DVLA MEDICAL: GOOD NEWS AND ADVICE IF ANYONE NEEDS IT

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hello Blue81, DVLA guidelines state that you have to be alcohol free for 1 year if you have been diagnosed with alcohol dependence/been through a detox/have alcohol related cirrhosis. I assume your stint in rehab was also a detoxification?

The DVLA will class you as dependant if you have been through any detoxification program. Probably not the news you want to hear but by DVLA guidelines the earliest you can re-apply for your licence will be 1 year from the date of your last drink, did you stop drinking in March 2018 or 2019? Make sure to keep in good contact with your GP as they will want evidence to back up how long you have been sober for. This will be made available to them via doctors records.

I have received a call today from DVLA informing me that my license has been issued. With no restrictions or time limits etc.

I found the experience quite stressful. I am therefore willing to offer help to anyone who needs it. I have spent a lot of time looking into cdt testing etc and have taken the medical recently so hopefully i should be able to help. The DVLA also contacted my GP so if anybody has any questions about that then please ask.

I will give you an honest answer so plz be honest with me.

This site has been great. Some really nice people. But at times i wished i had never come across it. There are to many people who lie and cause others to worry. SO PLZ TELL THE TRUTH!!!!!

Good Luck
Hi I was just wondering I've been banned from driving until.a year jan8ary I will have to take the medical what I'm concerned about is I take medication for my anxiety and depression will tha6 effect me gett9ng my licence back

It depends on the medication. My father is on strong medication and was given a 2 year licence, he was never banned mind I was just at his renewal.

I am on standard antidepressants and an antipsychotic and have been issued a 3 year licence.

My licence was revoked last year through going a detox I'm sending my medical forms in today I will be 12 month sober a month today ! But on my medical forms I put my last drink was 11th September 2018 . My question is the dvla wont categorise this as alcohol within the past year when you can apply 8 weeks before the end of th 12 months ?? Cheers

Hi,

I got a 3 year ban as was my second within 10 years. 2 years ago I spent some time in rehab. My ban actually finished last November but I knew I wasn't ready for the test. I haven't touched a drop since March so the CDT test I have no issues it's more the questionnaire as obviously I will have to state I was in rehab and I also have liver cirrhosis. Not sure if anyone has been in the same or similar situation?
I've just got the bad news today that me licence is revoked after passing my 2nd medical wiv zero drugs nd get level 0.5%.questionnaire states the last 3yrs.but DVLA are trying to go bk 6yrs..........time to appeal me thinks

What was their given reason for revoking you?

If there's any record of dependency with your GP the DVLA require strict abstainance and are within their right to revoke on the grounds that abstainance is not being met. They can go back as far as they want with that, some cases on here they've pulled the dependency card 25 years after a user was last detoxed.

Last edited:
I've had 2 blood test in the past year both show no alcohol waiting on dvla reply now

Last edited:
Hi All, I am currently in that re-applying process. Re-applied for my licence on 6th August, medical on the 27th Aug, abstained from alcohol for around 22 days before. Only usually drink twice a month, nothing mid week. I have been calling DVLA for an update every couple of days since.

Update as of today, 10th Sept. Next stage of the application has been progressed. They have written out to my GP as of today, 10th Sept. I cannot see how that is going to answer any questions, probably been to the doctors once since I was 18 (now 30)... My old GP retired and haven't seen the new one so seems a big waste of time.

Ban is up on the 7th Nov, after a 18 month ban. Seems to be lasting for ever. I have read through all your other replies, writing seems to GP seems to be the norm now?

Thanks.

Hi,

I got a 3 year ban as was my second within 10 years. 2 years ago I spent some time in rehab. My ban actually finished last November but I knew I wasn't ready for the test. I haven't touched a drop since March so the CDT test I have no issues it's more the questionnaire as obviously I will have to state I was in rehab and I also have liver cirrhosis. Not sure if anyone has been in the same or similar situation?
Hi Blue81

I'm in a very similar situation. I was in rehab just after getting busted 2 years ago and haven't touched a drop since. I'm wondering if they'll want to talk to the rehab. I fully expect that they'll be in touch with my GP as I declared that I had been treated for alcohol dependence.

Hi Blue81

I'm in a very similar situation. I was in rehab just after getting busted 2 years ago and haven't touched a drop since. I'm wondering if they'll want to talk to the rehab. I fully expect that they'll be in touch with my GP as I declared that I had been treated for alcohol dependence.
Was it private rehab

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off