy?

Hello everyone , I have a few questions and hope someone can advise me .
I have had my license revoked and I have been labelled as alcohol dependent, but in reality it was a one off abuse of alcohol over a few weeks over a period of very bad personal circumstances ,it’s never happened before , I have never been treated for dependence, I have never drunk driven and my normal drinking intake is around 12-15 units ,
My question is , what do I do now ? How often should I now have blood tests to prove the 12 months abstinence ? And specifically what tests do I need to have ?
also , can my GP provide me with evidence that it was a one off binge and not a dependency ? Therefore getting it reduced to misuse instead ?
Thank you for any advice

I have had my license revoked and I have been labelled as alcohol dependent, but in reality it was a one off abuse of alcohol over a few weeks over a period of very bad personal circumstances ,it’s never happened before , I have never been treated for dependence, I have never drunk driven and my normal drinking intake is around 12-15 units ,
My question is , what do I do now ? How often should I now have blood tests to prove the 12 months abstinence ? And specifically what tests do I need to have ?
also , can my GP provide me with evidence that it was a one off binge and not a dependency ? Therefore getting it reduced to misuse instead ?
Thank you for any advice
What was your reading if you dont mind me asking. Unfortunately a reading of 3% and above indicates dependance. You can always ask your doctor to test you for anything that could cause false positive results such as some liver diseases. My mum has an autoimmune disease called PBC which means her CDT is always around 10% even though she never drinks!

What was your reading if you dont mind me asking. Unfortunately a reading of 3% and above indicates dependance. You can always ask your doctor to test you for anything that could cause false positive results such as some liver diseases. My mum has an autoimmune disease called PBC which means her CDT is always around 10% even though she never drinks!
Iv never had any kind of test but I did volunteer to attend a few appointments at the local drug and alcohol centre but after keeping a drink diary they told me I had no need to be there , but Iv never had any kind of blood test , so I can only assume that they have had this information from my GP

Iv never had any kind of test but I did volunteer to attend a few appointments at the local drug and alcohol centre but after keeping a drink diary they told me I had no need to be there , but Iv never had any kind of blood test , so I can only assume that they have had this information from my GP
I would request all your medical information directly from your GP to find out where this came from then, sounds really unfair. It's a little pricey but I would recommend doing a medichecks CDT blood test and use the results of that to appeal directly to the DVLA

I would request all your medical information directly from your GP to find out where this came from then, sounds really unfair. It's a little pricey but I would recommend doing a medichecks CDT blood test and use the results of that to appeal directly to the DVLA
Thanks for the advice, I did consider appealing, I read that the appeals are rarely successful, so I will start with requesting a CDT test and take it from there , I was also wondering what I need to do now in order to re apply in 12 months time if they uphold the ruling that I was dependent and not misused alcohol

Thanks for the advice, I did consider appealing, I read that the appeals are rarely successful, so I will start with requesting a CDT test and take it from there , I was also wondering what I need to do now in order to re apply in 12 months time if they uphold the ruling that I was dependent and not misused alcohol
It's worth trying the appeal process. The best way to prove absitence is to have a blood test through your GP to check liver enzymes every few months, that'll give the DVLA proof that you havent been drinking to harmful levels I think. Unfortunately I'm not an expert so I'm not sure if that's the best thing to do! Hope you get it sorted

It's worth trying the appeal process. The best way to prove absitence is to have a blood test through your GP to check liver enzymes every few months, that'll give the DVLA proof that you havent been drinking to harmful levels I think. Unfortunately I'm not an expert so I'm not sure if that's the best thing to do! Hope you get it sorted
Thanks I will do that I think

Thank you for any advice
Hi Irekul if the DVLA are classing you as alcohol dependant it is important to document your last drink and units with your gp and stick to that date, the reason being that when DVLA come to relicence you they will issue a licence one year from the date of your last drink, very important to remember that, but as mentioned earlier make sure you have your liver function tests with your gp (maybe 3/4 through out the year) along with your CDT to prove your abstination

Hi Irekul if the DVLA are classing you as alcohol dependant it is important to document your last drink and units with your gp and stick to that date, the reason being that when DVLA come to relicence you they will issue a licence one year from the date of your last drink, very important to remember that, but as mentioned earlier make sure you have your liver function tests with your gp (maybe 3/4 through out the year) along with your CDT to prove your abstination
Thanks for that , but do I need to have weekly or monthly alcohol tests as well to prove I have not been drinking ? Sorry it’s a bit confusing to me at the moment

So you should have liver function test with your own gp one blood test every three months over one year to show all your blood levels are normal, hope that's a bit clearer for you and you have a DVLA medical which will include CDT testing when they send for you....

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off