DRINK DRIVING SENTENCES

Convicted Driver Insurance
Brief Description of Offence:
Was at a party and drunk several bottles of lager, went to the station and fell asleep for a few hours, came back and drove for a couple of miles at 6am. police followed me for the last bit and claimed i staggered out of the car

Blood Alcohol Level and Reading Type:
111 breath

Mitigating Factors:
clean record, guilty plea

Aggravating Factors:
none

Legal Representation at Court?:
No

Sentence:
24 month ban, 100 hours community service and £60 court costs

Offered the Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course?:
Yes and i didnt take it

Sentence Comments:
I expected the ban but thought the community service was harsh, probation suggested 60 hrs and maj wanted more but settled on 100

Now have my license back and can honestly say it was a wake up call and i won't drink drive again. In the year i have had it back only once have i driven after a drink and that was only one pint, i was so nervous driving even though i knew i was below the limit.

Had few more drinks at pub than planned,left car at pub ,went across road in boyfriends car(him driving) onto his bosses land,to his house,had argument,i walked back to pub to get laptop from boot of my car got scared in the dark and decided to chance it as v v short distance until on private land,police followed me onto private land as i clipped the roundabout,i got distracted by blue lights and went into land owners fence(oops)
breath 88
Mitigating Factors:
phoned fence owner next day and apologised,offered to pay for damage.first offence,work with young people and mentor for youth offending team voluntarily,very remorseful,full co operation.only intended to drive v short distance then onto land where no people would be at that time of night.owner of fence wrote letter to court.
Aggravating Factors:
car windows iced over although not windscreen,clipped roundabout,went into fence.'fell out' of car but was leaning against window in despair and door was opened unexpectedly.

Yes,hired uk traffic law as had seen others taken apart by prosecution.hoped to present good mitigation which in my state(upset)would have been unable to do.

Sentence:
17 month ban,reduced to 13 with course which i will definitely do,100 fine 85 costs and 15 victim surcharge
Yes

Sentence Comments:
very lenient in the circumstances,so i am grateful,definitely worth hiring a solicitor if you are basically of good character to mitigate on your behalf.feel bad that others have recieved worse but am glad that as a stupid mistake i was not punished too harshly and i will certainly never do it again!

Had a couple of drinks for Easter after 2 months of lent and drove 1 mile to drop off my relatives

90mg in breath

Mitigating Factors:
1st offence and no previous convictions

Aggravating Factors:
2 burst tyres following inicent with curb and 1 passenger

Yes

Sentence:
22 months reduced to 17 with course £385 fine (inc costs)
Yes and will take

Sentence Comments:
Think that the sentance was fair and could have been a lot worse without reprsentation and references. I made a mistake and these are the consequences and will learn from them!http://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/have-you-been-caught-convicted-drink-driving/6843.htm

Carried on drinking after a boozy weekend - have an alcohol problem and due to heightened anxiety about personal problems, drank and drove. Stupid I know.

168mcg in breath, yes really.

Mitigating Factors:
first offence and no previous convictions, quiet road, near home, good character, good references, GP report and report from alcohol support worker.

Aggravating Factors:
None

Yes

Sentence:
12 week prison sentence, suspended for 18 months, 80 hours community service, £85 court costs, 36 months ban reduced to 27 with course, supervision for 18 months.

Yes and will take.

Sentence Comments:
I was very very lucky not to be put in custody. I have learnt my lesson and today is one I will never forget, nor remember fondly.

Caught at a petrol station having popped out for some cigarettes. Policeman in petrol station smelt alcohol on my breath and asked for a word...

I blew 66, don't know the BAC.

Mitigating Factors:
Short distance driven (well, about a mile), totally co-operative and polite to police at all times, no previous trouble with the police, early guilty plea.

Aggravating Factors:
None.

No - I asked for the duty solicitor but was told that I didn't qualify because my case didn't warrant a custodial sentence. I was surprised about this and asked if I could just have a quick word with the duty solicitor, which the usher sorted out for me. Had a very brief chat with the solicitor just to make sure I had straight what was going to happen.

Sentence:
17 months ban, offered course which will reduce ban to 13 months. £220 fine, £85 costs and £15 victim surcharge.

Yes, this will cost me around £200.

Sentence Comments:
Not as bad as I'd feared, and I can pay the fine etc. in installments, so although I'll notice it, it won't ruin me. The magistrates seemed to be at great pains to ensure that I could afford the fine.

I can't stress enough how much wearing a suit and being polite helped on court day. I thought everyone would wear a suit to court, or at least a shirt and tie or something, but other than the solicitors etc. I was the only one in the waiting room who'd turned up smartly dressed.

My surname comes late in the alphabet and the list of cases that was posted outside the courtroom had me on second last. As I handed my means form to the usher, she said that she would get me in first.

I think that as much as any of the mitigating factors I've mentioned, making an effort to look respectable and behaving politely in court goes a long way towards the magistrates looking favourably on the defendant.

Had a lot to drink during a rugby club end of season dinner fell asleep at mates about 3 woke up about 6ish walked around then decided i needed to get home drove home verred across the road hit the wheel trims into the road copper saw and pulled me over

Breath 75ug

Mitigating Factors:
not sure i have any apart from co operative with the police

Aggravating Factors:
previous criminal conviction for assualt 6 months ago
none as yet

Sentence:
due in court in june not sure what to expect a big fine and a ban of 18 months i guess...

Any help available.... would you recommend legal representation ??

Had a lot to drink during a rugby club end of season dinner fell asleep at mates about 3 woke up about 6ish walked around then decided i needed to get home drove home verred across the road hit the wheel trims into the road copper saw and pulled me over

Breath reading was 102 at the police station but I was charged for refusing to provide the spicemen on the road side

Mitigating Factors:
Clean licence, no previous offences, suffering from difficult family situation and depression

Aggravating Factors:
Assaulting a police officer while on duty
Yes

Sentence:
due for a second hearing on 15th of June. Presentence is low level community order or fine and disqualification from 16 to 24 months

Couldn't find how to edit the message as I copied one of the previous ones and forgot to delete the description.
Drove to school to pick children up after having a bottle of wine, was stopped by the police
Breath reading was 102 at the police station but I was charged for refusing to provide the spicemen on the road side and they've never mentioned the alcohol level at all.

Mitigating Factors:
Clean licence, no previous offences, suffering from difficult family situation and depression, pleaded guilty for both offences

Aggravating Factors:
Assaulting a police officer while on duty
Yes

Sentence:
due for a second hearing on 15th of June. Pre sentence is low level community order or fine and disqualification from 16 to 24 months[/QUOTE]

Had a few drinks felt i was fine to drive.Had a headlight out (i didn't know) stopped by police.Asked if i had had any alcohol i said yes probably should have said no

Breath test at station blew 58mg and 56mg so 56mg was my lowest reading.

Mitigating Factors:
Self employed so difficult to get to my business due to distance.Good character no previous record .Pleaded guilty straight away and would be willing to pay a higher fine to reduce ban to the minimum 12 months.Even the judge said i seemed to have had a drink too many.

Aggravating Factors:
None i co-operated fully

No but i used the duty solicitor who went in with me and spoke on my behalf she was very good but don't know if everyone is entitled to thi?s so i wouldn't depend on it.Get to the court very early and ask an usher who is the duty solicitor.

Sentence:
12 months (9 after the course) £300 fine

Yes and i will take it

Sentence Comments:
My sentence was in the 12 to 16 months bracket .So couldn't of done any better so i am pleased.
Dress smart and be nice at all times.I would get a solicitor if you can afford it and you might get legal aid ,i think they help especially if you have a very high reading.The lady in before me for the same offence but a reading of 65mg got 17 months and so the guidelines are not set in stone.

Don't beat yourself up we made a mistake and its ourselves we have hurt the most so don't worry what people think.good luck to anyone awaiting court i feel for you and if you have any qs please ask.

Was going thru a bad patch after my gran and granddad died, had a few beers, decided stupidly to drive to shop to get more beers. pulled over for speeding, smelt alcohol on breath, breathalysed me and was over limit.

Breath lowest reading 64. Blood test 136mg

Mitigating Factors:
out of character, going thru bad patch. cooperated fully with police.

Aggravating Factors:
2nd drink driving offence in 10yrs, the first 5yrs ago

none

Sentence:
36 months ban, £350 fine

No

Sentence Comments:
think ban length was too long did't take any personal circumstances into consideration. would have liked to do the course.

Went out after being dumped, had a few drinks and then had a panic attack and had to go home. Caught because the sunroof in my car exploded and caused me to crash out of fright.

Breath 73

Mitigating Factors:
Cooperated fully with police.

Aggravating Factors:
None

None

Sentence:
20 (15) months ban, £200 fine

Yes

Sentence Comments:
I made no effort to defend myself and just let them do their jobs, was just another thing to add to the list of things that had gone wrong.

Had a couple of pints with mates, was going to walk home, but decided to drive instead. stopped after some cock in a range rover had said id hit him (hadnt)

Breath 46.. Urine 139 per 100
Mitigating Factors:
Cooperated fully with police. No previous convictions or arrests. good character referances. short distance driven. relatively low reading.

Aggravating Factors:
Well as i said they stopped me because someone said id hit them. however they didnt charge me with anything related that . just excess alchohol. Solicitor managed to cease all mention of that claiming it was only heresay, so when came to be sentenced it was agreed there was no aggravating factors

Yes. Good investigation of case beforehand, including procedures, and well worth it considering if id of gone myself i might not have been able to get all mention of the alleged collision removed!

Sentence:
12 month Ban. £100 fine. plus 86 quid costs

Yes

Sentence Comments:
Best outcome really. could have challenged the procedure but the cost was astonomical with only a 50/50 chance of success at best. proably would of removed some of the mitigating factors and added aggravating ones. Very Pleased that i got the absolute minimum. worth getting reprentation with you at court. even if its just damage control

Had a marriage braking argument with the (now ex) wife and drove off while unter the limit. She finds out that I'm getting drunk in the pub then sends me a message saying our daughter has suddenly started being ill and telling me to get home ASAP. Stupidly I drive home and am arrested on my doorstep after parking the car.

Breath 95

Mitigating Factors:
Cooperated fully with police. Only drove because I was told my daughter was ill.

Aggravating Factors:
None

Solicitor.

Sentence:
24 (18) months ban, 80 hours Community Service

Yes

Sentence Comments:
Was totally over-the-top and didn't seem to take into account the circumstances which made me drive while over the limit. No consideration given to police statements saying I was driving normally with cause for concern until they saw my number plate. Has lost me my job and been the major factor into turning into a borderline alcoholic.

went to court today charged for failing to provide.

£200 fine and 20mth ban:( reduced to 15mth if i take the course:) it could have been worse.

thanks for all the advice

Had the second court hearing yesterday. Charged for failing to provide and assulting a police officer. 24 (18 with a course) months ban, 9 months supervision and 85 costs. Not bad. But my solicitor was sure I will get 12-16 months ban but judges went to another grade:(

Can't understand how could it happen. I got 24 months ban & 9 months supervision for fail to provide. At the same day at the same court the young guy had 4 offences: DD, driving without lisence, driving without insurance and crashing the car which was so bad that he was lucky to survive. Plus he admitted he took the car without it's owner permission. We had the same solicitor. And all he got for that is 12 months ban and 12 months supervision....

Drunk a bottle of wine and half a bottle of champagne.

Breath test at station blew 115 and 106. 106 was the reading given in court.

Mitigating Factors:
Recent miscarriage, followed by news that close family member was expecting and is due around the same time we were. Negative pregnancy test the morning of the offence.
Clean licence for 12+ years, no previous convictions.
Letter from doctors explaining pregnancy situation
Co-operative with the police at all stages.
Pleaded guilty to police straightaway.

Aggravating Factors:
Flattened a small fence as crashed into it and popped front tyre (as a result of the accident).

Yes, worth every penny (cost £300). He did a great job in preparing us and delivering the mitigating circumstances. Helped negotiate sentace with probation team and directly with magistrates.

Sentence:
60 Hours unpaid work (community service)
23 month ban - will be reduced to 18 months with the driving course
No fine as got community service, due to high breath reading.
£105 court costs.

Yes and will take it

Sentence Comments:
Very light we thought, but pleased given mitigating circumstances.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off