Driving course

Convicted Driver Insurance
You don’t have to do it. But can’t understand why you wouldn’t want to do it tbh. It reduced my ban from 26 months down to 19 months. Can reduce by 25% meaning you can get back on the road sooner and put all the mess behind you.

for the amount it costs but the rewards you get. I personally would do it.

It's only £140 and reduces your ban by 25%, it's worth it. It also is a very good tool to help you understand the rules around drinking and how long the body takes to process alcohol. I thought the course was well worth the money.

Also have to agree with the information you take on whilst there. Will really open your eyes to units and what you can drink. I’ve passed this on to family/ friends. It’s a course I actually think should be built into getting your license in the first place. Maybe not as in depth but part of it. Especially unit counting, and how long the alcohol takes to come out of your system and when your fit to drive.

I think it's worth it... like others have said, it's an eye opener in terms of units of alcohol. It's the course you wish you had taken when you did your driving test, as the ramifications of a DR10 hits very hard.
You don't HAVE to do it, but there are benefits that makes the ban easier to deal with and what you learn can prevent it happening again

I can understand the monetary factor playing a part in the decision making particularly with the initial court fees, but I think the benefits outweight the cost.

The benefits have been outlined here already, 25% off the ban and also an experience to truly learn about the effects of Drink Driving (although I feel this should be given at the start of someone's experience when first learning to drive; given that it's in essence the only driving offence that leads to possible imprisonment and a criminal record - maybe coupled under a course called Driving Ethics to mirror most professional associations courses)

My total court fees were £600 and with the addition of the course I'll be looking at £750. It's a very expensive error. But I'll definitely be going for the course.

Last edited:
Nah not yet, I should've booked my course BEFORE I had my court case, but I didnt want to tempt fate - but alas, I was given the opportunity to take it, and the one I wanted to book in October is now full (typical).

Other areas are quite a mission for me, and taking in travel costs I'll be looking at an extra £100, but I want to take the Aspire courses given that they are weekend based, but there are many other good providers available, so I might be tempted to switch if time permits.

interestingly, I've been waiting for my account number to pay the fine and I only just received my court letter detailing the fine (8 days later) and on the same day I received an actions letter stating that I'd missed the deadline. Luckily I had phoned up and requested for the necessary info a couple days prior and paid there and then! Would've hated to end up on Channel 5s 'Can't pay we'll take it away'.

You cannot book the course before you are at court.
The court has to offer the course, you have to accept and nominate a provider,, the court have to notify the provider who put you on their system and then write to you, within 14 days. Until that has happened, you are not on the providers system so cannot book a course.
You are right that a,though you are asked to nominate a provider at court, you can change your mind afterwards and ask to be switched to a different provider.

Ah, was unaware that I couldn't book prior... But sounds about right and logical, particularly as you're unaware whether you will be offered an opportunity to take course in the first place and subsequently causing an additional cost to the provider if they have to then start processing refunds for the speculators.

If you intend in driving again, some insurance companies give you credit for completing the course When you go to sart being insured again. The TTc one I took does.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off