DVLA Medical and my timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Wow fantastic result. Cant believe how slow time is dragging. 8 weeks to go and hopefully the same for me ��

Hi all
I'm new to this site and I'm so glad I've found it!!
I was banned for Drink Driving in July 2014. My ban us due to end on the 10th March 2016 so I am in the process of getting HRO medical done. I've got myself into a bit of a worried state about the CDT test. My reading was 91 so that put me in the HRO category.
I go out every Saturday for a night out - the last one being last Saturday 16th January. I have probably about 8-10 bottle of Budweiser. I don't drink at any other time and never have drink in the house anyway as I am just a social drinker really.
My DVLA medical is on the 8th February so that would be 21 days (3 weeks) from my last drink. I'm so worried as I have been looking forward to getting back behind the wheel, planning the future (in terms of new job etc.) as I've felt a bit in limbo whilst banned.
I wondered if anyone can advise me or reassure me whether the 21 days is sufficient to get a lower than 2.2% score.
I'm actually thinking of getting my own GP to do the test in the next week or so but worried that if it's over 2.2% then I will just be more worried that I will fail the test.
I'm probably like so many people on here that I just want my life and independence back. I lost so much over the time I have been banned I could just do with an upturn in fortunes.
Any advice / comments would be really welcome
Thanks

Hi all
I'm new to this site and I'm so glad I've found it!!
I was banned for Drink Driving in July 2014. My ban us due to end on the 10th March 2016 so I am in the process of getting HRO medical done. I've got myself into a bit of a worried state about the CDT test. My reading was 91 so that put me in the HRO category.
I go out every Saturday for a night out - the last one being last Saturday 16th January. I have probably about 8-10 bottle of Budweiser. I don't drink at any other time and never have drink in the house anyway as I am just a social drinker really.
My DVLA medical is on the 8th February so that would be 21 days (3 weeks) from my last drink. I'm so worried as I have been looking forward to getting back behind the wheel, planning the future (in terms of new job etc.) as I've felt a bit in limbo whilst banned.
I wondered if anyone can advise me or reassure me whether the 21 days is sufficient to get a lower than 2.2% score.
I'm actually thinking of getting my own GP to do the test in the next week or so but worried that if it's over 2.2% then I will just be more worried that I will fail the test.
I'm probably like so many people on here that I just want my life and independence back. I lost so much over the time I have been banned I could just do with an upturn in fortunes.
Any advice / comments would be really welcome
Thanks
The short is no. 21 days is not enough. Not with the volume that you have described. How much did you drink over Christmas? The amount that you consumed over Christmas and throughout December was probably higher than what you have described, and you have to factor that in.

Someone on this post passed after abstaining for only four weeks, but their drink pattern was far less. They only consumed moderate amounts of alcohol every two weeks. I would also add that it is dangerous to look at other peoples period of abstinence as a guide. You need to go with the many medical recommendations that are well documented by the DVLA and various websites. Those guidelines are 12 weeks of abstinence from alcohol.

You could get an independent CDT test, but it is debatable whether your GP will do it for free. The private cost is around £150.00 plus VAT.

You have two choices; you either cancel the medical and wait until 12 weeks have passed from your last drink, or you take a huge risk and go ahead as scheduled with the DVLA medical. I would not take that risk without the prior knowledge of a private CDT test. If you pass a private test first (or your reading is under 2.2) then you have that assurance. However time is not on your side. I'm not sure if you could undergo a private test and be in receipt of the results before the 8th of February.

What date did your 90 day application period start on? It is possible that you could put back your DVLA medical and give yourself more time, and still be within the six week window for completion.

M

Hi M
I got the letter from the DVLA to apply for my medical dated the 5th January 2016. So I presume it is 6 weeks from the date of that letter? Does that mean I would be able to delay the test or apply again to the DVLA?

Do a lot of people fail this test?

To be honest I can't recall exactly the amounts I drank over Xmas although I did go out probably more than usual due to the time of year.

How come the DVLA don't mention this on there website? I couldn't find anything on there. I would think there are quite a few people that drink within 3 weeks and do the test and pass?

I presume their drink history would be less than mine.

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated.

Hi M
I got the letter from the DVLA to apply for my medical dated the 5th January 2016. So I presume it is 6 weeks from the date of that letter? Does that mean I would be able to delay the test or apply again to the DVLA?

To be honest I can't recall exactly the amounts I drank over Xmas although I did go out probably more than usual due to the time of year.

How come the DVLA don't mention this on there website? I couldn't find anything on there. I would think there are quite a few people that drink within 3 weeks and do the test and pass?

You are not going to be able to move the medical back far enough, based on the dates that you have given. If you allow an extra two days of service (postal time) from the 5th, then your six week time limit would start from January 8th. That means you would need to complete the medical on or before the 18th of February. That is only eleven days after the date on which your original medical has been scheduled for. That is not sufficient in my opinion. It wouldn't make much difference. You don't want to deal in chance with this medical. You need to be sure.

The drink drive awareness course instructors advise on 12 weeks abstinence, as will your GP. The DVLA have also made it clear through the minutes/notes released from their medical board review meetings that 12 weeks is the recommended timescale. I will try to find the link to the PDF, and post it here. If you phone the DVLA they will tell you the same thing, although if you get a moody "advisor" they might not tell you anything.

People do fail this test. It is not just isolated cases who fail. The DVLA do ambush HRO's with the six week notice period. Often that is the first some people have ever heard of the HRO scheme, and medical requirement. Most HRO's they become aware during the Drink Drive Awareness course, as it is covered during the three days.

My advice would be to contact the DVLA first thing and explain that the scheduled date and six week cut off is going to be a problem. Cite work commitments as the cause. Ask them what your options are, and ask them if it is possible to re schedule for the first week in March, as an example.

You don't have to take the test now, or on the date scheduled, but not doing so can prolong your license from being returned. If you fail the medical you will be excluded from taking the test for another six months as a minimum period for alcohol misuse. (12 months for alcohol dependency) When you do finally retake the test, if you pass, you will usually only be given a three or one year licence as opposed to a ten year version, with a requirement to take the medical again at the end of either period.

You don't want to risk the medical with only 21 days or a month of abstinence. Especially just after Christmas. Phone your GP and they will tell you the same thing. What's eight more weeks at this stage?

M

Well medical done now just waiting. Filled out two questionnaires checked my stomach and heart. No urine no eye sight. Blood taken. Doctor says I should be fine. Phoning next Thursday and see where I am update.

Hi M

The last time I spoke to DVLA, they said the pass rate for the HRO medical was 85%.
There is nothing on the DVLA website about abstaining, but would you really expect then to publish a section on "how to make sure you pass the HRO medical"?

The last time I spoke to DVLA, they said the pass rate for the HRO medical was 85%.
There is nothing on the DVLA website about abstaining, but would you really expect then to publish a section on "how to make sure you pass the HRO medical"?

According to source around 50 thousand drivers are banned each year for drink related offences, with around 22 thousand of those falling into the high risk offender category. So based on the 85% pass rate that leaves 3,300 people per year who fail the medical on average. That is 275 fails per month or 9.041 fails per day over 365 days.

Nine people per day is no small beer. Better to be safe than sorry.

If you research the half life of Transferrin you will read that it is approximately three weeks, which means that it takes at least six weeks for CDT levels to begin to fall. You will only be at 21 days, and your levels could be high due to Christmas drinking.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-thousands-high-risk-drink-drivers-road.html

M

Hi all
Just thought I would let you know that I managed to book a private CDT blood test and had the blood taken this morning.
I spoke to the hospital and they advised it takes up to 2 weeks to get the results.
My medical is on the 8th February and I thought my cut off date was the 16th February so cutting it fine to get my private test result in before I take the DVLA one.
I have called the doctor this morning where I am due to have my DVLA medical on the 8th February and they have advised me that my medical cut off date is not until 26th February. Therefore I have said to them that due to work commitments I need to change the date and have moved the appointment to 25th February. That means I should get my private CDT test result back and also it gives me another 2-3 weeks abstinence so hopefully I will either have the assurance of my private test result or a more lengthy period of abstinence.
My licence renewal date is 10th March so, God willing, things may fall okay.
Just have to wait for the private CDT test result now go from there.
Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Well will admit I have rung dvla every day since Tuesday. They received blood results on Tuesday but not paperwork. Doctors said they faxed Monday. Dvla said it can take 4 days to scan a fax on the system! Today everything on system. Being passed to medical advisor today. Ringing back tomorrow.

Rang dvla yesterday morning. They have sent an alcohol questionnaire to my doctor in the post already which I expected. To speed up the process they told me to ask my doctors to fax back. Ringing doctors on Monday to ask them on Monday. Still could not get the results on the phone. Can anyone confirm if my bloods were a straight fail would they have even written to my doctor?

Rang dvla yesterday morning. They have sent an alcohol questionnaire to my doctor in the post already which I expected. To speed up the process they told me to ask my doctors to fax back. Ringing doctors on Monday to ask them on Monday. Still could not get the results on the phone. Can anyone confirm if my bloods were a straight fail would they have even written to my doctor?

You won't have failed the CDT test jojo; not with three months off alcohol.

They were always going to write to your GP, and they rarely if ever give out results over the phone.

I know this easier said than done, but try to relax and not think about it too much. You will be fine.

Your GP's approval will just be the finishing touch, and then you will be free and clear.

Try to enjoy the rest of your weekend.

M

Thanks M for your message. Just itching to get a car and my freedom. Always that little niggle of doubt.

Rang my doctors yesterday and they already had the form so this is all moving pretty quick. However my doctor not in until Thursday so requested it be left for her to complete as she knows me. Requested it be faxed back. Hoping maybe next Friday I might have an answer. Did receive letter in post from dvla yesterday advising what is happening and could take up to four weeks. I really hope it doesn't.

Hi all
Just thought I would let you know that I managed to book a private CDT blood test and had the blood taken this morning.
I spoke to the hospital and they advised it takes up to 2 weeks to get the results.
My medical is on the 8th February and I thought my cut off date was the 16th February so cutting it fine to get my private test result in before I take the DVLA one.
I have called the doctor this morning where I am due to have my DVLA medical on the 8th February and they have advised me that my medical cut off date is not until 26th February. Therefore I have said to them that due to work commitments I need to change the date and have moved the appointment to 25th February. That means I should get my private CDT test result back and also it gives me another 2-3 weeks abstinence so hopefully I will either have the assurance of my private test result or a more lengthy period of abstinence.
My licence renewal date is 10th March so, God willing, things may fall okay.
Just have to wait for the private CDT test result now go from there.
Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Hello all,

Got my private test results back today. CDT reading is 2% which I'm happy with. My medical is in a couple of weeks so hopefully will be even lower when I take it. Hopefully now I can approach the DVLA medical with a little less stress.

Hello all,

Got my private test results back today. CDT reading is 2% which I'm happy with. My medical is in a couple of weeks so hopefully will be even lower when I take it. Hopefully now I can approach the DVLA medical with a little less stress.

So to summarise:

Your drinking pattern was 8/10 bottles of Budweiser every Saturday night. Nothing else in between or after. You had been out over Xmas and had a bit more than usual, as people do.

Your last drink was Saturday 16/01/16
Your private CDT test was 25/01/16
You abstained for 9 days between those dates
Your CDT results were delivered on 03/02/16
Your score was 2.0%. The DVLA cut off is 2.2% so you are now in the green pass zone. Well done.

I've highlighted this for future reference for other members. I don't consider 8 to 10 bottles of premium lager every Saturday to be a large amount. I would say it was moderate at the most; and yet it ran you close to being over 2.2.

People can take a snapshot of this and work it out for themselves. 9 days of abstinence isn't very much; but people have different levels of CDT sensitivity. The important thing to remember here is that if you take 7 days off that period of abstinence you would probably have failed the CDT test; with only a moderate drinking pattern previously.

Any HRO's approaching their 90 day end zone can look at this and take the optimistic view; or they can take the view that it actually doesn't take that much alcohol to potentially cause you a problem in relation to your CDT levels. It certainly helps to debunk the controversial suggestion that you need to be drinking five drinks per day over ten days for your CDT level to stand a chance of being over 2.2. Clearly you don't.

Good luck with the DVLA medical. You're more or less home and dry now. Well earned, and soon to be stress free. Well, one less thing to stress about at least.

Regards
M

Well doctor filled out questionnaire yesterday and faxed back. On dvla system today! Been told it can take eight weeks for a response! Ban ends in 5! They asked if job depended on it er yes. Marked as high priority. Will be ringing every day now. Fingers crossed.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off