Drunk in Charge - so worried

Convicted Driver Insurance

Kishan123

Hi guys, I was hoping someone could give me an insight in to what to expect in court...here’s an outline of my case:

I was out with a friend having a few drinks which escalated into an argument. The argument had escalated and he had phoned the police saying he was worried I was going to drive home. They came and spoke to him during which I had gotten in to the back of my car (the car was unlocked- I didn’t have the keys at the time, my friend had taken them off me) and sat down, they then came over warned me not to stay away from my car whilst under the influence & to either stay at a hotel or somewhere else.
After which I had made an effort to call another friend to ask if I could stay over but got no answer. The argument between me and my friend continued. I then I got my keys unlocked the car and put my bag in the back and went to sleep in the drivers seat. The police came ten mins after and breathalised me; I blew 84 roadside and 64 in custody. Im being charged with drunk in charge and will plead guilty as although at that time my intention wasn’t to drive, I know that what I did was as wrong especially after being warned. I Am super worried and genuinely remorseful of what had happend. The argument, my actions, my behaviour - all toxic. I’ve got no previous convictions, work in healthcare, can provide good character references and attending therapy for anger management. Can anyone give any insight into what to potentially expect sentencing wise at court?

If you get yourself a half decent solicitor then you quite possibly could end up with 10 points on your licence and therefore you may keep your licence, however they have the power to ban you as well, you need to think of mitigating circumstances, you need to drive for your job, character references and dress smartly, you can use the duty solicitor on the day of your court appearance but usually they are for the most serious cases, aggravating factors you was warned by the police and didn't listen, you blew twice the legal limit, however it is your first offence and I think everybody deserves a second chance and I would predict that you may keep your licence only just, prepare for your insurance premiums to rocket.....be ```prepared to be very remorseful (honestly) and keep your anger under control at court.....

Details of offence as provided by you:

• Specimen Type: breath
  • Alcohol Level: between 60 and 89
  • No previous drink driving related convictions within the proceeding 10 years
  • You have not been disqualified two or more times for 56 days or more within the proceeding 3 years
Based on the information you provided above, upon conviction of driving with excess alcohol, Magistrates' sentencing guidelines suggest:

Possible High Risk Offender
If the level of alcohol in your system exceeded 87.5 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath, or 200 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of blood, or 267.5 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine you will be classed as a high risk offender.

High risk offenders are required to take and pass a DVLA Medical before their driving licence will be returned to them upon expiration of their driving driving disqualification.

Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course
All courts usually offer first time offenders the opportunity to take the drink driving rehabilitation course. A court may allow an offender to take the course a second time where there is a good reason to do so. Offenders will not usually be offered a chance to take the course for a third time. Completing the course can reduce any disqualification period imposed by up to 25%.

Enter New Information

Thanks for your response. I genuinely really regret what happend that night and want to come out on the other side of this with lesson learnt and a better person. I’ve had a look at the sentencing guidelines online and it suggests the same as above but on sentencing guidelines.org it says slightly diff for Drunk in charge as it doesn’t say potential length of ban, what do you think in terms of length of ban? I’ve got a solicitor appointed and like you say hopefully he can help me get through this

I would of thought if they are going to ban you maybe 12 months, but look you made a mistake we all do it at least you didn't drive and you had no intention of, I think they'll give you the benefit of the doubt and issue 10 points on your licence and lesson learnt this time, and I think that could be a constant reminder of how harsh the law can be when we make mistakes....do keep us posted how you get on we are here to help and listen, you are one of the fortunate ones at least you didn't drink drive, there was a lady on here last summer in the same position as you and she walked away with 10 points and kept her licence...mind you she had a few sleepless nights as we all have but try not to overthink things...

You say you work in health care if nhs you need to tell your employer ASAP as the police will probably inform them if they asked re your job so better from you plus if it gets in the local paper
If private care will depend on your employer but nb it will show on future dbs checks so honesty should best
It is so hard waiting , but get some good character refs your employer is a good one, & write a letter of remorse to the bench unless you can feel up to reading it
Lots of advice on this site re court worth reading

You should get 10 points and no ban for that charge, but they could ban you for six months, depending on circumstances.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off