Duty solicitors and statements

Convicted Driver Insurance

Avantime

Well Known Member
How easy is it to see a duty solicitor at the magistrates court and are they able to read a statement on your behalf when the defence, namely yourself, gets a chance to speak?

Reading between the lines, I take it you've just been charged and waiting for the court date?

Duty solicitors - it all depends on what other cases are listed that day. They tend to pay more attention to those that may possibly be facing custody. Not saying that to worry you as not all cases are drink or drug driving.

What was your reading?

Reading between the lines, I take it you've just been charged and waiting for the court date?

Duty solicitors - it all depends on what other cases are listed that day. They tend to pay more attention to those that may possibly be facing custody. Not saying that to worry you as not all cases are drink or drug driving.

What was your reading?
I've already looked at the magistrates sentencing guidelines and I'm classified as high risk due to my blood reading however I don't reach the custodial level. So are there any insurers out there that will cover a car belonging to someone without a licence?

I've already looked at the magistrates sentencing guidelines and I'm classified as high risk due to my blood reading however I don't reach the custodial level. So are there any insurers out there that will cover a car belonging to someone without a licence?
In a word no. Sell it or get somebody else to insure it. Or SORN it but that means it has to be kept on private land ie a drive.

hey there im waiting on my blood readings to come back and im wondering if it come back under can they back date it with out a breath testat the side of the road surley this would be inaccurate

Last edited:
In a word no. Sell it or get somebody else to insure it. Or SORN it but that means it has to be kept on private land ie a drive.
I told my insurers that I'd been convicted my policy runs out in November they let me carry on my insurance. Happy to take my money
And I'm obviously not driving my car

I told my insurers that I'd been convicted my policy runs out in November they let me carry on my insurance. Happy to take my money
And I'm obviously not driving my car
How odd. What will you do in November?

How odd. What will you do in November?
God knows my partner has a provisional drivers licence so may get him to insure the car. I was ery surprised when they said yiur next installment will be etc etc adding on the change I did and adding there admin fee

God knows my partner has a provisional drivers licence so may get him to insure the car. I was ery surprised when they said yiur next installment will be etc etc adding on the change I did and adding there admin fee
Don't want to worry but but check through all the small print to see if you would be covered in case you had to make a claim for say damage.

I'd double check with them if I was you. To have insurance, you need a valid driving licence. As you have no licence, your insurance is more than likely invalid and you are paying for something that will probably not pay out if you were to claim....

I'd double check with them if I was you. To have insurance, you need a valid driving licence. As you have no licence, your insurance is more than likely invalid and you are paying for something that will probably not pay out if you were to claim....
But I'm not driving the car as I'm banned the car is sitting outside I'm happy to pay the insurance because I have nowhere to put it if I sorn it

But I'm not driving the car as I'm banned the car is sitting outside I'm happy to pay the insurance because I have nowhere to put it if I sorn it
It doesn't matter that you are not driving it. To have car insurance you need a licence. No licence, no insurance.

If it turns out that they misunderstood, you could be pursued for insurance fraud should a claim be made for example a third party crashing into it....

Like I say, I'd double check with them and get it in writing. Ignorance is no defence unfortunately.

It doesn't matter that you are not driving it. To have car insurance you need a licence. No licence, no insurance.

If it turns out that they misunderstood, you could be pursued for insurance fraud should a claim be made for example a third party crashing into it....

Like I say, I'd double check with them and get it in writing. Ignorance is no defence unfortunately.
I told them I've been banned for 18 months told them I received the d10 form. I told them what date the offence happened not sure how they could of not understood me. But will check over my insurance documents

Never trust insurance companies i can guarantee they will not pay out if anything happened to your car,but are more than happy to take your money every month.

Never trust insurance companies i can guarantee they will not pay out if anything happened to your car,but are more than happy to take your money every month.
To be honest where I live is in the country side in the middle of nowhere so touch wood I think the ar will be ok but I totally here you

Second hand cars are selling for record high prices now. Rather than having it sitting for 18 months with flat battery etc., make some money?

Second hand cars are selling for record high prices now. Rather than having it sitting for 18 months with flat battery etc., make some money?
Hiya I have till Nov to pay then the car is mine it's on finance and to be honest I really don't wanna sell it I want a car for when the ban is up. As I'm in the middle of nowhere. I start the car up every now and then keeping it ticking over. And was thinking of adding my friend as an additional driver just to drive the car a little so I don't get no problems.

Hiya I have till Nov to pay then the car is mine it's on finance and to be honest I really don't wanna sell it I want a car for when the ban is up. As I'm in the middle of nowhere. I start the car up every now and then keeping it ticking over. And was thinking of adding my friend as an additional driver just to drive the car a little so I don't get no problems.
Be very careful even starting the car with a drink driving conviction will cause you real issues if the police came past and new you were banned. Seems a little daft to keep paying for a car you cannot drive for 18 months sell it clear the finance and save any profit for when you are able to drive again.

Last edited:
I had a car on finance when I got banned. I went halves on the finance with a friend, so he got a nice shiny car to drive for a few months, and my finance payments were a bit easier to stomach. I sold the car with about 4 months left on the finance and managed to make about £1800 on the thing.

Be very careful even starting the car with a drink driving conviction will cause you real issues if the police came past and new you were banned. Seems a little daft to keep paying for a car you cannot drive for 18 months sell it clear the finance and save any profit for when you are able to drive again.
I know what your saying but I've been paying for this car for 5 years now i wanna keep it really don't want to sell. I hear you but really don't want to sell

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off