DVLA Medical assistance - an unfortunate accident and hospital trip.

Convicted Driver Insurance

blueyonder76

Well Known Member
Hi there

I wonder if anyone could offer me some advice. I am intending to apply for my driving licence later this year. I am in the HRO category due to a ban in 2016 for the 2nd time in 10 years. I have abstained from drinking since April, and have joined various online support groups to stop drinking altogether. However last Thursday feeling depressed and down with lock down, employment worries and parental issues with my father in Spain (who is very ill) I drank far too much and had a fall. It ended up I had to go to A and E and my bloods were taken. The results however indicated I had been drinking heavily recently and I was advised to get my bloods taken again shortly. Yesterday a woman from the alcohol advice section of the hospital rang as I had been referred by the GP. Something I was not told. I had a long conversation with her and explained it was not usual behaviour and I wasn't alcohol dependent. She discussed whether the referral would go on my medical record which it wouldn't and unless I felt the need to go, to carry on with the support groups. Now I understand that if there is evidence of alcohol misuse within 6 months a HRO licence will not be granted. And if there is continued mis use you need 12 months proof of not drinking. I plan to apply for my licence in December but am concerned that the notes on my A and E record may go against me and mean it will be revoked. Is it worth me speaking to my Doctor about this.? Or will this mean I have to provide evidence further i.e further blood tests ? Also will I just get a 1 year licence. Many thanks. Blue Yonder

Speak to your doctor. Every single time I had ever attended A and E for alcohol related injuries appeared on my medical history. The referral to alcohol services may not show up on your record but the fall will show up along the lines of "patient presented after a fall, it was noted that patient was heavily intoxicated" and your blood results would also be a part of that report.

You also now have the issue of one of then questions on the HRO medical questionnaire. Question 5 states, "Within the last 6 years have you ever had an accident/injury, including a road traffic accident, as a result of your alcohol intake?" Your answer to this question is now yes after an A and E visit after a fall. I have a feeling your doctor is going to consider this at least alcohol misuse, as it does take the misuse of alcohol to end up in hospital from drinking. You will have to get follow up blood tests to show that you have returned to a normal level of drinking, if the DVLA deem you a misuser or dependant you will most likely only get a 1 year licence.

Last edited:
Oh right didn't realise that. So really my trip to A and E has been rather costly. ! I will look into regular blood tests and speak to my GP as to what is the best course of action. Many thanks

How long can you only get a year licence and does it affect employment ?

You can get a 1 year licence until 6 years have passed since your last recorded incident with alcohol. No, your insurance and employment can't descriminate against you for having a medical condition and holding a temp licence. I would see your GP as soon as possible to discuss your hospital visit and try and log it as a one off event and have an LFT test. Only have an LFT if you're certain it will come back within the normal range as having a bad LFT on your record will slow you down again.

Ok thanks Grice96. I am assuming that going to my Doctors will also show even if it was a one off incident at least I'm doing something about it. I guess I am just itching to get my licence back and some form of stable employment. I have seen other posts saying see there GP went against them. I think that was why I came on here to see others experiences. I guess you can always tell your employer you are happy for them to check you regularly also. At the moment with Covid its isn't such an issue but I would like to be able to do my career soon.

One further query about this. Does it have to be your Doctor that does your tests or could you use a company privately / online. I know its usual for people to use Medichecks before applying. Do the DVLA accept this and how long do you have to have your blood tests taken.

Thanks

DVLA will not accept Medichecks results because they do not have to be submitted with proof of identity - so anyone could have done the sample for you.

Dear price1367

I did wonder this. Although if go to a medical centre or a nurse comes out to take your blood surely they must ask for ID.?
Are there any companies the DVLA will accept ? Thanks

Also it was mentioned I should have a liver function test by the Doctor taking my bloods is this likely to be on my notes or is that just advice. I really don't want to be classed as a dependent but am thinking the more communication I have with my GP there shouldn't be too much of an issue. I have been to A and E over the last 6 years with a dislocated finger, stitches in my chin and a cut hand. None of these have been alcohol connected and where genuine sober incidents.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off