Driving under section 88 while waiting for license

Convicted Driver Insurance
My first post-ban 1 year driving licence (I was a HRO) expired at midnight last night. I had already reinsured with Hastings Direct from 28 September. Having read this thread I got worried about insurance as I am now under S88 until medical enquiries are completed again. I still had a full licence when I applied, so I wasn't saying anything untrue.

I called them just now and they said that as long as the DVLA have said I can drive with GP approval (which they have and my GP has OK'd) that they would note this on my insurance record but that the policy would start on 28th and there would be no change to the premium.

Last edited:
I can't recall exactly where, but was an official source, they altered the wording recently (possibly due to Covid) from "Your GP needs to have told you that you are fit to drive" to "Your GP needs not to have told you shouldn't drive" (paraphrased) .

I will keep looking where I saw it, but was a definite thing....
My first post-ban 1 year driving licence (I was a HRO) expired at midnight last night. I had already reinsured with Hastings Direct from 28 September. Having read this thread I got worried about insurance as I am now under S88 until medical enquiries are completed again. I still had a full licence when I applied, so I wasn't saying anything untrue.

I called them just now and they said that as long as the DVLA have said I can drive with GP approval (which they have and my GP has OK'd) that they would note this on my insurance record but that the policy would start on 28th and there would be no change to the premium.
Hi yes you have done the correct thing and nothing to worry about, I was worried when I seen flashing blue lights behind me in June on my motorbike, was stopped and fined £100 because I had a small number plate on and when he asked for my licence I said I ride on section 88 he was fine with that so that's ``proof that it does work....

Hi In order for you to drive on section 88 your driving licence will need to be issued first by the Dvla, driving on section 88 only applies IF your current driving licence has run out, or you have surrendered your licence to the DVLA and your GP has given you the all clear to drive plus you will need to have a D1 application in DVLA possession, DO NOT DRIVE until your licence has been issued, you could be looking at another ban …..

Honestman

I took out my current insurance policy on the 22nd January 2021, and it ends at midnight on the 21st January 2022. I purchased the insurance on the same day I learned from the DVLA that my 12 month temporary licence was issued after my ban.

Come next January, when my present driving licence comes to an end (on the 21st) - the insurance ends the day after!!!! How am I supposed to renew my insurance if I am potentially having to use Section 88?

CJ

DVLA will write to you 3 months before your licence is due to run out , hopefully your next medical licence will arrive in time the reason that haven't this time is due to covid, however if it does run out your insurance will automatically renew,( no need to produce licence ) or if you want to shop around you can inform them on the drop down bar that you have a one year medical licence DVLA aware as this is what you will expect to receive, insurance companies are fine with that.....or to keep things simple you can reinsure 2 weeks before your licence runs out meaning that your not on section 88......

Hi yes you have done the correct thing and nothing to worry about, I was worried when I seen flashing blue lights behind me in June on my motorbike, was stopped and fined £100 because I had a small number plate on and when he asked for my licence I said I ride on section 88 he was fine with that so that's ``proof that it does work....
Thanks Honestman. It's funny, I was told on my Rehabilitation course to expect to be stopped quite a lot by police under for anything they could reasonably stop me for, because of my conviction but I can honestly say in the year since I've been back on the road I have not (yet) been stopped once. I guess they must be pretty stretched at the moment.

Thanks Honestman. It's funny, I was told on my Rehabilitation course to expect to be stopped quite a lot by police under for anything they could reasonably stop me for, because of my conviction but I can honestly say in the year since I've been back on the road I have not (yet) been stopped once. I guess they must be pretty stretched at the moment.
Yes I think personally the police can’t tell weather your section 88 or not until stopped and asked there will be no markers showing on their radar

Yes I think personally the police can’t tell weather your section 88 or not until stopped and asked there will be no markers showing on their radar
But there will be something that flags you have a conviction, from automatic number plate recognition or whatever, and that was what we were advised we would be stopped for. Basically the police wanting to check at any opportunity that we weren't offending again

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off