DVLA MEDICAL. DOES THE MEDICAL ALWAYS INCLUDE A URINE SAMPLE??

Convicted Driver Insurance

buffalobill

I AM DUE A MEDICAL NEXT WEEK AND COULD DO WITH SOME HELP IF POSSIBLE. I HAVE NO WORRIES PASSING THE BLOOD TEST FOR THE DRINKING SIDE OF THINGS BUT I HAVE SMOKED A JOINT AS I DIDN'T THINK THEY TESTED FOR DRUGS STUPID I KNOW?? MY DOCTOR WOULD HAVE NO REASON TO TELL THE DVLA DOCTORS THAT I HAVE HAD A DRUG PROBLEM IN THE LAST THREE (3) YEARS AND THERE IS NOTHING ABOUT CANNABIS IN MY MEDICAL HISTORY. I HAVE ALSO HAD A TOOTH OUT RECENTLY AND ENDED UP WITH A DRY SOCKET AND TO ANYONE WHO DOES NOT KNOW WHAT ONE IS THEN ILL EXPLAIN VERY SIMPLY, PURE AGONY !! MY MOTHER HAD ONE AN SAID IT WAS WORSE THAN CHILD BIRTH!!! REGARDS THE TOOTH EXTRACTION AND DRY SOCKET I SEEN MY DAD FOR SOME DECENT PAIN KILLER WHICH HE IS ON AN HE GAVE ME A FEW DIFFERENT THINGS BUT THEY WERE BASICALLY CODINE BASED ( I THINK LOL) SO BASICALLY I AM ASKING WILL THE DOCTOR RANDOMLY ASK FOR URINE?? I AM OBVIOUSLY ANSWERING NO TO ALL RELAVENT QUESTIONS WHEN I COMPLETE THE MEDICAL QUESTIONAIRE. WILL IT BE THE DVLA WHO ASK THE DOCTOR TO GIVE ME A URINE SAMPLE??? ANY HELP?? I WOULD BE GREATFULL AND WILL ALSO POST WHAT HAPPENS UNLIKE MOST WHO ARE ONLY HERE TO HELP THEIR SELFS!! TIA. BUFFALO......

FORGOT TO ASK ABOUT THE URINE SAMPLE IF THEY DO ASK FOR ONE. I HAVE A REALLY SHY BLADDER TOO, HAVE TO CLOSE THE DOOR EVEN IN FRONT OF MY PARTNER AND SOMETIMES SIT DOWN LIKE A WOMAN (DON'T LAUGH LOL) AND HEARD HORROR STORIES OF BASICALLY HAVING TO STRIP OFF AND THE NURSE STANDING OVER YOUR SHOULDER, IF THIS WAS SO I KNOW I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO PRODUCE A SAMPLE EVEN IF MY EYES WERE WATERING AN ABOUT TO BURST!!! SOMEONE PLS HELP WHO HAS BEEN FOR A MEDICAL RECENTLY.......BUFFALO.........TIA

The standard DVLA medical does not include a urine test, so your bladder is safe.
i think, however, that your caps lock button needs attention........

Thanks for your reply Price 1367.... I actually did have a problem with my other laptop as my little girl had broken the caps lock button and could not turn it off..... I see you are a regular on here and i feel i must let people know why i am on this site and why i was banned from driving.. Here is what happened..... I went to a party of a good friend, whilst having a good time and drinking lots of alcohol we had soon gone through the various music we had in the house holders collection, one of my friends said they had a great CD in the cars stereo and said "go get it" i grabbed the keys and went out side, went to the car which was blocked in by 3 cars and opened the car turned ignition on and the CD in question was still playing i sat for maybe 30 seconds an at this point i got the "tap on the shoulder" you got it !! POLICE.... they asked what i was doing an i was polite and told them i was attending a party at this residence and was just getting a CD out of a friends car, the police then said they was here because someone had complained about the noise level, i then said i would sort the problem and apologised and at this point i thought the police would leave, how wrong was i !!!! The police at this point produced a breath tester and asked for a sample, i was at this point a little bit confused as i was not driving the car, the car in question was cold, not running and blocked in by three cars, i explained this and i asked why they wanted a sample and they then said because i was IN CHARGE OF A MOTOR VEHICLE !!! I was obviously shocked by this and i refused to give a sample and was arrested..... At the police station i again refused both a breath test then a blood test, i thought i was in the right and this would go no where but i was charged and convicted (DR60) at court and received a 12 month ban, which my solicitor said was a "GOOD RESULT" !!! not for me... I lost my job, my freedom, and much more !!! Now i am here because i have to attend a medical, if i had knew about all this i would have given a sample served my ban and now would be on the road..... I know i have done wrong by smoking a joint but i do not drink do not go out to the pub and have a wife and two children, i smoke a joint on a weekend only but as most know it stays in your system a long time but i thought i was only looking at a blood sample to check i did not have a drink problem (which i do not). Can any body help with what will happen and what i should say on the medical??? If i put i drink on special occasions will this raise suspicion ??? I honestly have a shy bladder and someone looking at me whilst i try to give a sample would stop me urinating full stop, i cannot pass urine with my own wife in the room and i sometimes have to sit down too WEE !!! Please someone help, Will i defo NOT have a urine test??? why would i be different from someone else and be asked for a pee sample???? what reason i mean??? does the test centre speak to MY doctor before or after the medical??? sorry for the long post but as you can see i am very very very worried, please I KNOW I SHOULD NOT HAVE SMOKED CANNABIS but thats too late now, PLEASE HELP.... 1) What should i say on medical questionaire 2) If any one has had a urine sample does the doctor hold your hand whilst you go??? Again pls help and again thank you very much for your reply Price..... Buffalobill.....

Oh dear, you certainly went about that the wrong way.
the police can breath test anyone who they suspect of having consumed alcohol who is driving, attempting to drive or IN CHARGE of a motor vehicle, which you were.
if you had provided a sample you could have put forward the defence that you were not going to drive whilst still over the limit, which may well have succeeded because it was blocked in,, and not your car.
As it is, all the police have to show is that you were in charge of the vehicle - which you were, sat inside with the keys in the ignition, and that you failed to supply a sample of breath, which you did. That at means that the likelihood of you driving does not come into it. The police would have read out to you a caption that says that if you "fail to provide 2 samples of breath then that will render you liable to prosecution." You should have heeded the warning!
As to the medical, any enquiry with your doctor is done after your medical, where the DVLA medical panel write to ask for their opinion an any relevant fact on your medical history in the past 2/3 years.
I only ever advise people to be honest on their medical questionnaire. If you do admit to ccannabiss use then this's could trigger the requirement for a urine sample. This would show usage for up to 28-35 days.

Last edited:
Thanks again for your reply Price 1367. I did go about the situation the wrong way but at the time i was in drink an a little bit angry and defensive as most would be, it did feel like the police were "picking" on me but that's by the by now an in hind sight i should have dealt with it differently.... what i am trying to clarify is about the urine sample and just wanted to know because of the new law on 2nd march weather or not a urine is mandatory on the medical now so needed to know from someone who has been for the medical after 2nd march but it does not look like anyone who comes on here has been after 2nd march. It would be good to know for sure that if i am honest about the cannabis weather or not the medical will ask THERE AND THEN for a urine sample as if they did not ask for one and called me back later i would be fine as i have stopped now (2 WEEKS) i am under the impression that this up and coming medical will not involve a urine sample either way but if i am honest i will be called back for a urine sample if the DVLA think it should be investigated further.. What do you think?? I am really panicking as this is a big part of my future and cannot earn the sort of money to give my children the future i want them too have.... Please anyone who can help... I will post what happens as most who post never return after they have the info they need they do not return to help others !! I WILL.... Once again big thanks too PRICE 1367 What do you think Price 1367 about the medical having a mandatory urine sample after the new law on the 2nd march ?? I have just read my doctors letter which the DVLA has sent and it has no mention of a urine sample just blood... thanks from a panicking Buffalobill.......

Hi
i went for my medical last thursday, there was no piss test for me. Was only in 6mins, took blood, eye test, had a prod, answerd no to all his questions and i was on my way

Just a quick thank you to geordienick. With what Price1367 and your self has said and my medical letter saying nothing about a piss test you have put my mind at ease. I will up date what happens either way. thanks again and any more info from other would be great..... buffalobill......

Thanks people who replied to my posts... I went to my medical today and i did get a urine test which i passed with flying colours :cool: my height was recorded with weight then an eye sight test, all recorded for the doctor on a piece of paper, bloods taken (three goes:confused:).... on to the doctor, very straight forward, quick visual inspection which i suspect you are not supposed to notice but as i read the paper work the nurse sent with me to hand to the doctor i knew it was coming :p just to check you dont smell of drink, have slurred speech, or in the doctors opinion you look like an alcoholic !!! asked about my drinking habits, i told truth, 12-16 units a month as i go out fortnightly to play snooker with my father, i had 3 pints of normal lager on 23/05 and doctor told me as long as thats the truth i will be fine!!! the doctor then asked me too lay on the bed, bit of prodding to check liver, all fine for me then when i stood up asked me to reach for sky then touch toes, then closed eyes and when open stand on one foot then the other, for me all done with no problem... When finished doctor asked if i had any questions so i asked his opinion and he said he had no problem and as long as my bloods were ok i will get my licence back!!!!!! just a case of waiting now 3/4 weeks by all accounts, anyone know on this??? It has taken a rather large weight of my shoulders, not forgetting people that this is massive in some ppl's lives and it is for me, my family have suffered with not going out as much, no sea side trips ect..... cant wait for the return of my plastic !!! fingers crossed.... I have had no more than 12 pints in last 4 half months, what do ppl think my chances are???? again thanks for replys!!! BUFFALOBILL....

Thanks people who replied to my posts... I went to my medical today and i did get a urine test which i passed with flying colours :cool: my height was recorded with weight then an eye sight test, all recorded for the doctor on a piece of paper, bloods taken (three goes:confused:).... on to the doctor, very straight forward, quick visual inspection which i suspect you are not supposed to notice but as i read the paper work the nurse sent with me to hand to the doctor i knew it was coming :p just to check you dont smell of drink, have slurred speech, or in the doctors opinion you look like an alcoholic !!! asked about my drinking habits, i told truth, 12-16 units a month as i go out fortnightly to play snooker with my father, i had 3 pints of normal lager on 23/05 and doctor told me as long as thats the truth i will be fine!!! the doctor then asked me too lay on the bed, bit of prodding to check liver, all fine for me then when i stood up asked me to reach for sky then touch toes, then closed eyes and when open stand on one foot then the other, for me all done with no problem... When finished doctor asked if i had any questions so i asked his opinion and he said he had no problem and as long as my bloods were ok i will get my licence back!!!!!! just a case of waiting now 3/4 weeks by all accounts, anyone know on this??? It has taken a rather large weight of my shoulders, not forgetting people that this is massive in some ppl's lives and it is for me, my family have suffered with not going out as much, no sea side trips ect..... cant wait for the return of my plastic !!! fingers crossed.... I have had no more than 12 pints in last 4 half months, what do ppl think my chances are???? again thanks for replys!!! BUFFALOBILL....

my licence is in the post, it took 3 days for them to get my bloods back and they gave me the result on the fone, (0.9) from day of medical to licence in the post was 8 days :)

thanks geordienick. thats good for you, 8 days is the best i have heard of, do you mind if i ask what area you are from, remembering a lot of geordies do move lol.... did you phone say after a week?? or did dvla phone you??? i hope mine is the same, pls if there is a god lol. hope you can answer my questions..... Buffalobill

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me.
I had my licence revoked on sept 5th 2015. As I was in hospital for having psychosis. I had my licence took and would get it back after 3 months of being stable.
I have done my 3 months of being stable which has been confirmed by psychiatrist and CPN.
As I declared on D1 or M1 (can't remember which) form that I had taken cocaine in the August before licence was taken... as a one off.
They sent me a letter 2 weeks ago to say I needed to fill out a dg1 form as I had a medical condition (drug misuse). I written a corresponding letter along with the form to say I had no education condition and it was a one off.
Well there sending me for a medical, for a urine test. They confirmed on the phone today, I have to wait for the letter. To ring and make the appointment.
Stupidly, I took amphetamine on New Year's Eve. Again a one off, and a tiny bit. I rang talk to frank, (I know, abit too far but I wanted to make sure). They said as it was a one off it will only show in urine for up to 5 days. But my nerves still don't seem to be settled. It will have been 5 days ago today that I took the amphetamine. Does anyone agree or disagree with "talk to frank"?

I would agree with Frank, 4-5 days is all that is required for Amphetamine to not show up in a urine sample, so you will be fine.that is why I always laugh when people are announced to be "clear of drugs" when they test negative on the Jeremy Kyle show, it means very little.
i think you need to think about why you experiment with drugs, because if you already have has psychotic episodes, drugs will not help you at all. See from the NHS website where they list drugs that can cause psychotic episodes, including Cocaine and Amphetamine......

www.nhs.uk/conditions/psychosis/pages/causes.aspx

Thank you for your reply. It really is much appreciated.
I've had psychosis for two years. They've finally told me i have traits of a personality disorder. The cocaine in August and amphetamine on new year are both one offs. I can assure you I won't be doing it again. Other than them two times, I've actually never done drugs. My psychosis they believe begun when I had been prescribed steroids. Sorry, just wanted to clarify my psychosis didn't come from drug abuse. Though I understand you wasn't insinuating that.
Again, I can't thank you enough for your reply.

Kim,
thanks for the reply. I didn't think that your problems were caused by drugs, you were clear that they were single episodes.... I just wanted to point out that certain drugs could make your situation worse.
I see people on our courses who have has bad experiences in their lives which have caused them to be depressed - understandably.
the problem for them is that they then turns to drink - which is a depressant - and will never solve the problem of depression.
It is an escape for them I know, but actually makes things worse for them.

I will be sure to let everyone know how I get on. This forum has been extremely helpful to me.
My letter from the DVLA should arrive in the next couple of days, to make the medical appointment.

BUFFALOBILL....

Can you please let me know if when you took your urine test a nurse was actually in the cubicle with you? Or were they outside the door, any info would be so highly appreciated!!!

Thanks u

Phillie

Just a quick one.

I have had my medical last friday, rang dvla today and they said they have my bloods back now waiting for info from GP is this standard

Just a quick one.

I have had my medical last friday, rang dvla today and they said they have my bloods back now waiting for info from GP is this standard

Hi Carlos
It's not unusual, going by people's reports here. Keep calling DVLA to see if they've heard from the doc. Personally, mine came back very quickly and my licence was issued 8days after my medical, including the weekend. Someone else here has had to chase the report from the doc almost 2 weeks after their medical because DVLA doesn't seem to have it, although like you, their bloods have been with DVLA for several days already.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off