DVLA MEDICAL. DOES THE MEDICAL ALWAYS INCLUDE A URINE SAMPLE??

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi Carlos
It's not unusual, going by people's reports here. Keep calling DVLA to see if they've heard from the doc. Personally, mine came back very quickly and my licence was issued 8days after my medical, including the weekend. Someone else here has had to chase the report from the doc almost 2 weeks after their medical because DVLA doesn't seem to have it, although like you, their bloods have been with DVLA for several days already.

Hi

thanks for the reply.

do you know what they want from doctor as thinking back to when I joined the doctors I filled in a questionnaire and I think I may have said that I have had memory loss in the past but I dint say that for my drink drive medical

Hi

thanks for the reply.

do you know what they want from doctor as thinking back to when I joined the doctors I filled in a questionnaire and I think I may have said that I have had memory loss in the past but I dint say that for my drink drive medical

I'm not sure what you mean.
You had your medical on Friday last week. You said DVLA have your blood test results but nothing from the doctor, that's the doctor you saw for your medical not your own GP. The information that the DVLA medical doctor sends is the questionnaire you completed and any other information that the doctor got from your meeting. Height, weight and general impressions of you etc.. DVLA don't automatically write to your own GP. They only make further enquiries if you've provided answers that raise a flag, the medical exam doctor had suspicions or concerns or if your blood test reveals a 'higher than desirable' CDT level (above 2.2%). Or a combination of two or all of the above.

DVLA state that they will write to you if they need to make further enquiries with your own GP.

If I misunderstood your initial post, I am sorry..

I'm not sure what you mean.
You had your medical on Friday last week. You said DVLA have your blood test results but nothing from the doctor, that's the doctor you saw for your medical not your own GP. The information that the DVLA medical doctor sends is the questionnaire you completed and any other information that the doctor got from your meeting. Height, weight and general impressions of you etc.. DVLA don't automatically write to your own GP. They only make further enquiries if you've provided answers that raise a flag, the medical exam doctor had suspicions or concerns or if your blood test reveals a 'higher than desirable' CDT level (above 2.2%). Or a combination of two or all of the above.

DVLA state that they will write to you if they need to make further enquiries with your own GP.

If I misunderstood your initial post, I am sorry..

O right I see now. When they said they are waiting for form from doctor they meant the one doing medical not my gp. I thought they meant gp
thanks

Can anyone give me some advice I have just done my medical and I said I use cannabis no more than once every couple of months at a social event if there is one nothing crazy. Will this encourage them to ask me to do a drugs test?

Did the doctor ask you to do a urine test?
If not you were lucky! They could still ask you to provide a urine sample when DVLA review the results of the medical, just remember that generally cannabis residues (carboxy thc) can show up in your urine for 28-35 days.

Did the doctor ask you to do a urine test?
If not you were lucky! They could still ask you to provide a urine sample when DVLA review the results of the medical, just remember that generally cannabis residues (carboxy thc) can show up in your urine for 28-35 days.

I did a urine test but the nurse said it was only to see wether there was a high amount of sugar to see wether I had possible diabetes!? On the form I said I had used cannabis within the last 3 years and I probably use it once every couple of months, I am just hoping it doesn’t prompt them to call me back for further tests as I really need my license back. I could have just said no to all the questions but I thought it was better to be honest in case they did test me for it and it showed up in my system!!

Seems very unlikely the nurse was telling the truth, the DVLA are not in the business of diagnosing people with diabetes, and sugar in urine = diabetes is a century out of date anyway.

I think it is very likely a drugs test if they observed you give the sample

Quite likely the nurse guessed as I doubt they would be told you were being tested for drugs.
She put a tester in my urine sample said everything looks fine and then tipped it away so I don’t know wether it was for that or not hopefully it’s all fine I’m just really worrying about it

I have had quite a few report of doctors taking a urine sample and dipping it for diabetes, even though, as TipsyNurse says, it it rather outmoded. It will NOT have been a drugs test, that would have had to be sent to a laboratory for testing, so you can put your mind at ease on that.

I have had quite a few report of doctors taking a urine sample and dipping it for diabetes, even though, as TipsyNurse says, it it rather outmoded. It will NOT have been a drugs test, that would have had to be sent to a laboratory for testing, so you can put your mind at ease on that.
Ok so I have spoken to the dvla this morning for a progress report and the lady on the phone said if I said I have smoked it a month ago it will probably prompt them to do a drug test and if there is any cannabis in my system they will give me a further disqualification for 12 months, I think this is so unfair! I have looked online and it says it leaves your system after 30 days so I’m sure I will pass it if I have to have one I’m just so worried about it now as there is a chance there might be a tiny bit visible in my system, can you offer me any advice can they really disqualify me for having a tiny bit visible in my system? On previous posts on this thread somebody has said they smoke it twice a week and they passed and got their license back! Am I worrying about nothing?

If you are only an occasional joint smoker then it will be far less than 30 days, more like 7-10, but don’t have any more just yet till you know if you are getting your licence.........

If you are only an occasional joint smoker then it will be far less than 30 days, more like 7-10, but don’t have any more just yet till you know if you are getting your licence.........
Ok thanks for your advice I appreciate it

Not sure if you still use this site ? When you had your urine sample , did you see the pot , the lines that show if you are free of drugs ?
The nurse said it wasn’t testing for drugs but she did dip something in the urine to test apparently the level of sugar in my urine

Thanks people who replied to my posts... I went to my medical today and i did get a urine test which i passed with flying colours :cool: my height was recorded with weight then an eye sight test, all recorded for the doctor on a piece of paper, bloods taken (three goes:confused:).... on to the doctor, very straight forward, quick visual inspection which i suspect you are not supposed to notice but as i read the paper work the nurse sent with me to hand to the doctor i knew it was coming :p just to check you dont smell of drink, have slurred speech, or in the doctors opinion you look like an alcoholic !!! asked about my drinking habits, i told truth, 12-16 units a month as i go out fortnightly to play snooker with my father, i had 3 pints of normal lager on 23/05 and doctor told me as long as thats the truth i will be fine!!! the doctor then asked me too lay on the bed, bit of prodding to check liver, all fine for me then when i stood up asked me to reach for sky then touch toes, then closed eyes and when open stand on one foot then the other, for me all done with no problem... When finished doctor asked if i had any questions so i asked his opinion and he said he had no problem and as long as my bloods were ok i will get my licence back!!!!!! just a case of waiting now 3/4 weeks by all accounts, anyone know on this??? It has taken a rather large weight of my shoulders, not forgetting people that this is massive in some ppl's lives and it is for me, my family have suffered with not going out as much, no sea side trips ect..... cant wait for the return of my plastic !!! fingers crossed.... I have had no more than 12 pints in last 4 half months, what do ppl think my chances are???? again thanks for replys!!! BUFFALOBILL....
Not sure if your thread is still open bud , you say you passed the urine screen , they must then have changed this cause I've been told they send it off now???

BUFFALOBILL that’s good sounds promising your ??????? sounds very similar to mine the only extra thing the dvla did was to write to my GP just to check my medical history and make sure I have never abused drink or drugs all was fine for me and I have my license reissued a week after they contacted them! Best of luck!

Hi... any 1 been for a dvla medical does the dctor wait in the toilet for the urine sample or what's the drill can any 1 help

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off