DRINK DRIVING SENTENCES

Convicted Driver Insurance

Drinkdriving.org

Staff member
This thread has been created in order for you to add details of your drink driving conviction and subsequent sentence. It has been created as a means of a quick and easy look up and comparison for different sentences and intoxication levels.

Simply highlight the text below and press ctrl+c, click 'post reply', then press ctrl+v to paste the text into your reply. Once you have done this, substitute what appears after the bold text with your own replies.

Copy text below

Brief Description of Offence:
e.g Had a couple of drinks, thought I was ok to drive OR had argument with spouse, stupidly got into the car to drive to a friends etc (keep it brief)

Blood Alcohol Level and Reading Type:
Breath/Blood/Urine e.g Breath 70ug OR refusal to provide specimen

Mitigating Factors:
Factors that the sentencing court would look favourable upon. e.g long clean driving record, no previous drink driving / criminal convictions, co-operation with the police, short distance driven, driving due to an emergency etc.

Aggravating Factors:
Factors that the sentencing court view as making the offence more serious. e.g involved in an accident, police chase, leaving scene of an accident, un co-operative with the police, previous drink driving / criminal convictions etc

Legal Representation at Court?:
Yes/No

Sentence:
Length of disqualification, fine and costs amount, community service, electronic tag, probation, prison? e.g 14 month ban, £200 fine, £60 costs, 180 hours community service.

Offered the Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course?:
Yes/No (if yes do you intend to take and complete the course?)

Sentence Comments:
Any comments on the sentence given? too lenient, too harsh, what you expected? (keep it brief)

Please click here to share your emotions and other reactions both before, during and after the event.

I woke up on the day in question still a little drunk from the night before. I drove to my local pub at lunchtime, drank continuously, and used cocaine until about 10pm when I decided to drive into the nearby town. My bar tab suggested that I consumed something in the order of 20 pints of Guinness. I had also taken 3 grams of cocaine throughout the day. I crashed into a parked car attempting to get out of the car park. The police were then called.

The lower of my two readings was 159µg/100ml breath, over four and a half times the legal limit. Fortunately I was not tested for drugs.

Mitigating Factors:
It was quite clear for the proceeding few years, to everyone except me, that I was an alcoholic, therefore in need of help rather than punishment. The realisation of my situation is the one positive to come out of the whole experience.

Aggravating Factors:
Obviously the sheer level of intoxication was the main issue, combined with the fact that I crashed into a parked car and had only had a licence for three months.

As a custodial sentence was clearly very likely, I instructed my solicitor to prepare mitigation who in turn instructed a barrister to represent me in court. With a report from a top consultant psychiatrist confirming that I was a chronic alcoholic and unable to stop/control my drinking, mitigation was laid before the court.

Sentence:
I was sentenced to three months imprisonment, suspended for 12; I was given 12 months probation, a curfew order for three months, a ban of 24 months, a re-test and a fine of £3000. Although not part of the sentence, my own costs were in the region of £4000 making the whole episode very expensive.

I was ordered to attend the probation service "drink impaired drivers" course which runs for 13 weeks and lasts for two and a half hours each week. It was not optional and did not reduce the length of my ban.

Sentence Comments:
Although fairly harsh I was relieved not to have been sent to prison. As addiction often plays a large part in some drink drive cases there needs to be more help available to those who are not able to access private treatment. I would still be drinking today had I not been able to fund my treatment.

Am replying on behalf of my boyfriend who was convicted 4 months ago...

Went to see a friend at the pub who was emmigrating and obviously got carried away but said he felt ok and left for home.

His breath reading was 97.

Mitigating Factors:
Had no previous convictions, clean licence, was a semi emergency after receiving a call from myself due to feeling very unwell. He assured me he was ok to drive so came to help me.

Aggravating Factors:
Overtaking an emergency vehicle didn't help! Think the distance he drove went against him also (around 8-10 miles). He was also reported to have been staggering as he left the car to speak to the police.

Yes

Sentence:
20 month ban (reduced to 15 with the course), £450 fine, £40 victims charge.

Yes - he is attending at the end of the month.

Sentence Comments:
Definately more leniant than expected with regards to the length of the ban although the fine was a lot higher than expected. Also with solicitors fees and the course fee, it proved to be a very expensive afternoon out for him. I really hope he learns from it.

Hope that helps. :)

Last edited:
Had a few drinks the night before (didn't stop drinking till 0230)

Blood
Alcohol Level and Reading Type:

Breath 64ug
Mitigating Factors:
long clean licencs admitted offence at first oppertunity
Aggravating Factors:
No aggravating factors
Yes
Sentence:
1 Year ban, £270 fine
Yes, Have already completed the course and will have my ban reduced by 25% meaning my ban will only last 9 months

Sentence Comments:
Thought the sentance was ok minimum ban and quite low fine

Had two large (hime measure) glasses of red plonk on a completely empty stomach. Had been busy all day and no time to eat. Call from wife to say she had been delayed at work and could I go and collect our son from swimming (he is 10 and it was 9 at night in January). Drove a mile and got pulled for defective brake light. The rest is history

Blew 66 at cop shop

Mitigating Factors:
30 years with a clean licence (no speeding points ever and so on) .

Aggravating Factors:
None

Yes

Sentence:
17 months ban reduced by 25% if I attend the course, £200 fine (I think my accountant and solicitor did a good job with the figures) + about £300 solicitors fees. Glad I had him to hold my hand though - made it much easier.

Yes. Volunteered for it. Attending in September (another £159)

Sentence Comments:
No worse than I expected

(Emotions when caught drink driving)

Shock!! Some GBH of the ear at home didn't help, resigned to my fate now. Shold get my licence back in the new year. Managed perfectly well with public transport, but I work from home, so lucky

Had argument with mates, drove off came back 2 mins later to find police there.

breath 96ug

Mitigating Factors:
No previous offences, complied with police, only minor points for a bald tyre on licence.

Aggravating Factors:
Staggered as i got out of car and slurred speach.

no

Sentence:
3 month curfew order, £60 fine and 24 month ban.

Yes intend to take very soon will reduce my ban by 25% to 18 months.

Sentence Comments:
What i expected, bit harsh with the curfew order though.

Had four glasses of wine with friends at lunchtime. Stopped drinking for an hour then drove thninking I would be ok but wasn/t.

Bagged at roadside and was positive however at station was too panicky and couldn't blow enought into their machine. Wasn't offered a blood test therefore done for failure to provide.

Mitigating Factors:
Was described as very vocal and cooperative. First offence.

Aggravating Factors:
I was getting kids from school so this looked very bad.

Yes

Sentence:
1 1/2 year ban reduced to 13 mths with rehabilitation course. Court costs £350 as plead not guilty several times and fine £150.

Yes
Sentence Comments:
I suppose it was a fair sentence.

(Emotions when caught drink driving)Please click here to share your emotions and other reactions both before, during and after the event.

went out for a drink on the friday night, after returning home had a phone call in the early hours from my daughter upset, stupidly got in the car to go to her

Breath 85ug

Mitigating Factors:
clean driving record, no previous convictions, co-operation with police, the fact that i was trying to get to my daughter who was upset.

Aggravating Factors:
I hit a parked car, which in turn hit the car next to it, little damage to second car, and hit a wall

Duty Solicitor

Sentence:
18 month disqualification, £190 fine

yes am intending on doing the course, it will reduce my disqualification by 4 months 2 weeks, making it 13 months and two weeks to go

Sentence Comments:
i was expecting worse than i got, i'm a new driver had only been driving for 6 months, they didn't say anything about having to re sit my test, just to re apply for my license 56 days before my ban ends, am hoping that i don't have to re sit test, i'm wondering whether a disqualification means points too, if anyone could advise me on this would be greatful

nobody could be more disappointed in myself than i am right now, but feeling better now that i know what i'm facing, won't be doing it again

Jinx

Had a couple of arguments after drinking on the night in question stupidly decided to drive out to clear my head realised what i was doing less then 3 miles from home decided to return home as the effects of drinking had begun to take effect stopped by unmarked police car for driving to slowly.

Breath 123 Mg

Mitigating Factors:
First offence good character references early guilty plea
letter from Gp

Aggravating Factors:
previous unaddressed Alcohol problems

Yes

Sentence:
Length of disqualification, 28 months £85 costs, 180 hours community service.

Yes and intend to take course as ban will be reduced by 7 months

Sentence Comments:
really the best i could have expected terrified of receiving a custodial sentence which would have resulted in job loss.lesson learned the hard way now need to take advantage of the help and treatment offered.

Following applies not myself, but my 20 year old son.

Had been drinking over several hours at pub with all-day licence. Emerged at 2am with three friends, one of whom was drunk enough to stagger as he walked to car. Failed to notice police car parked nearby. Police waited until the engine was started then stopped son before he pulled away from kerb.

Breath 69ug

Mitigating Factors:
First offence, cooperative with police. Only intending to drive short distance (less than 1 mile) though this was probably not taken into consideration.

Aggravating Factors:
Carrying passengers.

Duty solicitor

Sentence:
18 month ban, £100 fine plus costs.

Yes, taken.

Sentence Comments:
Ban as expected, fine a lot less. Probably because unemployed and therefore not earning.

had 2 half pints of cider. just pulling off the car park and police pulled me, was not drunk at all, im currently on prozac for depression and tablets to help me sleep at night have a drink driving on licence from when i was 16, 4 years ago
breath 62ug
Mitigating Factors:
only drove on car park,
Aggravating Factors:
drink driving 4 years ago when i was 16 served 12 month ban

duty solicitor at court this thursday 29th

Drink driving. drove through police tape and crime scene got cought

Breath test lowest reading 125ug over 100 of breath

Mitigating Factors:
First driving offence, one caution from police 2years ago (drugs), full time enployment, been attending alcoholics anonymous once a week since the incident. think going to AA of my own free will went down well.

Aggravating Factors:
two passengers in the car, drove through crime scene, went very close to police officer on the road.

Yes cost £350

Sentence:
29 month ban but going to do the 25% reduction course, 6 weeks curfew (gota be home by 11pm), 18 month probation, £85 court cost.

Yes intend to take it

Sentence Comments:
was expecting worse to be honest. but lesson learnt, aint gona be putting my self through this type of stress again any time soon.

Drank wine in the evening. More than usual due to relationship issues.
In the early hours of the morning I drove to a near by 24 hour garage 2 miles away. One of my lights was out which is enough to be pulled over even if you are driving 'normally'. He knocked on my window at the garage as I got was getting out to the pumps. Told me my light was out..then smelt alcohol and breathalyzed me which came up as a fail. No other offense or factors came in to it. Was flood lit empty road to the garage. Just unlucky about the light I guess.. :-/

Breath 84ug at the station

Mitigating Factors:
No previous drink driving / criminal convictions, completely co-operation with the police start to finish, short distance driven, there were some personal reasons for driving at 2am that morning but I did not try to justify my actions with them, but they were mentioned in court.
I am very slim and small in build also which wouldn't have helped with the amount of alcohol that was still in my system, perhaps this should have been mentioned in court too.
Several officers made statements about my nice nature and my clearly honest regret at my actions. They didn't have to, and for that i am grateful.

Aggravating Factors:
non.

Yes - fee £475 ( I am pretty sure a duty solic could have done the same job. )

Sentence:
17 months ban, fine £100, costs £100

Yes to reduce ban by 25%
I definitely will be attending this in a few months. Aside from bringing my ban down to 13 months, I genuinely want to attend it to scare me off ever being that stupid again, whether I had a good reason that morning or not!

Sentence Comments:
I was told to expect 2 years and anything less would be a bonus. That was good advise as it really did soften the blow of 17 months with the course offered too. but of course I had prayed for less for a few important reasons.
I'd heard of people with higher 'ug' readings going further distances and driving recklessly getting pretty much the same ban period as me ( but bigger fines ) so I was a little low.
But it also could have been worse!

After Thoughts:
I seriously would have taken a £1000 fine to reduce my ban if that was possible (god knows how I would have paid it!)... but money is nothing compared to my job ( i can no longer travel too).. or the unbelievable life change for me and my young family for the next 13 months.
One of the worse parts of this (along with losing my license!) is knowing I know have a criminal record.

If I could go back in time..... :-/

x

Left pub, drove less than half mile down straight road, pulled by motorbike cop. According to his statement in court someone reported me. Had drank 4 and half pints over more than four hours.

Breath was 47.......Blood was 112

Mitigating Factors:

Short distance driven, good character references including two from serving policemen. Road was quiet. Have my own business which will suffer as i travel to different location each day.

Aggravating Factors:

None.

Yes. This proved quite costly as i plead not guilty at first appearance so that we could view all the evidence against me including DVD of breathalizer proceedure. Plead guilty at second appearance after viewing all evidence.

Sentence:

12 months, reduced to 9 with drivers course. £120 fine, £15 victims surcharge, £85 costs.

Yes.

Sentence Comments:

Received best available in circumstances especially given i originally pleaded not guilty and apparently you should receive less credit if you do not admit guilt at first opportunity. The court gave me full credit as if i originally pleaded guilty.

new years eve, had a bust up with gf when i got home so stupidly decided to go for a drive to 'clear my mind'. ended up going into the back of someones car at about 10mph, both cars sustained small amount of damage. I then panicked so left the scene and went home. hour or so later, police came n took me away.

Breath test - 54 micrograms

Mitigating Factors:
no previous convictions, clean licence, co-operated fully with police and admittted to everything straight away.

Aggravating Factors:
Fled the scene of an accident.

Yes...£200 but well worth it

Sentence:
Appeared in court on the 13th of this month and pleaded guilty straight away, was given a 12 month ban and £350 fine (£250 actual fine, £85 court costs and £15 surcharge). They didnt seem bothered that i was actually involved in an accident which suprised me!

Yes and will do it to reduce ban to 9 months.

Sentence Comments:
Thought the sentence was good considering i was expecting a larger fine/ban. Lesson learned and wont be making this mistake anytime soon!

Had a lot to drink the previous night at a party, then club after. Got home around 6am (taxi!). The next afternoon I went to watch a football match and had 2 pints with friends after the game (5pm). At 7pm whilst driving I was pulled over for a random breath test (Saturday 19th Dec).

Breath 60mg

Mitigating Factors:
Only had my license for 3 years, but fully clean license with no driving convictions. No criminal convictions. Cooperated fully with police. Had 2 references stating I was of a good character.

Aggravating Factors:
None

Yes, solicitor at cost of £250.

Sentence:
12 month ban, reduced to 9 months with DD rehabilitation course. £450 fine.

Yes, and I will be taking it.

Sentence Comments:
As I was in the second tier (59mg+) of the sentencing guidelines (17 to 22 months), I expected to get 17 months. The fine was about the amount I expected. I've definitely learnt my lesson (beer the night before can still be in your system. The only safe way to drive is with zero alcohol in your system!), and will not make the same mistake again.

Didn't hardly sleep all night, Had a previous hangover aswell. Started Drinking at 10pm finished at 9am. 5/6 pints, 6/7 large shots, plus a few other random whiskeys (maybe more). Hardly ate throughout.
Drove home, country lane, blind spot bend lost control went into a ditch.

Breath 148 first @9.30am
Breath 143 at station @10.10am

Mitigating Factors:
First driving offence, cooperative with police. Only intending to drive short distance (less than 4 mile) though this was probably not taken into consideration.
Medical condition, namely IBS, contributes to my food breakdown and acid levels in body (GP note provided). Live with a very small and dependent family and handle family business. No one else in vehicle, No public or private property destroyed. Also told court, I slept for 4 hours during the night and drove home under the impression I was reasonably okay to drive.
Also a note from Doctor explaining I feel depressed and suffering from anxiety etc etc since incident.
Full insurance etc.
2 Good references from Government officials. P.S. DRESS SMART!

Aggravating Factors:
One previous caution for drunk and disorderly over 7 years ago (court fine).

First instance, went humble and alone. Court refused to see me until I get a duty solicitor(as reading was so high).
Same duty solicitor for sentencing.
Cost: £250

Sentence:
29 month ban (after Driving course, orginally 36months)
£85 court fees
180 hours community service (originally 240hours, but reduced due to guilty plea)
N.B. If given a fine (not court fee), community service is not given. Always one or the other.

Yes, Soon. Cost £150-£200.

Sentence Comments:
Ban standard. Fine not given (was expecting something like £1000). Community service is very high, may appeal as it will take me a year to complete as it is 1day p/week.
Thankfully no prison sentence. LEARNT MY LESSON? HELL YEAH!
I'm posting this for anyone that maybe in a similar predicament, I know the how nerve racking such a high reading and big mistake this is. Not to mention how aweful the waiting for sentencing can be. Also, don't always listen to what solicitors say! MITIGATION IS KEY.

Last edited:
Had been drinking alot the night before. Had two glasses of Brandy in the morning. Went shopping in the afternoon, felt stressed up and decided to go for a drink. Had one too many, drove the car home and was stopped by Police. I was put in the cell for 8 hours.

Breath reading was 85.

Mitigating Factors:
Had no previous convictions, clean licence. Cooperated well with the Police.

Aggravating Factors:
None.

Duty Solicitor

Sentence:
20 month ban (reduced to 16 with the course) £250 fine.

Yes - will do the course.

Sentence Comments:
Is was a smooth process, Duty Solicitor did her best and was really good. Being on Jobseekers, the court cost and fine is low. Was hoping for 17 month ban but only an extra three months more but will definitly do the Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course to reduce lengh of ban.

It was a nerve racking experience but relieved going to court is now over. Will now get on with the rest of my life and vow never to drink drive again.

had a few drinks at my sisters decided to drive home

Breath 71

Mitigating Factors:
clean driving record, no previous drink driving / criminal convictions, co-operation with the police.

Aggravating Factors:
none
Yes duty solicitor
Sentence:
18 month ban £200 fine
Yes will be taking asap

Sentence Comments:
better than i expected

Father in law left working mens club as usual after 3 or more pints of lager

Blood result 113mgs/100mls
Mitigating Factors:
Over 40 years driving- clean licence. ONLY because he had never been caught. He would take the quieter back roads home. Often arrived home unable to park the car in the garage
Aggravating Factors:
None that I can think of as he only argues back to others he feels 'superior to'

Used postal guilty plea. Didnt think he needed to get legal help as he was guilty. Attended for sentencing with only his son.

Sentence:
1 year driving ban and £300 fine. Not sure how much nearly dying during the 10 weeks in ITU with 4 fractured vertebrae ( 2 in the neck and 2 in the chest) ribs and sternum influenced the decision.
He was 69 when the accident happened and his family provide a free taxi service- why would he need to get his license back?

Sentence Comments:
Far too lenient The injury he sustained give you an idea of what might have happened to someone else if he had collided with another car, cyclist or pedestrian instead of a tree.
He to this day still feels hard done by. He has a total lack of guilt for what he did or could have done, For 10 weeks he was oblivious of the collateral impact the crash had on his family. Even now he has no awareness of the problem he caused because he is protected from it by his family. They dont want to cause him more upset- Fools I say.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off