Driving in Spain

Convicted Driver Insurance

Davide20s

Hi everyone,

I've recently been banned from driving in the UK for 12 months i blew 42 stupid decision but genuinely thought after 2 and a half pints I was under. My question is to my surprise they haven't actually taken my physical licence off me, I spend around 2-3 months a time in Spain and I have a car there I'm insured on, I think I know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway especially with brexit can I drive over there? And if I was stopped do they have access to the dvla data or would they even bother looking if I showed my licence if stopped?

Thanks in advance

Don't be stupid and compound one mistake with another.

You won't be licenced to drive in Spain. As with everywhere in the World, the licence you have in your country of residence allows you to drive for 12 months overseas.

If for example you crash and injure someone, your insurance will pay for the other person(s) injuries and costs, but they will then come after you for the entire amount.

You will also be charged and potentially imprisoned.

It might also be worthwhile attending a Drink Driver Awareness course where you will be taught exactly how little it takes to put you over the limit and also how long it takes alcohol to clear your system.

Anyway, I am pretty sure you already know all of this.

In conclusion - DON'T DO IT.

Hi everyone,

I've recently been banned from driving in the UK for 12 months i blew 42 stupid decision but genuinely thought after 2 and a half pints I was under. My question is to my surprise they haven't actually taken my physical licence off me, I spend around 2-3 months a time in Spain and I have a car there I'm insured on, I think I know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway especially with brexit can I drive over there? And if I was stopped do they have access to the dvla data or would they even bother looking if I showed my licence if stopped?

Thanks in advance

Your licence card isn't your actual licence. The licence number is and that number, printed on your photo card; completely invalid. If you crash you are driving without a licence and driving without insurance. This carries the possibility of imprisonment in Spain.

They can't check it at the road side but how sure are you that a tourist used to driving on the left doesn't round a corner and plow straight into the front of you. Or even a drink driver, I'm sure none of the owners of the cars I hit expected that to happen, but it did. The first thing insurance will ask for is proof of entitlement to drive and proof of insurance. Not having the former invalidates the latter, so yes as CJ states. Terrible idea. There's nothing stopping you however from getting a Spanish licence while banned here so you can do your test over there if your Spanish is up to scratch.

Agree with Luna2000 and Grice 96, except to say that to get a Spanish licence I think you will find that they require proof of residence for 6 months.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off