DVLA medical, alcohol dependant

Convicted Driver Insurance

Recovered22

Established Member
Hello everyone, new to the forum here. My ban is up on May the 14th this year, a 12 month ban reduced to 9 months upon completion of the DD awareness course. Need some advice from those who have been around the bend with the DVLA, DVA for me as I'm from in NI. I was diagnosed alcohol dependant last July, I have been alcohol free since the 28th of July 2018 spending 3 months in residential rehab to get myself back on the straight and narrow. By the time I can apply for my licence again I'll be 10 months sober all being well so by the time I get my medical I'll more than likely be 11 months sober or closer to a year. I attend my GP every 6 weeks just for a check in to make sure I'm doing alright and I attend weekly aftercare at the rehab center that I was a resident in. My big question really is will my regular doctor's visits and a letter from the rehab center I was in be enough for the DVLA when I'm completing my medical, has anyone else ever been in a similar situation? Thanks in advance for any help

When did your residential rehab finish? I fear You will not be able to get your licence back until at least a year has elapsed since you finished rehab, rather than when you started it.
The guidance is also that you will not get your licence back for AT LEAST a year after being alcohol dependent, so both these issues will seem to rule out an application in May this year.

I see a lot on this forum that you can apply 8 weeks before your one year or sobriety is up, 8 weeks before my one year is up is the last week of may so it isn't too far off the date I can apply again (14/05/19). The rehab program I completed was private so will not be on my NHS records, spent from 7/08/18 until 02/11/18 but again this was private and will not be reflected on my GP's notes. The last time my doctor seen me in regards to an alcohol problem was the 27/07/2018, been sober since the 28/07/2018, 8 weeks off one year sober will be the 28/05/19 which is a fortnight after my disqualification ends.

If you want to lie on your application then that is up to you, and you take the consequences if you are found out by DVA. The questions you are asked do not only relate to your NHS records.
In any case, the ability to apply 8 weeks early does not mean that the licence will be granted 8 weeks early, because the process can take 8 weeks or more for a decision to be made. If they look at making a decision at a point when you have not beeen free from alcohol dependence or rehab for 12 months then they are likely to say no, so even with covering up the rehab you would not be eligible t9 get your licence before the end of July.

Last edited:
I don't want to lie on my application, I wasn't aware that the questions asked would cover things not reflected in your medical history. So you think that it would be best leaving my application until November, one year after leaving the rehab programme I was on?

This is from a medical questionnaire that DVLA use to assess fitness to drive:

the past 12 months, have you required treatment for;
a) Alcohol dependence? Yes
b) Drug dependence? Yes
c) Have you had supervised detoxification? Yes
No

How would you answer that?

Reason for taking

Yes to A)
No to B)
No to C)

Alcohol dependant as said diagnoses last July, (misuse in my opinion I was a binge drinker but doctor put dependence). No to drug dependence I'm not a drug user and no to supervised detoxification, I was already 2 weeks sober before doing a programme. I went to rehab to learn to live without alcohol, I've never had withdrawal or the DT's. My doctor prescribed librium for coming off drink but it wasn't needed. Thanks for the advice

Hello everyone, new to the forum here. My ban is up on May the 14th this year, a 12 month ban reduced to 9 months upon completion of the DD awareness course. Need some advice from those who have been around the bend with the DVLA, DVA for me as I'm from in NI. I was diagnosed alcohol dependant last July, I have been alcohol free since the 28th of July 2018 spending 3 months in residential rehab to get myself back on the straight and narrow. By the time I can apply for my licence again I'll be 10 months sober all being well so by the time I get my medical I'll more than likely be 11 months sober or closer to a year. I attend my GP every 6 weeks just for a check in to make sure I'm doing alright and I attend weekly aftercare at the rehab center that I was a resident in. My big question really is will my regular doctor's visits and a letter from the rehab center I was in be enough for the DVLA when I'm completing my medical, has anyone else ever been in a similar situation? Thanks in advance for any help
Hi this is what happened to me:

I am classed High Risk 3 year ban.

I did 2 week detox december 2017, applied for license early dec 2018 knowing it would take a while..... it actually took over 14 weeks, being delayed by the fact i take anti-depressents, they decided to enquire about anti depressents at week 11 even though it was stated on the first forms submitted. DVLA dont seem to answer to anyone about the time they take, you did wrong so they can take as long as they please.. end of. I made an official complaint about the time it took and said how in effecient they are... and suprise suprise they only issued the license for a year!!! so top tip dont complain. I will appeal this but dont expect to get anywhere

Hi this is what happened to me:

I am classed High Risk 3 year ban.

I did 2 week detox december 2017, applied for license early dec 2018 knowing it would take a while..... it actually took over 14 weeks, being delayed by the fact i take anti-depressents, they decided to enquire about anti depressents at week 11 even though it was stated on the first forms submitted. DVLA dont seem to answer to anyone about the time they take, you did wrong so they can take as long as they please.. end of. I made an official complaint about the time it took and said how in effecient they are... and suprise suprise they only issued the license for a year!!! so top tip dont complain. I will appeal this but dont expect to get anywhere

Hi Max, as far as I know everyone (or from what i have read on this forum) who has had dependence in the last 3 years only gets issued with a 1 year licence. 14 weeks is a shocking amount of time, the usual time frame is around 8 weeks. I don't think the DVLA have punished you for putting a complaint in, anyone who has had dependence on their medical history in the last 3 years will only get a 1 year licence.

Hi Max, as far as I know everyone (or from what i have read on this forum) who has had dependence in the last 3 years only gets issued with a 1 year licence. 14 weeks is a shocking amount of time, the usual time frame is around 8 weeks. I don't think the DVLA have punished you for putting a complaint in, anyone who has had dependence on their medical history in the last 3 years will only get a 1 year licence.
Ah ok thats first I have heard that, so do you thnk someone who was alcohol dependent can only keep a licence if they keep abstaining?? Because I actually dont plan to give up for ever. Do you think every year there will be a 12 week + wait ? so you wouldnt be able to take a job requiring driving as there will be a peiod of time whithout a lcense again

Next year the DVLA pay for your medical and any medical examinations going forward, as far as I know you have to continue your abstinence if your period of alcohol dependence was in the last 3 years. Stay in contact with the DVLA so you can start your medical procedure long enough in advance of your licence being up, it would be a good idea to call them maybe around 3 months before the date your licence is up to get the ball rolling. Personally that's what I would be doing, I don't know their rules and procedures on this but my dad has a 2 year licence because of mental health problems and they've always had it sorted out before the expiration of the licence. Hope that helps

Is that true that if you have been marked as “dependent” you only get issued with a one year licence that’s gets renewed? How long does that go on for year after year??

Is that true that if you have been marked as “dependent” you only get issued with a one year licence that’s gets renewed? How long does that go on for year after year??

I'm not too sure how many years that will go on for, I read a forum post on this site about alcohol dependence reported to a doctor 25 years ago and they issue the user with a one year licence over the head of it. I think it keeps on going until the DVLA deem that your condition is not an ongoing risk to other road users.

I'm not too sure how many years that will go on for, I read a forum post on this site about alcohol dependence reported to a doctor 25 years ago and they issue the user with a one year licence over the head of it. I think it keeps on going until the DVLA deem that your condition is not an ongoing risk to other road users.
I will be writing to them during the week once I get license back so far just checked online and found they only given a cou ld anyone help me pen a letter my grammer is rubbish

UPDATE

Just an update folks, I spoke with my councillor with mental health in the NHS and got some advice. They did a complete profile on my drinking habits last year and they classed me in the misuse category rather than dependence. I got that in writing and booked an appointment with my GP to discuss his diagnosis of me and my GP has gone back into my records and changed my diagnosis from dependant to misuse (as I was a binge drinking not a daily drinker.) For anyone who has had a diagnosis that they don't agree with don't be afraid to challenge your doctor on it, having dependency on your medical history means you have to show 1 year of abstinence to get your licence back, a misuse diagnosis is 6 months of abstinance. I'm currently 8 months sober as of yesterday and this has been a huge weight lifted off as I can prove what will be 10 months of sobriety by the date of my medical. Thank you so much to the advice I've got on here.

Glad you are getting helped by your kind GP. Mine is adamant that I was dependent even though I only ever drank 3 bottles of wine per week, in 2 sessions, as I had sought his help thinking I was on a slippery slope and went to a local centre where my counsellor concluded I did not drink alcoholically and discharged me.

In retrospect I would have been better off not confiding in my GP.

Last edited:
30 odd units is nowhere near dependence, but dvla will prioritise a doctors “opinion” of dependence over any and all facts, and as you have discovered, one hysterical doctor can cause huge problems. Dvla themselves don’t even define dependence properly.
I’m not sure what your situation is, but if you were discharged from alcohol services you likely did a proper assessment and an audit test. It might be worth trying to get a copy of these (Subject access request) and see one of the other doctors at the practice to get these put in your notes, or confront the original doctor (they have a fragile ego and do get a bit pissy), or even change practice altogether. It could also be worth a complaint to the practice, if for no other reason than to be a pain in the arse I return. You can also appeal/complain to dvla and give them this info, just be aware dvla don’t really deal in facts and you probably wont win.
Oh, and get a copy of your medical notes. If you don’t agree with what has been written, you do have the right to have your views put in your medical notes.
Personally I treat any interaction with a gp with extreme caution these days. The only way to fight bullshit is more bullshit.

Just to clarify dependance is not alcoholic or daily drinking,
It's a cluster of issues that even the DVLA aren't to aware! there is no real form.
Taken from drink aware website it's the first paragraph

If you find it difficult to enjoy yourself or relax without having a drink, it’s possible you’ve become dependent on alcohol.

Like I said it's possibly a cluster of issues to being dependent ie how it affects your life!
A dependent drinker could easily be drinking less than a Missuse binge drinker!! it's a very fine line and sometimes like we have seen the DVLA gets its wrong but it cannot be easy hence why they take advice from DOCTORS
And I always stated keep in touch with your own doctor regular also insist on 3monthly blood checks if your job relies on your licence!

I challenged the report dependance! to be told slightly dependent WTF did that mean on the large scale of things! However my licence was revoked for 3 years on HGV for that single word (slightly)

Last edited:
30 odd units is nowhere near dependence, but dvla will prioritise a doctors “opinion” of dependence over any and all facts, and as you have discovered, one hysterical doctor can cause huge problems. Dvla themselves don’t even define dependence properly.
I’m not sure what your situation is, but if you were discharged from alcohol services you likely did a proper assessment and an audit test. It might be worth trying to get a copy of these (Subject access request) and see one of the other doctors at the practice to get these put in your notes, or confront the original doctor (they have a fragile ego and do get a bit pissy), or even change practice altogether. It could also be worth a complaint to the practice, if for no other reason than to be a pain in the arse I return. You can also appeal/complain to dvla and give them this info, just be aware dvla don’t really deal in facts and you probably wont win.
Oh, and get a copy of your medical notes. If you don’t agree with what has been written, you do have the right to have your views put in your medical notes.
Personally I treat any interaction with a gp with extreme caution these days. The only way to fight bullshit is more bullshit.
Thanks for your help. I am thinking of complaining to gp practice as I don’t want dependence on my records. I am a bit scared though unless the next, different gp will view me as troublesome. I need to be seen regularly to get them to log abstinent on their computer, then I think I can apply again 2 months before the anniversary of the fateful 2 cans of lager on 27.2.19, which will be late December. I don’t want the surgery against me again!

Do you think my current gp will have any bearing by then? I will also write to dvla to detail my concerns about my incorrect record and see if the latest letter from the gp, stating the month should have been week, has made any difference to their decision. Luckily, even though I didn’t know the rules (how does anyone find out?)
I had stopped drinking on 3.3.18 until 27.2.19, a year bar 3 days! I will reiterate this, but don’t hold out much hope.

Thanks

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off