DVLA license renewal nightmare

Convicted Driver Insurance

coley

Good afternoon,

I am writing this with great frustration. I put my application In for renewal of my driving licence last March 2020. It still hasn't been issued and the DVLA have taken their time getting back to me. I appreciate I've been busy. I am a key worker a carer and I have turned my life around since my offence which was spend last December 2020. It was a DR10 and my breath reading was 110. So therefore I fell into the high risk offender. I will be three years sober this March 2021. The DVLA is aware I'm a recovering alcoholic, aware of my sobriety.

They contacted my doctor for information. They didn't bother to contact my physiatrist again I have diagnosed PTSD, depression and anxiety that I am on medication for. None of which impact my ability to drive.

They are still adamant that I need a medical. Despite being aware of my sobriety and having it confirmed. I have told them another drink would kill me and I found my best friend dead last March and I didn't drink over that.

I have tried to book medical since December 2020. I have been unable to get an appointment always booked next avaliable in March now. I have made over 15 calls to the DVLA surgery and I have tried to ring the DVLA to get a new doctor to go to however their lines are constantly busy.

This is all whilst being allowed to drive under section 88. No longer classed as a high risk offended due to my year of no relapse/not getting arrested/pulled over not having an accident etc.

Now this whole situation is beginning to get me so stressed. I have issued a complaint to dvla requested to contact my psychiatric and repeating the facts as above and I got a standard reply in the post. They need a blood test. I get that. Obviously my doctors information doesn't mean much to them.

Anyone else experiencing and issues and any advice. Getting to the end of my tether with my temper and I'm a very calm person.

Thank you.

Jess

Good afternoon,

I am writing this with great frustration. I put my application In for renewal of my driving licence last March 2020. It still hasn't been issued and the DVLA have taken their time getting back to me. I appreciate I've been busy. I am a key worker a carer and I have turned my life around since my offence which was spend last December 2020. It was a DR10 and my breath reading was 110. So therefore I fell into the high risk offender. I will be three years sober this March 2021. The DVLA is aware I'm a recovering alcoholic, aware of my sobriety.

They contacted my doctor for information. They didn't bother to contact my physiatrist again I have diagnosed PTSD, depression and anxiety that I am on medication for. None of which impact my ability to drive.

They are still adamant that I need a medical. Despite being aware of my sobriety and having it confirmed. I have told them another drink would kill me and I found my best friend dead last March and I didn't drink over that.

I have tried to book medical since December 2020. I have been unable to get an appointment always booked next avaliable in March now. I have made over 15 calls to the DVLA surgery and I have tried to ring the DVLA to get a new doctor to go to however their lines are constantly busy.

This is all whilst being allowed to drive under section 88. No longer classed as a high risk offended due to my year of no relapse/not getting arrested/pulled over not having an accident etc.

Now this whole situation is beginning to get me so stressed. I have issued a complaint to dvla requested to contact my psychiatric and repeating the facts as above and I got a standard reply in the post. They need a blood test. I get that. Obviously my doctors information doesn't mean much to them.

Anyone else experiencing and issues and any advice. Getting to the end of my tether with my temper and I'm a very calm person.

Thank you.

Jess

Sorry to hear about that, I'm in the exact boat and it is so frustrating

You mention that you have been diagnosed with PTSD, Anxiety and Depression and are on medication for these, none of which affect your ability to drive. People who have been diagnosed with 1 or more of those conditions are statistically much more likely to misuse alcohol in self medication, therefore although you don't think they affect your ability to drive, DVLA will disagree - that is why they want the medical and blood test to back up their records.

Unfortunately you are subject to annual DVLA medicals until they are satisfied that you are no longer a risk, this generally will last for up to 6 years after your original DVLA medical pass. Just because you have assured them that you cannot/will not drink again, they have a duty of care and that is why they require the medical. As I'm sure you'd agree, some people may occasionally lie to the DVLA and they therefore don't take your word for things. As you are able to drive under S88 (I presume your GP has specifically said that they are happy for you to drive in writing) I don't see what the major issue is? They have a specific routine that has to be followed, just wait until you can get a medical to satisfy their request and do it then! In the meantime you are fine to carry on.

You mention that you have been diagnosed with PTSD, Anxiety and Depression and are on medication for these, none of which affect your ability to drive. People who have been diagnosed with 1 or more of those conditions are statistically much more likely to misuse alcohol in self medication, therefore although you don't think they affect your ability to drive, DVLA will disagree - that is why they want the medical and blood test to back up their records.

Unfortunately you are subject to annual DVLA medicals until they are satisfied that you are no longer a risk, this generally will last for up to 6 years after your original DVLA medical pass. Just because you have assured them that you cannot/will not drink again, they have a duty of care and that is why they require the medical. As I'm sure you'd agree, some people may occasionally lie to the DVLA and they therefore don't take your word for things. As you are able to drive under S88 (I presume your GP has specifically said that they are happy for you to drive in writing) I don't see what the major issue is? They have a specific routine that has to be followed, just wait until you can get a medical to satisfy their request and do it then! In the meantime you are fine to carry on.
It's a combination of things that are the issue if I'm honest. But thanks for your explanation. I appreciate the reply.

Piss take i'm a HRO, applied last March for License DVLA cocked up my address, sent to my new address but license had old address on , when i phoned i had to resend it with a updated photo..which delayed my application granted the lockdowns haven;t helped , i ended up having medical in November , they have wrote to my Dr .. i still waiting the outcome . trying to get in touch is a mission in itself

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off