DVLA Medical and my timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance

jojo19

Hi

I was convicted on the 1/9/14 for 2 years with the reduction to 18 months from the drink drive course. I have posted a couple of times already on here. From approximately 2012 I abused alcohol for a couple of years on and off and ended up in rehab as my family thought I needed it. Looking back I feel pretty stupid as I did not need it. Rehab was good but after coming out in Feb 2014 I didnt like the idea I could never drink so ended up drinking in secret thus the drink drive happened in August 2014. I then asked my doctor for help as I scared myself. Came off antidepressants and went on a stress management course and over time controlled my own drinking to enjoy it as it should be and not blotto. Over probation and the course I must of totalled up a massive 34 hours of alcohol awareness. Leading up to applying to my license I have read this forum and studied the medical. Because of the questionnaire and rehab I stopped drinking 30/9/2015 to ensure I have the best possible chance as need my license back badly for work. I spoke to my doctor as she will be contacted about my declaring rehab and asking for help. She was extremely positive and put me completely at ease. Told me not worry and to book a double appointment once I have booked my medical so she can go through the questionnaire with me.

Anyway, ban due to finish 16/3/2016. I worked out I could apply from the 19/12. Rang DVLA. Firstly to check if my license would automatically be refused due to rehab and any mention of dependence and they said no as out of the time range and would be down to the medical and my gp. They had received my certificate reduction and had a note on the system to send my my form on the 12/12. I sent off for the form myself and posted today. Little bit apprehensive as you have to declare on the application have I ever or currently suffer from persistent alcohol misuse/dependence. I chose to put no and hope this was correct.

Anyway, I will ring DVLA on Friday to check they have received my application and will post on here with updates.

Quick update. Impatient so rang today and application received and scanned onto their system. Currently working on week old apps so should receive medical letter next week. Will ring next Wednesday and will update.

Hi

I was convicted on the 1/9/14 for 2 years with the reduction to 18 months from the drink drive course. I have posted a couple of times already on here. From approximately 2012 I abused alcohol for a couple of years on and off and ended up in rehab as my family thought I needed it. Looking back I feel pretty stupid as I did not need it. Rehab was good but after coming out in Feb 2014 I didnt like the idea I could never drink so ended up drinking in secret thus the drink drive happened in August 2014. I then asked my doctor for help as I scared myself. Came off antidepressants and went on a stress management course and over time controlled my own drinking to enjoy it as it should be and not blotto. Over probation and the course I must of totalled up a massive 34 hours of alcohol awareness. Leading up to applying to my license I have read this forum and studied the medical. Because of the questionnaire and rehab I stopped drinking 30/9/2015 to ensure I have the best possible chance as need my license back badly for work. I spoke to my doctor as she will be contacted about my declaring rehab and asking for help. She was extremely positive and put me completely at ease. Told me not worry and to book a double appointment once I have booked my medical so she can go through the questionnaire with me.

Anyway, ban due to finish 16/3/2016. I worked out I could apply from the 19/12. Rang DVLA. Firstly to check if my license would automatically be refused due to rehab and any mention of dependence and they said no as out of the time range and would be down to the medical and my gp. They had received my certificate reduction and had a note on the system to send my my form on the 12/12. I sent off for the form myself and posted today. Little bit apprehensive as you have to declare on the application have I ever or currently suffer from persistent alcohol misuse/dependence. I chose to put no and hope this was correct.

Anyway, I will ring DVLA on Friday to check they have received my application and will post on here with updates.

You probably should have answered "yes" to the alcohol misuse question on the D1 application form, because you have been involved in an alcohol management programme.

However one missed question on the D1 wont be an issue. You must be accurate on the medical questionnaire that you will undertake during the actual medical. Conflicting information with your medical records can cause problems. Especially were the DVLA consider it to be a deliberate attempt to deceive.

Good luck with your medical.

M

Thank you for your reply and that is what I thought even though the rehab was nothing to do with my GP. There is not a mention on any other threads about that question on the application. I fully intend to answer my medical honestly with the assistance of my own gp before I attend my medical.

Well have ringing almost daily my medical details have been sent out on Thursday. Got my own doctors 7th Jan and will hopefully then book my medical. Three months of no alcohol so hoping everything will go good. Will update after my own docs.

Well medical letter from dvla turned up weds so did not take that long. Saw my own doctor yesterday and did not put me at ease like I thought it would. Seeing my medical records from a year and a half ago made me feel awful reminding me what I did and what I went through. Took a copy of the questionnaire from the internet to make sure I get all my facts straight when I take my medical. My doctor told me dvla don't ask their opinion but send them a form they tick boxes on own. Because of the shock of seeing my notes forgot to ask if she thought my notes should misuse or dependence and also if she felt I should take the medical. Now have today and ask on phone. Rang medical doctor yesterday but not got my details yet so have to ring Monday. However they did say I could get an appointment on the 14/1 so not too long a wait. Will keep updating. Not sure I can do much else towards getting my license back health wise so if I fail I have no idea what to do next.

Well medical booked for the 21st got to take 98.50 in cash. Spoke to my own doctor again who said dvla have never asked their opinion just dates and tick boxes. However she said she would support my application and that I misused and was not dependant. Will update after my medical next thursday

Hi I have just come across this thread and wondered if anyone can shed any light for me. I was convicted of failing to provide a specimen without reasonable excuse in Oct-14 My court date was set for Jan-15 and I was sentenced to 12 months ban and a fine.
My story was I had been out on a date went for a meal, couple of pints, small glass of wine, then onto the pub. The first pub another 2 pints, second pub a further 2 pints than back to the dates house for 3 hours no more drink couple of coffees then left. I had left my phone in the car and went to retrieve it and made the most stupid decision of my life by attempting to drive home. I was stopped by the police and just panicked, what about my job? what will I tell my boss? how will I get to my work as I stay in a rural location? I have regular contact to my child how will I manage to collect her back and forward etc. I really panicked and stupidly failed to provide a specimen at the roadside and the station.

However that was what happened and this put me into the HRO category of offender with medical etc. I have had the medical on the 30th Nov-15 and prior to this had abstained from drinking for 4 weeks. I completed the questionnaire honestly as they ask about your drinking habits, which I drink every fortnight as I have my child for the alternate weekend and don't drink when I have her. How much do you drink they ask? the nurse says on a typical night out what do you drink 2 pints? Eh!!! no:confused: probably about between 5-10 pints which equates to 10 to 20 units of alcohol which technically classifies me as a binge drinker. I received a letter from the DVLA telling me they have received the results and have written to my GP for further information. I have requested my CDT results and have still not had them as yet so don't know what my % is they will not pass them over the phone. I have spoken to my GP and they sent her a questionnaire telling her i showed signs of persistent alcohol abuse I presume because of the 5-10 pint a fortnight. My GP told me that she basically answered no to all the questions. So my ban is due to finish on the 20th Jan and I still have not had my licence back and the original letter indicated that the assessment could take sometime potentially 90 days. Has anyone experienced this issue and how long did it actually take to get your licence back? AS a final point due to staying rural I cycle to work for a 6 am start approx 70 miles a week I have nearly clocked 2500miles and never had a day off in the last year other than holidays Not really the behavior of someone who persistently abuses alcohol. I am not a bad person, I just made a really bad decision I just thank god that I never hit anyone or anything as I would never have forgiven myself. This has been a horrendous experience and one I will never repeat, which I am sure most of the users who post here think exactly the same. I have been monitoring the site for the last couple of months and it really helps reading about others experiences as we are all going through a similar issue.

Hi I have just come across this thread and wondered if anyone can shed any light for me. I was convicted of failing to provide a specimen without reasonable excuse in Oct-14 My court date was set for Jan-15 and I was sentenced to 12 months ban and a fine.
My story was I had been out on a date went for a meal, couple of pints, small glass of wine, then onto the pub. The first pub another 2 pints, second pub a further 2 pints than back to the dates house for 3 hours no more drink couple of coffees then left. I had left my phone in the car and went to retrieve it and made the most stupid decision of my life by attempting to drive home. I was stopped by the police and just panicked, what about my job? what will I tell my boss? how will I get to my work as I stay in a rural location? I have regular contact to my child how will I manage to collect her back and forward etc. I really panicked and stupidly failed to provide a specimen at the roadside and the station.

However that was what happened and this put me into the HRO category of offender with medical etc. I have had the medical on the 30th Nov-15 and prior to this had abstained from drinking for 4 weeks. I completed the questionnaire honestly as they ask about your drinking habits, which I drink every fortnight as I have my child for the alternate weekend and don't drink when I have her. How much do you drink they ask? the nurse says on a typical night out what do you drink 2 pints? Eh!!! no:confused: probably about between 5-10 pints which equates to 10 to 20 units of alcohol which technically classifies me as a binge drinker. I received a letter from the DVLA telling me they have received the results and have written to my GP for further information. I have requested my CDT results and have still not had them as yet so don't know what my % is they will not pass them over the phone. I have spoken to my GP and they sent her a questionnaire telling her i showed signs of persistent alcohol abuse I presume because of the 5-10 pint a fortnight. My GP told me that she basically answered no to all the questions. So my ban is due to finish on the 20th Jan and I still have not had my licence back and the original letter indicated that the assessment could take sometime potentially 90 days. Has anyone experienced this issue and how long did it actually take to get your licence back? AS a final point due to staying rural I cycle to work for a 6 am start approx 70 miles a week I have nearly clocked 2500miles and never had a day off in the last year other than holidays Not really the behavior of someone who persistently abuses alcohol. I am not a bad person, I just made a really bad decision I just thank god that I never hit anyone or anything as I would never have forgiven myself. This has been a horrendous experience and one I will never repeat, which I am sure most of the users who post here think exactly the same. I have been monitoring the site for the last couple of months and it really helps reading about others experiences as we are all going through a similar issue.

It sounds like your CDT level is between 2.2 and 2.9. If so you are in the Amber zone, which is not the best place to be. But better than the Red zone, which is an automatic fail and comes with a 12 month exclusion period.

Four weeks abstinence is not really enough. To be safe, you need between 8 to 12 weeks of complete abstinence. This is the time it takes for your CDT levels to return to normal from the time of your last drink.

If the DVLA are stating in a letter to your GP that you are showing signs of persistent alcohol misuse, then I am fairly sure that it is due to your CDT score, and not you questionnaire answers. You haven't declared excessive amounts in 20 units per week.

The problem with the CDT test is that a none drinker, can in theory go out drinking over a two week period - not every night, but randomly. And then potentially read over 3.0 on their CDT level if they take the test within eight weeks of their last drink. Which in the eyes of the DVLA and the medical profession, is indicative of alcohol misuse or dependency. This would cause said none drinker to fail the medical.

From a medical perspective anything over three units per day for a male is considered to be high. Its doesn't mean you are an alcoholic or that you have a serious problem, or even that your fitness is in question. In order for a person to read 3.0 on their CDT level, they only need to have a holiday and drink, or say a two week drinking pattern, and they could fail the medical. It happens.

Did you drink a lot prior to your four week abstinence? Roughly how much did you have over the previous two weeks leading up to that cut off point?

M

Hi

Sorry not taken mine medical yet it next week. I completely stopped end of September due to heavy drinking and my drinking past. This website has guided me over the past 18 months and I am so glad I found it. They recommend drinking moderately in the months leading up to the medical and not to binge to obtain a cdt level for passing. My CDT level I would hope would be hardly anything as not drunk in 3 months but my history will be my stumbling block thus meaning I may only get a years license. Based on the dvla guidelines and your doctors report I will keep my fingers crossed you get your license albeit a temporary one. Good luck

Well medical booked for the 21st got to take 98.50 in cash. Spoke to my own doctor again who said dvla have never asked their opinion just dates and tick boxes. However she said she would support my application and that I misused and was not dependant. Will update after my medical next thursday

£98.50? Wow. You'd think they would drop the 50p. I guess not.

Hey well good luck on the 21st. Last hurdle and all that.

One step away from freedom jojo.

Regards
M

Thank you and i hope I pass. I need a license to do my job and currently have to rely on husband public transport and lifts everywhere. I cant do anymore than I have towards getting my license back so fingers crossed.

It sounds like your CDT level is between 2.2 and 2.9. If so you are in the Amber zone, which is not the best place to be. But better than the Red zone, which is an automatic fail and comes with a 12 month exclusion period.

Four weeks abstinence is not really enough. To be safe, you need between 8 to 12 weeks of complete abstinence. This is the time it takes for your CDT levels to return to normal from the time of your last drink.

If the DVLA are stating in a letter to your GP that you are showing signs of persistent alcohol misuse, then I am fairly sure that it is due to your CDT score, and not you questionnaire answers. You haven't declared excessive amounts in 20 units per week.

The problem with the CDT test is that a none drinker, can in theory go out drinking over a two week period - not every night, but randomly. And then potentially read over 3.0 on their CDT level if they take the test within eight weeks of their last drink. Which in the eyes of the DVLA and the medical profession, is indicative of alcohol misuse or dependency. This would cause said none drinker to fail the medical.

From a medical perspective anything over three units per day for a male is considered to be high. Its doesn't mean you are an alcoholic or that you have a serious problem, or even that your fitness is in question. In order for a person to read 3.0 on their CDT level, they only need to have a holiday and drink, or say a two week drinking pattern, and they could fail the medical. It happens.

Did you drink a lot prior to your four week abstinence? Roughly how much did you have over the previous two weeks leading up to that cut off point?

Hi Mclanelli,
Thanks for your prompt response, You asked what my prior drink was up to the 4 week abstinence it was a fortnight before that and then a fortnight before that possibly a half to bottle of wine on a Friday night sometimes nothing but usual a few pints on the Saturday probably 6-8 pints. I have read other posts on here when the doctor has been contacted even though the CDT level has been well below 2.2%. I have attached a link to a paper which may be worth a read regarding CDT levels have a read and let me know what you think? http://www.viapath.co.uk/sites/default/files/upload/BloodSciences/cdt report2.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mclanelli,
Thanks for your prompt response, You asked what my prior drink was up to the 4 week abstinence it was a fortnight before that and then a fortnight before that possibly a half to bottle of wine on a Friday night sometimes nothing but usual a few pints on the Saturday probably 6-8 pints. I have read other posts on here when the doctor has been contacted even though the CDT level has been well below 2.2%. I have attached a link to a paper which may be worth a read regarding CDT levels have a read and let me know what you think? http://www.viapath.co.uk/sites/default/files/upload/BloodSciences/cdt report2.pdf

Yeah, I have seen that document before. Its interesting how all explanations of CDT testing slightly differ.

What you have described in units, should not give you a problem with your CDT. And you are right, people score under 2.2 and have their GP contacted regardless. I guess that is down to the information declared on the medical questionnaire.

With regards to the DVLA not giving you your CDT % I have read of similar instances of people experiencing that on this site, but I cant find the links now. I remember one person phoning the DVLA everyday and really getting on their case about the CDT score, after the DVLA had given them the same excuse as they seem to have given you. In the end they got the score over the phone. It might be worth phoning them again and maybe telling them that you need the results for your job, and that your employer is asking about them. That might put some pressure on them to release the information, because they have the results, so they should make them available.

Like I said in my earlier reply, four weeks is tight from an abstinence point of view. That's really the minimum you can give. But the units you consumed prior, shouldn't have really raised your CDT levels as you were only drinking every 14 days or so. In fact the CDT test isn't great at picking up binge drinking. That's considered to be a weak point of this testing procedure. Your CDT only elevates when the drinking is prolonged and daily.

If Price is about from TTC maybe he/she could share a view on this? If they are about?

M

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys just a quick update my licence has arrived today when I got in from work, yahoo:cool: a normal 10 year one too. Totally over the moon back on the road on Wednesday, just away to start shopping for insurance, yikes! However I am hoping that having full no claims protected might lower the premium a bit fingers crossed. I still have not had the CDT test results back yet, so phoned the DVLA and they have been posted today, I would still like to know what they were regardless of getting my licence back. I will keep you updated with result. Never again boys it just ain't worth it can't wait to collect my wee girl for tea next Thursday night take her home again without relying on a lift. Happy days.:rolleyes:

Hi Guys just a quick update my licence has arrived today when I got in from work, yahoo:cool: a normal 10 year one too. Totally over the moon back on the road on Wednesday, just away to start shopping for insurance, yikes! However I am hoping that having full no claims protected might lower the premium a bit fingers crossed. I still have not had the CDT test results back yet, so phoned the DVLA and they have been posted today, I would still like to know what they were regardless of getting my licence back. I will keep you updated with result. Never again boys it just ain't worth it can't wait to collect my wee girl for tea next Thursday night take her home again without relying on a lift. Happy days.:rolleyes:

Haha, Well it just goes to show that trying to second guess anything that the DVLA are doing is completely pointless.

Well good luck mate.

Congratulations on getting back your licence.

M

Cheers M,
I just got an unbelievable insurance quote too over the moon:D car Insurance done, road tax too get next then Wednesday the bike stays in the garage can't wait. Thanks for you advice M. I will still post when my CDT results arrive as I am really keen to see what they were. Cheers :cool:

Congrats on getting yr license back! I hope I can be posting the same news in a month or so ��

How do folks just wanted to provide an update as promised RE: My results, I received the detail back today and my CDT test was 0.8% and they still contacted my GP for further information:confused: But any how ban ends Midnight tomorrow car all ready to go day off work Wednesday to go for a long drive Lol. Good luck JoJo I am sure you will be fine. Thanks for listening and you too M. :cool:

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off