DVLA Medical affected by Coronavurus

Convicted Driver Insurance

C J 1980

Established Member
Morning

Does anyone know if the DVLA medicals have or are likely to be affected by the recent events surrounding the Coronavirus?

Many events, meetings, appointments are being cancelled or postponed because of the outbreak of this horrible disease.

Does anyone on the forum know if the DVLA have implemented any measures that will affected people waiting to get their licences back?

CJ

I’ve just called to book mine in and been advised that all medicals are on hold pending further guidance from the DVLA
The lady I spoke to advised that I’d be better phoning next week when they’d hopefully have more information
?

My dad was given a 1 week time frame to hear back about his medical renewal. He rang back yesterday and was told that the one week wait would now be at least 3 months.

This will be extremely frustrating for many hundreds of people who are longing for their licences back.

I'm not eligible to do my own medical until around September time, so I'm hoping it will not be delayed and the Coronavirus hysteria should have died down by then.

Does anyone know if the DVLA have published any statements or made any announcements about their plans to 'suspend' all medicals?

CJ

I've posted this on another thread but I'm going to post it here too:

In Northern Ireland you have to re-do your driving test after a ban, all driving tests for 3 months have just been cancelled so no one here due to get off their ban will be able to. The reality is, call centres are closing. I live with 3 other friends, my first housemate's call centre in Belfast has been closed since last Tuesday and my other housemates closes on Friday, with my third housemate has been made redundant by his.

With no functioning call centres and mail opened centres the DVLA will grind to a halt just like every other similar business model. A lot of people in Northern Ireland are in for a much longer wait than on the mainland.

Morning

Does anyone know if the DVLA medicals have or are likely to be affected by the recent events surrounding the Coronavirus?

Many events, meetings, appointments are being cancelled or postponed because of the outbreak of this horrible disease.

Does anyone on the forum know if the DVLA have implemented any measures that will affected people waiting to get their licences back?

CJ

I phoned DVLA about an hour ago and asked the current situation with the virus going around. He said they have no delays their side of things so everything’s still working as normal. He did say the doctors side of things may be down so that will cause a delay. He did also say ‘they are open so far’ so this might assume they will shut in the coming weeks if told to do so. I got my medical on Monday and was told that my bloods would be sent away Monday night and the paperwork would be sent away Tuesday morning so I’m hoping everything is fine so far. I went onto google to see if the surgery. I attended is open still, turns out they have stopped all routine doctors appointments but it will still be open for telephone use so I’m hoping they sent all my documents to DVLA and they are received soon as I asked the guy on the phone if they had been received but haven’t so far!
Hope this helps you out a little :)

Like I said I've still got a few months of my own ban to serve & I'm hoping that by the late summer, Coronavirus and all the mayhem at the moment will be behind us and everything will be business as usual. It's a very frustrating period for the drink drivers who are having to endure prolonged time on their respective bans because of the situation with the DVLA.

Like I said I've still got a few months of my own ban to serve & I'm hoping that by the late summer, Coronavirus and all the mayhem at the moment will be behind us and everything will be business as usual. It's a very frustrating period for the drink drivers who are having to endure prolonged time on their respective bans because of the situation with the DVLA.

Fingers crossed for everyone waiting, and yeah I hope it’s all behind us by that time too!

Hello everyone,

been reading on this site for a while but this is first post so bare with ?
I’m waiting to go to court, currently listed for next Friday to apply for early return of my licence, under section 42.
Needless to say I’m panicking and just waiting for them to reschedule, even if I get the best result, sounding like I’ll still have to wait for medical and DVLA! Got company car waiting too!

Norwich magistrates Court.

to give a bit of my history, banned for second time in Feb 2018, for 45 months, 200 hrs community service. Haven’t drank now for 25 months, no plans to ever drink again. Been getting regular CDT tests to prove,the company I work for recently closed factory here in Norwich and I now need to drive to keep job. Want to know anything else just ask ?

You would benefit from getting something from your company, detailing how yo7 are a valued staff member and it would cause them problems if you could not travel to the new location.
also be in a position to show how difficult it would be for you to use public transport. They will be less inclined to grant an application if bus / Train travel is a viable option.
You will be aware that you will still have to do a DVLA medical before you can drive if they grant your application, and you may well have read on here that there is starting to be a delay in getting an approved doctor to carry out the test as they are rather busy with other pressing matters.......

Just out of interest, what is a section 42? As convicted drink drivers I didn't think we had any way of getting our licences back early, with the exception of the reduction course.

CJ

You would benefit from getting something from your company, detailing how yo7 are a valued staff member and it would cause them problems if you could not travel to the new location.
also be in a position to show how difficult it would be for you to use public transport. They will be less inclined to grant an application if bus / Train travel is a viable option.
You will be aware that you will still have to do a DVLA medical before you can drive if they grant your application, and you may well have read on here that there is starting to be a delay in getting an approved doctor to carry out the test as they are rather busy with other pressing matters.......
So I have 3 letters from work stating that, I have 2 CDT tests one year apart over the last year, 6 normal LFT’s, character reference from my sponsor within A.A. and a character reference off my parents who have seen the most change, I have a young son who lives with his mum who I struggle to see as I do not drive.
Fully understand about delay with Medicaid but nothing I can do and taking all this a step at a time.

Just out of interest, what is a section 42? As convicted drink drivers I didn't think we had any way of getting our licences back early, with the exception of the reduction course.

CJ
So a section 42 is a part of law which allows application for early return of licence once a designated period of time since ban has been passed, you have to have demonstrable mitigating circumstances and is far from a dead certain process, but it’s like most prisoners only having to serve half their sentence for good behaviour

Very interesting.

Is a section 42 only granted for 2nd time drink drivers or is any DD eligible for it?

I was under the illusion that a ban is a ban - if you get 28 months - you serve 28 months!!! The only lifeline is the reduction course that has given me 7 months off.

When I was dealt with at court I was never told about this or 'designated periods' so I just assume I'm not eligible anyway.

CJ

Very interesting.

Is a section 42 only granted for 2nd time drink drivers or is any DD eligible for it?

I was under the illusion that a ban is a ban - if you get 28 months - you serve 28 months!!! The only lifeline is the reduction course that has given me 7 months off.

When I was dealt with at court I was never told about this or 'designated periods' so I just assume I'm not eligible anyway.

CJ
S.42 of The Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 [1]allows disqualified drivers, under certain circumstances, to make an application to the court (that disqualified them) and request consideration for the early removal of the disqualification.

I'm more than half way through my ban & as a HRO I already have enough on my plate dealing with the DVLA and their medical.

I take it section 42s will only be considered in exceptional circumstances?

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off