DVLA Medical and my timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hello all

Just thought I would update you all. I had my DVLA medical last week (25/02/16). I thought I would give it a few days before calling DVLA. I have spoken to them today.

They have received my medical and blood test results. (I did my own CDT test on 25/01/16 which came out 2% and didn't have a drink until my DVLA test so hopefully would be a bit lower.)

The DVLA have told me that they have sent my doctor a questionnaire in the post. Last time they did this with my medical letter it took two weeks to get there!!!

I therefore asked if they could fax it across which they said they would do today by 3pm at the latest. I have asked them to put it for the Practice Manager's attention as I know them and they will get the questionnaire to the doctor asap. My doctor isn't in until next Wednesday but hopefully he will fill out the questionnaire next Wednesday / Thursday and email / fax back to DVLA.

DVLA then said it takes 4 days to scan onto the system and then about a week for decision so hopefully I won't be waiting too long.

My ban finishes on 10/03/16 - 6 days!! I will probably have to ait a little longer, but what's a few more days in the last 18 months.

Trying not to worry, but got a lot riding on it - jobwise. Hopefully everything will turn out okay.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks

Hello all

Just thought I would update you all. I had my DVLA medical last week (25/02/16). I thought I would give it a few days before calling DVLA. I have spoken to them today.

They have received my medical and blood test results. (I did my own CDT test on 25/01/16 which came out 2% and didn't have a drink until my DVLA test so hopefully would be a bit lower.)

The DVLA have told me that they have sent my doctor a questionnaire in the post. Last time they did this with my medical letter it took two weeks to get there!!!

I therefore asked if they could fax it across which they said they would do today by 3pm at the latest. I have asked them to put it for the Practice Manager's attention as I know them and they will get the questionnaire to the doctor asap. My doctor isn't in until next Wednesday but hopefully he will fill out the questionnaire next Wednesday / Thursday and email / fax back to DVLA.

DVLA then said it takes 4 days to scan onto the system and then about a week for decision so hopefully I won't be waiting too long.

My ban finishes on 10/03/16 - 6 days!! I will probably have to ait a little longer, but what's a few more days in the last 18 months.

Trying not to worry, but got a lot riding on it - jobwise. Hopefully everything will turn out okay.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks

Hey - who did you get your private CDT through? I had one through Medichecks, but not 100% confident the results are correct! I want to get another in two weeks.

Haha thanks M. Felt like I have never stopped driving now. Got the company car at moment as had to work last night. The freedom feeling is unreal. Got another medical in a year so will stay on here. Plan to make sure I get my full license back next time. ��

Hi guys
I wonder if u can help me. I lost my license in 2008 and my ban finished in 2010. Due to finances I've only just sorted out my medical. Well I had my 1st medical on April 4th. I had stopped drinking as much at the beginning of the year. For 5 weeks didn't touch a drop but then had few blips, but stuck to 14 units a week. I thought it was over n done with, so have been drinking again. Now I've got a letter from dvla sayin the test wasn't carried out to their requirements and have to book another one. Why has this happened and if I stop now will I pass

Hi guys
I wonder if u can help me. I lost my license in 2008 and my ban finished in 2010. Due to finances I've only just sorted out my medical. Well I had my 1st medical on April 4th. I had stopped drinking as much at the beginning of the year. For 5 weeks didn't touch a drop but then had few blips, but stuck to 14 units a week. I thought it was over n done with, so have been drinking again. Now I've got a letter from dvla sayin the test wasn't carried out to their requirements and have to book another one. Why has this happened and if I stop now will I pass

Have you rung DVLA to find out what went wrong? Did the letter say you had 6 weeks to attend your medical again? If you're able to book your second medical for as much in advance as possible and abstain completely again, from now, you could be ok depending on how much you've been drinking since your previous medical. I'd want to know why there was a problem with the first one, if I were you. It might take a few phone calls to get an answer because some of the people who you may speak to at DVLA are more helpful than others.
In any event you need to give yourself as long as possible before your second medical and if you've returned to your former drinking habits then this is something you need to think about. Just abstaining for the medical is not really the way forward...Just saying.

Last edited:
Haven't rang dvla yet, and yes the letter says six weeks again. i haven't been hitting it that hard and I never drink wine or spirits. But have gone over the 14 unit a week guidelines.

Haven't rang dvla yet, and yes the letter says six weeks again. i haven't been hitting it that hard and I never drink wine or spirits. But have gone over the 14 unit a week guidelines.

So depending on the date on the letter from DVLA, you've got possibly 4/5 weeks to undergo the medical again (?). If you stop now, you could well be okay. I had 23 days abstinence before my medical and achieved a CDT reading if 1.0% but obviously I don't know what you have been consuming compared to my previous drinking habits or our comparative physiologies!! Let us now what DVLA say about the circumstances surrounding the first medical.

Rang dvla they just said blood wasn't done to their requirements. Wasn't helpful at all.

Yes, I'm afraid it's a bit of a lottery with who you speak to at DVLA. I'm assuming that you do not have to pay for your second medical. After all, you turned up and offered blood, not your fault procedures weren't adhered to. If they say you have to pay again, then I would be a little more forthright on the phone with them.
Book your new medical for as much in advance as possible and stop drinking completely right away and you could be fine.

No I don't have to pay for it. So maybe it is just a genuine mistake. I've been on Google all day. I've been drinking warm water with lemon all day, and marmite in hot water as it contains vitamin b3. I hope it works. Not rang doctors yet gonna leave that till Tuesday. Will keep u posted

No I don't have to pay for it. So maybe it is just a genuine mistake. I've been on Google all day. I've been drinking warm water with lemon all day, and marmite in hot water as it contains vitamin b3. I hope it works. Not rang doctors yet gonna leave that till Tuesday. Will keep u posted

That's good then and yes, as I keep saying, mistakes do happen.

I would suggest that you call the surgery as soon as possible, tomorrow preferably. You have just under 5 weeks to attend but by the time Tuesday comes around, it'll be four weeks. You want to try and get the "pick" of the available appointments. You'd kick yourself if you could only get an appointment in two weeks time because someone else managed to nab the only available appointment in four weeks time because they called the surgery tomorrow, while you left it till next week...

I drank hot lemon and ginger water, I've kept it up actually but I would suggest you not drink it all day. A cup first thing when you get up and then plain water all day. You will end up with heartburn and the acid can be damaging to your teeth if you keep it up all day long. I also took milk thistle, turmeric and artichoke extracts, amongst many other strategies. I have no idea if any of my measures helped massively but it certainly didn't hurt.
Unlike Marmite, which is the Devil's food if you ask me!! :D

Let us know what happens

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off