DRINK DRIVING SENTENCES

Convicted Driver Insurance
Been to court today 26/08/2020

Brief Description of Offence:
Drunk couple of beers and 2 x vodka monsters decide to go pick wife up from work knew i was doing wrong turned car round dropped cigarette hit parked car

Breath Alcohol Level and Reading Type:
Failed road side test blew 66 at station

Mitigating Factors:
Short distance driven , very compliant with the police and showed remorse , never been in trouble with police before , clean driving record

Aggravating Factors:
Hit a parked car causing rear end damage

Legal Representation at Court?:
None

Sentence:
14 month ban reduced by 25% for taking course £484 total fines

Offered the Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course?:
Yes will take.

Sentence Comments:
Went into court total mess from setting foot inside door magistartes commented how upset i was and could tell how out of charater this was for me took letters from freinds and work trust me they do help they took time out to read them infront of me , magistrate even said with how much remorse you are showing i am going to forget the RTC you had and treat this as just a driving while over the limit , over all i am very pleased with the outcome of the case i was expecting top end of the scale of the second bracket of 22 months , also dressed smart shirt , tie , trousers and shoes got a comment of how smart i looked as well every one else that day they had seen said they was wearing tracky bottoms , trainers and t-shirts , didnt bother with duty solicitor decided to speak for myself even thou this was hard from behind all the tears

That was a decent result. The minimum should have been 17 months, so I think they took into account the delay in banning you and that you have not driven since the accident.

Hey All- does anyone know how long after your court date/ sentencing it took for your ban to show up on the DVLA website?

Since the start of the Pandemic, I had started to drink alcohol as a source of comfort when my son was staying at his fathers, as I felt lonely not going about my day to day life. On this particular occasion (end of June) I had drank two bottles of Prosecco in my home and decided to go and visit a friend (such a stupid/reckless thing to do I know and wish I could go back and stop myself) I got in my car and proceeded to make the journey, as I was on a dual carriageway I approached a roundabout and the next thing I knew, I was flying over it and smashed into a road sign. I then continued to drive on (completely unaware of the damage on my vehicle, 3 blown tyres and smashed up front end) within moments of this I could hear sirens, the police pulled me over, breathalysed me and subsequently arrested me.

Blood Alcohol Level and Reading Type:

Breath 85ug

Mitigating Factors:

No previous criminal convictions
Single mother
Full time Civil Servant
Short Distance Driven - 1 mile
Early guilty plea

Aggravating Factors:

Severe damage to my car from accident
Attempting to leave the scene of an accident
6 speeding points on driving license

Yes (£600)

Sentence:

17 month driving ban
£579 court costs

Yes, which I will complete to reduce ban to 13.5 months

Sentence Comments:

As lenient as possible given the high reading and accident. My solicitor prepared me to expect at least a 22 month ban and possible community order. I think it helped my case by showing deep remorse as I was very tearful. I dressed smartly wearing a midi skirt, matching top and blazer, I was shocked to discover most of the defendants at court wearing tracksuits and trainers, even women! They probably thought I was a solicitor!!
I also wrote the court an apology letter and obtained character references from my friends to demonstrate how out of character it was for me. My solicitor done an excellent job with the mitigating factors. It is definitely worth hiring a solicitor, if you’re not as confident like me to speak for yourself.

I have definitely learnt from this and will not drink drive again, this is the biggest mistake of my life and can only be thankful I didn’t hurt anyone.
£5,000 my car will cost to fix as the insurance will not pay due to the DUI. The person who I have let down the most is my son, as he doesn’t understand why we have to catch buses now.

Been to court today 24.9.20

Had a few drinks with a family member. Ended up drinking alot of red wine and thinking I could drive home 😫😥

Blood Alcohol Level and Reading Type:
122 in breath

Mitigating Factors:
Long clean driving licence, short distance driven (.7 miles), no other criminal convictions, early guilty plea, compliant with the police, stressed due to work and looking after poorly parent

Aggravating Factors:
Crashed into a stationary van, very high reading

Yes - although it transpired my Solicitor was the duty solicitor for the day. Felt a bit ripped off especially when we were disturbed so he could see another case (which was worse than mine). Solicitors costs £500.

Sentence:
26 month ban, 180 hours CS to be taken over 18 months, £85 court costs

Yea and will take the course. This will reduce my ban to 20 months.

Sentence Comments:
Happy with my sentence I was expecting a higher ban and a suspended sentence.
Arrived to court and was very nervous. Was told i would be facing the District Judge. I panicked at the thought of this but was told by my Solicitor and probation officer that it's much better to have the District Judge than a Magistrate. Went in and had the charges read then had to speak to the Probation Officer before sentancing. He was absolutley brilliant. Went through some options and it was deemed I didnt need an intervention or any other support.
I will never drink drive again. I am glad it is over and can draw a line under it. Happy to give advice to anyone going through this. I have been so stressed out but in all honesty all it wasnt as bad as I thought. This forum has been really helpful to me and felt I really needed to document this.

Reactions: TPR
Thanks for sharing your experience. It reads as a fair result given that you had an accident as well as a high reading.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It reads as a fair result given that you had an accident as well as a high reading.
Thank you. It was put forward by my Solicitor and Probation Officer the long wait due to COVID. My original court date was the beginning of April. I believe the District Judge took this into consideration. I also had a really well written reference from a fellow co worker (I'm a Manager at a GP practice) which I really believe helped my cause.

Reactions: TPR
You will have to have a medical at the end of your ban, and DVLA usually write to your doctor for information. You will be well placed to see that it is returned promptly!

You will have to have a medical at the end of your ban, and DVLA usually write to your doctor for information. You will be well placed to see that it is returned promptly!
Yes I thought so. It wasn't mentioned in court but after reading on here I realised that would be the case.

It doesn't come up at court because it is not a part of their conviction and punishment function.
DVLA should write to you in a couple of weeks, pointing out that you are disqualified. Many people see it, think "I know that!" and throw it in the bin.... but it goes on to say.."and because your reading was in excess or 87 in breath you are a high risk offender and will therefore have to submit to a medical before you can get your licence back."

Ah right thanks that explains it then. I will have to cross that bridge when I come to it. When I was charged with drink driving i contacted my GP in a very high anxiety state and showed alot of remorse and got support from them. No previous consultations regarding drink problems with my GP.

Drinks after work, altercation with colleague got into my car and crashed car in ditch, no one else involved.

Blood Alcohol Level and Reading
93 on roadside but got refusal to provide specimen at station

Mitigating Factors:
No previous
Didn't refuse deliberately, tried 3 times and offered bloods which was refused by officers due to being in the van for over a hour.. anxiety and panic disorder was put forward by duty solicitor after i plead guilty.
Shown plenty of remorse throughout and co operated with police

Aggravating Factors:
Accident

Yes duty solicitor (who was brilliant!)

Sentence:
Charge for refusal to provide
16 month ban - £239 fines and costs

Yes - will reduce ban to around 1 year.

Sentence Comments:
I think it was the best I couldve hoped for.. considering everything.. it couldve been much worse all round.. I believe it to be fair.

Duty solicitor was brilliant.. 100% recommend saving your money. Court was as I was expecting.. I think i spoken 4 times in all.. for my name, address, DOB and finances.

Drinks after work, altercation with colleague got into my car and crashed car in ditch, no one else involved.

Blood Alcohol Level and Reading
93 on roadside but got refusal to provide specimen at station

Mitigating Factors:
No previous
Didn't refuse deliberately, tried 3 times and offered bloods which was refused by officers due to being in the van for over a hour.. anxiety and panic disorder was put forward by duty solicitor after i plead guilty.
Shown plenty of remorse throughout and co operated with police

Aggravating Factors:
Accident

Yes duty solicitor (who was brilliant!)

Sentence:
Charge for refusal to provide
16 month ban - £239 fines and costs

Yes - will reduce ban to around 1 year.

Sentence Comments:
I think it was the best I couldve hoped for.. considering everything.. it couldve been much worse all round.. I believe it to be fair.

Duty solicitor was brilliant.. 100% recommend saving your money. Court was as I was expecting.. I think i spoken 4 times in all.. for my name, address, DOB and finances.
Wish I had of used the duty solicitor. Feel like I wasted £500. I did pay this back in March mind just after the dreadful event.

Wish I had of used the duty solicitor. Feel like I wasted £500. I did pay this back in March mind just after the dreadful event.
Rverthe best outcome for themselves.. I would not have been able to afford legal representation and was not expecting anything near what I got in court. He was very efficient and helped me alot

I would not of been able to afford legal representation. I would've if I could.. I was surprised at how efficient he was and really put me at ease. Different people have different experiences i guess.. its really hit and miss on here.. I dont think I've came across the same sentence for people as yet.. I do believe they take everything into account for each individual sentence and everyone's is going to differ slightly.. I hope you're ok Lizzie? X

Got my court case on Tuesday, and really worried.
Basically got pulled over after erratic driving, and blew 125. I had been at a friend's house and have no idea why I thought I could drive. Worse decision of my life.
No previous convictions or driving offences, but have only held my licence for 16 months.

I'm expecting a 3 year ban, fine and community service. But the thought of prison is sending me crazy.
I'm asking if anyone thinks prison is likely?

Thanks

Basically got pulled over after erratic driving, and blew 125. I had been at a friend's house and have no idea why I thought I could drive. Worse decision of my life.
No previous convictions or driving offences, but have only held my licence for 16 months.

I'm expecting a 3 year ban, fine and community service. But the thought of prison is sending me crazy.

Thanks
As there was no accident, prison is most unlikely in your case, but you can expect a community penalty of quite a lot of hours!
Your ban can be reduced by up to 25% if you are offered. And complete, a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course. If the magistrates do not offer is, make sure to ask them to be allowed to do one, it cannot be offered once your case is finished in court.

I'm willing to do anything, other than prison.

Hoping the judge will look at the rubbish year I've had and the steps I've taken since the incident, like alcohol support groups and speaking to my gp and see that prison would do me no good. But the worry of it is just eating away at me!

Thanks
Hi please try not to worry. Like you I made a very stupid mistake (blew similar 122). In my experience and after speaking to lots of people you will not go to prison. I got a 20 month ban (reduced due to the course) and 180 hours community service. I was expecting a 3 year ban at least. I was so worried about court but it went really quickly and the staff were really nice. I have had my induction for CP and again my case manager was lovely. I got offered an online course do do which will be taken off my CP. Around 30 hours.

I'm willing to do anything, other than prison.

Hoping the judge will look at the rubbish year I've had and the steps I've taken since the incident, like alcohol support groups and speaking to my gp and see that prison would do me no good. But the worry of it is just eating away at me!
When are you due in court?

When are you due in court?
Tuesday is the court date.
I have hired a solicitor and got some really nice, truthful character references.

My fear is if I get a prison sentence, I will loose my home (partner left me to pay for the mortgage alone) as well as my jobs.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off