DVLA Coronavirus (COVID-19) update: DVLA are now processing paper applications, however these will take longer to process as the DVLA are working with reduced staff to meet social distancing requirements. If your application requires medical information or examinations there are likely to be delays also. Click here for more information.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Compare quotes from leading drink driver insurance specialists in the UK

Get Quotes

Driving Abroad


New member
I am going to Israel in July, I Hope to rent a car there; however, I was disqualified from driving by a Scottish Court for 12 months in September 2015, thus am currently unable to drive in Britain.

I am told that as the disqualification is only valid in the UK a 'letter of competency' [or similar] from the DVLA would allow me to hire a vehicle in a foreign country.

Is this correct, and if so, how does one go about obtaining such documents.

With thanks,


Michael Lyon

Road Traffic Solicitor (Scotland)

This is something you will require to speak to DVLA about (easier said than done, I appreciate!) to ascertain if they are in a position to furnish you with such a document.

Best of luck,

Michael Lyon