DRINK DRIVING SENTENCES

Convicted Driver Insurance
Brief Description of Offence:
Saturday night after quite a few drinks with my mate decided to go to his place. As a result stopped by police. They thought I wouldn't stop on red traffic light. Which I did, but was enough for them to switch they lights on and stop me...

Breath Alcohol Level and Reading Type:
Failed breath test at roadside (wasn't told the level), 62ug breath test in police station.

Mitigating Factors:
Mitigation letter with deep remorse, reference letter from GP (friend of mine), no previous convictions or points or anything else.

Aggravating Factors:
None. But Magistrate (woman) repeated many times how dangerous I was!!! My level was nearly double..etc...

Legal Representation at Court?:

Duty solicitor. Was helpful as took pressure off me and also represented me in court.

Sentence:

17 months ban (with 17 weeks reduction after DDHS, £525 fine plus £85 prosecutor fee and £52 victims surcharge ( I was told in the court that it is the way government makes money from these cases, even were there no victims they charge anyway).

Offered the Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course?:
Yes (TTC provider). I've told duty solicitor I would like to attend. You have to make your decision before hearing...

I finished work at 12 on a Saturday afternoon and drank 8 pints and missed my train so drove
Blood Alcohol Level and Reading Type:
Breath 104

Mitigating Factors:
Clean license and a long absence from any court proceedings
Aggravating Factors:
Member of the public phoned the police saying I was swerving all of the road
No
Sentence:
26 month ban £280 fine and 100 hours com service. 18 months with the course
Offered the Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course?: Yes doing the course be stupid not too

Sentence Comments:

Had a couple of drinks, thought I was ok to drive

Breath 62mg

Mitigating Factors:
long clean driving record, no previous drink driving / criminal convictions, co-operation with the police, short distance driven

Aggravating Factors:
None

Yes

Sentence:
17 months, £380 fine, £120 costs

Yes (intend to take)

Sentence Comments:
Could have been worse. Get a solicitor if you can as it does help.

Description of Offence:
Drove to friend’s house for help while having a panic attack, due to suicidal thoughts (1 mile away from house) and crashed into 3 parked cars.

Was taken to hospital and treated for my injuries. Feeling unwell I was confused by the blood sample request and foolishly thought that I would be offered a second breath test at the police station, but I soon realised that this was not the case and I really do wish that I had accepted now.

N/A

Mitigating Factors:

VERY remorseful
Polite and co-operative with officers and hospital staff
Admitted I had consumed alcohol to officers.
Early hours during week night so no civilians around
Very short distance travelled
No passengers
Fully insured – which has covered all those involved
Asked to speak to support workers after getting released and have continued to see them regularly.
Provided road side breath test and was fully compliant
Take full responsibility of what happened and very remorseful of the fact I was not thinking straight during the panic attack, I know this is no excuse.
Wrote letters to those involved apologising.
Have character references.
Now receiving counselling regarding my mental health issues.
GP has upped dosage of anti-depressants and has wrote me a note saying so.

Agrivating Factors

Failed to supply sample with no reason
Crashed into parked cars, wrote 3 off and hit a post after spinning 50 yards down road - officer said it he has never seen anyone walk away after a crash like that.
Previous drink driving offence in 3 years

Sentence

3 year ban
£250 fine
12 Month community order (not community service)
Option to do drink driving course taking 25% of ban off

Duty solicitor and probation was great. Very lucky/happy with the sentence!

Description of offence
Was going through some historical abuse stuff from growing up.
Whilst at the rugby I decided to go on an absolute bender and get in my car and drive home.

Stopped by cops after crossing double white lines and was breathalysed.

Reading
77 in breath (Scottish limit is 22)

Mitigation
Sheriff delayed for social work reports
Otherwise "impeccable" character
No previous offences
Guilty plea at first opportunity
Pro actively sought help through counselling and stopped drinking
Planned to leave car at friends house and stay at theirs but they didn't answer the door

Aggravating
High reading
Long distance travelled (about 25 miles)
In a profession where I should know better

Sentence
20 month ban and £800 fine

Description of offence
Was going through some historical abuse stuff from growing up.
Whilst at the rugby I decided to go on an absolute bender and get in my car and drive home.

Stopped by cops after crossing double white lines and was breathalysed.

Reading
77 in breath (Scottish limit is 22)

Mitigation
Sheriff delayed for social work reports
Otherwise "impeccable" character
No previous offences
Guilty plea at first opportunity
Pro actively sought help through counselling and stopped drinking
Planned to leave car at friends house and stay at theirs but they didn't answer the door

Aggravating
High reading
Long distance travelled (about 25 miles)
In a profession where I should know better

Sentence
20 month ban and £800 fine
Robob see you wrote in a profession where you should no better. I’m in that position and going to face an investigation from my professional body alth don’t work in that role but was on the register. If this applies to you take advice before you do anything with your professional body

Robob see you wrote in a profession where you should no better. I’m in that position and going to face an investigation from my professional body alth don’t work in that role but was on the register. If this applies to you take advice before you do anything with your professional body
Already getting advice from a representative but thank you anyway January

Took a car from a house party drunk (went joyriding) came back and was promptly arrested for twoc and drink driving.

Blood Alcohol Level and Reading:
blood level I dont remember exactly but it was in the lowest bracket (I'd sobered up a lot by time I got to the station)

Mitigating Factors:

No criminal record, director of multiple business

Aggravating Factors:
TWOC, drink driving (although this was the second time I'd been in court for drink driving as the first time my solicitor got the evidence against me thrown out and they withdraw the charges, I plead not guilty, although this was mentioned in court it could not be used against me)

Ye

Sentence:
12 month ban, £1400 total fine + court costs, community order for a year (I have to see a probation officer once a month)

Yes completed and got ban down to 9 months

Sentence Comments:
Has been a nightmare. But taught me my lesson as the first time I was charged but got off it didnt. I will not drink drive again. Oh and they didnt even put the dr10 on my license which is a bonus lol, presumably an admin error but I'm not complaining.

Brief Description of Offence
Had two pints and several large glasses of wine, then decided to drive to shop for more wine. Hit parked car and was flagged down by car owners neighbors who then called the police.

Blood alcohol level and reading

78 at the roadside and 84 both times at the station with breath

Mitigating factors
Clean licence, no criminal record. Long history of charity work. Admitted guilt as soon as police arrived and throughout process.

Aggravating factors
Hit parked car
Witness told police I tried to drive off, I didn't, I drove to safe place to pull over.
High reading and was visibly drunk

Legal representation at court
Yes, local solicitor

Sentence
18 month ban from driving, reduced to 13.5 with course. £400 fine + £85 court costs and £45 victim surcharge so £525 in total.

Sentence comments
I was very lucky as got close to bottom of guidelines despite high reading and accident. I don't intend to drink again ever. Dressed smartly, was polite to everyone at court and got some good character references.
Told work the day after it happened, fully expecting disciplinary action/ immediate dismissal but they have actually been very supportive and told me it will not affect my role.

Had several drinks at a friends house (2 brandy and coke) at about 9pm to 11pm, also had 2 beers from 5pm to 7pm on the same day after work, left my friends at 11 pm to drive home, I thought I was fine, I overtook a slow car going 20mph in a 30mph road which was a legal manoeuvre due to the hatched marking allowing overtakes, police saw the overtake and decided to check me out and breathalyse me as precaution.

I blew 42 on the roadside and 41 in the station.

Mitigating Factors:

Good character, 2 character references, criminal history over 10 years ago, no previous drink driving offences.

Aggravating Factors:
None.

No - if pleading guilty I wouldn't pay huge amounts to a solicitor to defend you, do your research, present yourself correctly, write your mitigating circumstances and try to read it in court to show you are sorry and for them to see the remorse first hand. obviously I blew a low reading so you may differ blowing over 100u or having accidents.

Sentence:
12 month ban, 480 fine.

Yes, got ban down to 9 months

Sentence Comments:
awaiting the court date wasn't a great time, have been drink driving for a long time now and I have finally felt the fire first hand, I will never drink drive again, lucky I was at the lower end not blowing a high reading, please learn guys. one love and wish you all the best... remember life goes on.

Drank a colossal amount of neat vodka (bad times) and decided to go down to Sainsbury's to get more. Smashed into the side of a very angry white van man who called me every name under the sun and threatened to knock me out. Panicked and sped off about 100 yards away from the scene then walked back cuz I shit myself that I'd hit n run. Wrote off my car and gouged a massive dent in his body work and door.

Mitigating Factors:

No previous. Short distance. Lost my job (Sainsbury's delivery driver). Lost my car (Written off). Fully insured. Clean Licence. Very compliant with police. Remorseful. EARLY GUILTY PLEA.

Aggravating Factors:

Some people get stopped. Some hit objects/parked cars. Mine was an actual accident that endangered someone else. I drove off.

No - pleaded guilty to the white van man, the police and the magistrate.

Sentence:

12 month ban (9 months with course) + £85 fine + £80 court costs + £32 victim charge. (£197 total cost). Don't forget I'm now unemployed so my income is £0! Hence the low fine.

Yes

Sentence Comments:

As lenient as possible. Don't bother with a solicitor if you know you did it, not even Duty. The rest is about damage control. The Magistrate will be dealing with chavs in baseball caps and tracksuits--one hand down the front of their trousers, speaking in a fake West Indian accent all day. Be a breath of fresh air! Don't quite get how a 75 reading landed me 12 months, thought the minimum was 17 months for that tier. She appreciated that I've been punished enough. I've lost a lot. Pay attention to the mitigation factors on this site. Magistrates are following a formula with very little room for manoeuvre. No matter how high the reading you won't go to prison if it's your first.

Dannyjam, where were you convicted... as in which part of the U.K.?

Scotland and Northern Ireland often go for 12 months, but you are right, for a court in England that is a very good result, especially with a RTC. 17-22 months is the guideline.

Caught sleeping in car over limit, charged with drunk in charge.

Failed breath test, reading 52.

Mitigating Factors:
Likelihood of vehicle being driven low, I am a student which went in my favour.

I was very remorseful.

Full cooperation with police.

Aggravating Factors:
None.

Duty solicitor.

Sentence:
10 points, triggering a totting-up ban of 6 months. £80 fine.

Not applicable.

Sentence Comments:
I wore a suit, one of the magistrates commented that not one person they had seen before me was wearing appropriate clothing.

reading 94
first offence
court not interested in any cicumstances
23 months ban reduced by 23 weeks by the course
450 fine
what did u do what did u blow. I blew 100 first offence but smashed into another car n it was in the afternoon so scared about going to court

ief Description:
Argument with ex, after a few drinks, got in car and drove and crashed into a parked car

Initial Roadside breathalyser Was 122, taken to hospital where bloods taken, 141mg alcohol per 100ml official reading.

Mitigating Factors
Never been in trouble good character honest with police clean driving record

Aggravating Factors:
Causing an accident
Yes, paid for own solicitor which I would recommend

Sentence:
Length of disqualification, 12 months, 300 fine, 85 court costs and 70 victim surcharge

Yes, will attend to bring sentence to 9 month

Sentence Comments:
Very lucky with length of ban as was expecting 18 to 24 month ban, solicitor and character references make a difference, dressed smart

ief Description:
Arrested at home after being reported by a local person leaving the pub near my house.

No roadside. Taken to the station and recorded 92.

Mitigating Factors
Never been in trouble good character honest with police clean driving record

Aggravating Factors:
none

Sentence:
Length of disqualification :- 20 months. Reduced to around 15 (it’s not quite 25%). Fine of £3500

Yes, thankfully attended a couple of months after my conviction.

Sentence Comments:
I had a solicitor representing me as I plead not guilty due to post driving consumption. I had the report from formecon that collaborated my side of the story. The person that saw me driving had just exited the pub and was very drunk themselves and assaulted me.
whatever, none of this caught traction with the judge (not a magistrate-he was a daily visiting judge apparently....) and he found me guilty.
The real trouble started at work. As I had decided not to tell my employer anything as o felt ‘innocent till proven guilty’. How wrong i was....
My employer stated that I had breached all sorts of contractual rules and I very nearly lost my job. It was finally decided that I could keep my job but wouldn’t get a bonus / pay rise or promotion for 2 years. (Don’t feel too sorry for me, I work for a bank)
The point being, you can have as strong a case as possible - the court will look very negatively at you. You won’t ‘get away with it’.
more importantly- I think it’s best to very honest with your employer from the outset. Our crime is fairly common, most people are quite sympathetic, whilst rightly judging us poorly. Most of my friends have stated they have in the past, or currently, drink and drive. Obviously not to the extent of D&D. But, like most who haven’t been through this mill... will have 2 or 3 pints and look at the car...
I found the course immensely valuable. When I looked at my drink driving history... this was always going to happen. If I’m honest - I’ve drunk driven to an extent for 25 years.
Finally. I’m quite happy with my sentence. More than that. I’m actually glad. I’m pleased. I feel like I did actually get away with it.
I could very easily have killed someone.
I feel quite lucky that I have saved myself and another family that pain with a short ban and a fine.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off