Drinking Neighbour

Convicted Driver Insurance

snk7

There is a house on my street (a HMO). An Indivdual gets in his car, turns on the Engine. He usually drinks quite a few cans of lager. He sometimes goes around the block then parks. This has been going on for sometime, generally everyday. Not sure what to do, the person also smokes and drops cigarette butts on the street. If anyone can advise?

0800 555111 is the crime stoppers number. Ring that, give the location, car number and approximate times and it will be auctioned. No need to give your ID.

Having been in the gauntlet myself for drink driving, I would say in your situation, just ring Crimestoppers or use the 101 service with anonymous details and a witheld number. As much as it pains me to say this, sometimes people have to learn the hard way if they are constantly committing this offence.

CJ

As been mentioned get a life and keep your nose out.

Good to see you have clearly learned literally nothing from your time on this forum.

OP if your neighbour is risking the lives of every pedestrian on your street by getting behind the wheel drunk, report it to the police as soon as possible. What happens if he does it again and this time a child runs out in front of his car? If I hadn't have been caught I would have kept doing it because I believed I was genuinely good at it. It's disappointing to see irresponsible responses like that on a forum that should be made up of users who have learned their lesson.

Good to see you have clearly learned literally nothing from your time on this forum.

OP if your neighbour is risking the lives of every pedestrian on your street by getting behind the wheel drunk, report it to the police as soon as possible. What happens if he does it again and this time a child runs out in front of his car? If I hadn't have been caught I would have kept doing it because I believed I was genuinely good at it. It's disappointing to see irresponsible responses like that on a forum that should be made up of users who have learned their lesson.
Do not though stones in glass houses and do not preach to me grice. You drunk and drove and got caught pal quite simple. A grass is a grass in my book and i have no time for that.

Do not though stones in glass houses and do not preach to me grice. You drunk and drove and got caught pal quite simple. A grass is a grass in my book and i have no time for that.

At least I have a shred of self awareness. Did the big bad system take your licence off you for abusing drink and now it's everyone's fault but your own?

Let me tell you about grassing, I live in an area in Northern Ireland where touting gets you shot by paramilitaries. If the information you have saves an innocent persons life you have a moral obligation to share it. Going by what you've just told me, if you had information that your neighbour was abusing children, you would not tell the police as a grass is a grass? Again, we are all supposed to learn from our mistakes, and here you are proclaiming with your whole chest that you were dense enough to learn nothing after being revoked.

At least I have a shred of self awareness. Did the big bad system take your licence off you for abusing drink and now it's everyone's fault but your own?

Let me tell you about grassing, I live in an area in Northern Ireland where touting gets you shot by paramilitaries. If the information you have saves an innocent persons life you have a moral obligation to share it. Going by what you've just told me, if you had information that your neighbour was abusing children, you would not tell the police as a grass is a grass? Again, we are all supposed to learn from our mistakes, and here you are proclaiming with your whole chest that you were dense enough to learn nothing after being revoked.
Do not take your mistakes out on other people and we are not talking about child abuse.I am not condoning this guy as i do not live by him and neither to you. This could be a total innocent person so who the hell are you to judge. (fool)

The OP is a busybody. How does he know that the bloke regularly drinks quite a few cans and drives around the block? Is he stalking him??? He could be drinking cans of coke or zero alcohol lager for all we know! The OP seems more concerned that this feller drops his cigarette butts on the floor, and makes a point that the house is an HMO which in my opinion makes him a snob - he obviously doesn't want smoking house sharers in his neighbourhood!!! Why come on a forum like this and ask what to do? Yes if this geezer is drinking and driving, he should be encouraged to stop before he hurts somebody, but to peek through the curtains and then ask us what to do when he doesn't know the facts is quite disturbing. He also mentioned that quite a few of the neighbours have noted this also, so he is obviously gossiping about a potentially innocent person. Grice I understand your moral standpoint, however I think curtain twitching poison neighbours are not people to be encouraged...

The OP is a busybody. How does he know that the bloke regularly drinks quite a few cans and drives around the block? Is he stalking him??? He could be drinking cans of coke or zero alcohol lager for all we know! The OP seems more concerned that this feller drops his cigarette butts on the floor, and makes a point that the house is an HMO which in my opinion makes him a snob - he obviously doesn't want smoking house sharers in his neighbourhood!!! Why come on a forum like this and ask what to do? Yes if this geezer is drinking and driving, he should be encouraged to stop before he hurts somebody, but to peek through the curtains and then ask us what to do when he doesn't know the facts is quite disturbing. He also mentioned that quite a few of the neighbours have noted this also, so he is obviously gossiping about a potentially innocent person. Grice I understand your moral standpoint, however I think curtain twitching poison neighbours are not people to be encouraged...
Spot on which was my point of view (y)

I think everyone should agree to disagree without exchanging insults. We are all different people with different perceptions of the 'whys & wherefores' of this issue.

Having been convicted of drink driving myself, I know what a game changer it is to someone's life. Everyone's situation is different and I at least have sympathy with others who fall foul of the breathalyser.

In this particular case, we don't know if the neighbour has any other problems such as mental health or depression - he could be going through a very difficult time in his life. He shouldn't be judged too harshly because we don't know what is going on behind closed doors.

However, as FatMark has stated - do we actually know the neighbour IS drinking? Is there overwhelming evidence to support the drink driving? Putting two & two together to make five isn't enough.

If this is a genuine drink driver, like Grice96 has said it might stop the inevitable (a serious collision & loss of life) making that phone call. I know from my own experience, it stopped my own problems dead in their tracks when I was arrested, but it then created new ones (if that makes sense?).

On reflection it was the best course of action that I was arrested, because YES - I would have carried on drinking and driving if he hadn't have been caught on the 13th February 2019. Before, my arrest I became convinced that I could just keep getting away with it and never suffer the consequences. Maybe, this neighbour currently possesses the same attitude I had (if he is drinking and not guzzling cans of Roadstar). However, my own ban turned things around for me - the better I reckon.

There are no right or wrongs here, but ask yourself this - if this guy is genuinely drinking (if it is blatantly obvious!) and he kills a child, could you live with it on your conscious knowing you could have stepped in and done something to prevent it?

Food for thought. I'm not hear to ruffle anyone's feathers - everyone is entitled to their opinion, hence the whole point of the forum!

Regards

CJ

I think everyone should agree to disagree without exchanging insults. We are all different people with different perceptions of the 'whys & wherefores' of this issue.

Having been convicted of drink driving myself, I know what a game changer it is to someone's life. Everyone's situation is different and I at least have sympathy with others who fall foul of the breathalyser.

In this particular case, we don't know if the neighbour has any other problems such as mental health or depression - he could be going through a very difficult time in his life. He shouldn't be judged too harshly because we don't know what is going on behind closed doors.

However, as FatMark has stated - do we actually know the neighbour IS drinking? Is there overwhelming evidence to support the drink driving? Putting two & two together to make five isn't enough.

If this is a genuine drink driver, like Grice96 has said it might stop the inevitable (a serious collision & loss of life) making that phone call. I know from my own experience, it stopped my own problems dead in their tracks when I was arrested, but it then created new ones (if that makes sense?).

On reflection it was the best course of action that I was arrested, because YES - I would have carried on drinking and driving if he hadn't have been caught on the 13th February 2019. Before, my arrest I became convinced that I could just keep getting away with it and never suffer the consequences. Maybe, this neighbour currently possesses the same attitude I had (if he is drinking and not guzzling cans of Roadstar). However, my own ban turned things around for me - the better I reckon.

There are no right or wrongs here, but ask yourself this - if this guy is genuinely drinking (if it is blatantly obvious!) and he kills a child, could you live with it on your conscious knowing you could have stepped in and done something to prevent it?

Food for thought. I'm not hear to ruffle anyone's feathers - everyone is entitled to their opinion, hence the whole point of the forum!

Regards

CJ
This could be someone with a grudge again a close neighbour. We know nothing what so ever and the simple fact why come on a forum and ask. If there is an issue then use the phone and report it as its just pure common sense for christ sake.

Do you still get £250 for whistle blowing? You certainly used to.

Personally I don't know what I'd do. It's never good to get involved in things. Karma and all that.

But maybe this is his karma coming home to roost. Mine did, and the post above, saying he could kill a child - is right. I didn't kill anyone, but I could have. And that's why the ban really hurt.

All of us who were once (even if only once) stupid enough to were. We got caught. Why not him?

Tough call. If it is bothering you, spread the word maybe and let the community decide. Someone will.

The original OP was asking for advice on what to do in this scenario. Obviously quite unsure / maybe scared what to do. I understand that it is a personal opinion and think alot of the comments on here have been most unhelpful. I know what I would do in this situation but that's not for everyone. For God's sake stop ridiculing and if you have nothing constructive to say then go away. Hope okay OP!!

The original OP was asking for advice on what to do in this scenario. Obviously quite unsure / maybe scared what to do. I understand that it is a personal opinion and think alot of the comments on here have been most unhelpful. I know what I would do in this situation but that's not for everyone. For God's sake stop ridiculing and if you have nothing constructive to say then go away. Hope okay OP!!

It's a awkward one for sure. #awks

Can't believe I just did that. But said that before :D

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off