Drink driving medical please don’t judge

Convicted Driver Insurance

Chefysam

Hey people. Hoping to get some advice. Please don’t judge I made a mistake and am paying for it 200% now! I had a crash and blew 101 on the breathalyser so it makes me a high risk offender. I know I know I don’t need the lectures believe me! I have just completed the drink driving course which will reduce my ban from 12months to 9 months yes I got off very easy in that aspect I know but I lost my job my relationship my parents my house pretty much my entire life I am now on a serious course of antidepressants and I also take co codamol for a previous broken leg that’s never healed properly. I need to do a dvla medical to get my license back but I’ve been on co codamol for around 5 years I’ don’t believe I’m dependent on them I can run out and be okay for a few days but I get in so much pain when I don’t take them that I don’t believe I can go more than a few days without them totally I can easily cut them down but to not have any will put me in agony and I’m a chef on my feet for 12 hours a day! I know they will be in my medical records and will come up in a blood test but would this be something I could fail on? Could my antidepressants be something I could fail on? I only started taking them because of this idiotic mistake of mine which I brought on myself I know. But i am actually a good person who’s just down on her luck and in need of some help.

Hey Chefysam,

You've accepted responsibility and are sorry for what you've done, I doubt there's anyone on this forum that is going to have a go at you - given that the majority of users on this forum have either been convicted of drink/drunk drive.

I've only just woken up, so I'll keep this brief, for now.

I've been on strong painkillers, for various reasons, for 20+ years. I had absolutely no issues what so ever passing the medical. If you've not go any history of drug abuse (be it illegal or prescription) then you'll be fine.

I'll try and answer your question a bit better once I've woken up properly.

Take care :)

I've had chance to re-read your question. The following advice is based solely on my own experience and current medical conditions.

I am now on a serious course of antidepressants and I also take co codamol for a previous broken leg that’s never healed properly. I need to do a dvla medical to get my license back but I’ve been on co codamol for around 5 years I’ don’t believe I’m dependent on them I can run out and be okay for a few days but I get in so much pain when I don’t take them that I don’t believe I can go more than a few days without them

As far as the antidepressants are concerned, if your GP has said you are safe to drive whilst taking them and you feel safe to drive whilst taking them (they don't make you drowsy), you'll be ok. As for the co-codamol, the same thing applies. For both the antidepressants and the co-codamol, as long as you are taking them as prescribed by your doctor, there won't be an issue.

As far as being dependant on the co-codamol, physically you will be and I suspect that there's a good chance that you are psychologically dependant too - as mentioned before, that isn't a problem.

I was in a similar situation to where you are now. I take 60mg oxycodone every 12 hours and was on Mirtazapine during the driving licence application process. I had my oxycodone reduced from 60mg to 40mg because I thought that it would look better on my application. I managed about 3 days before I had to go back to my GP to have my dosage increased. After explaining to him why I'd asked for the reduction he told me that I shouldn't have done that and it wouldn't affect the chances of me getting my licence back. He was right, and I was granted a 1 year driving licence.

I hope this helps.

Take care and good luck :)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off