Drink Driving Insurance Quotes, Declaring Conviction, Help

Convicted Driver Insurance

IWAFI

Hi,

My drink driving ban is due to expire at the end of this month (Oct 2017). It's a 9 month ban and it began at the end of January 2017.

When applying for insurance, it asks me if I have any unspent motoring convictions.

Is my conviction considered spent, when the ban expires?

If not, when does it become 'spent'?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

My drink driving ban is due to expire at the end of this month (Oct 2017). It's a 9 month ban and it began at the end of January 2017.

When applying for insurance, it asks me if I have any unspent motoring convictions.

Is my conviction considered spent, when the ban expires?

If not, when does it become 'spent'?

Thanks in advance.

A driving licence endorsement has a rehabilitation period of 5 years before it becomes spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 as described here.

You will have to declare your drink driving conviction when obtaining insurance quotes for a period of 5 years from the date your were convicted of the drink driving offence, until it becomes spent under the ROA 1974.

Last edited:
A driving licence endorsement has a rehabilitation period of 5 years before it becomes spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 as described here.

You will have to declare your drink driving conviction when obtaining insurance quotes for a period of 5 years from the date your were convicted of the drink driving offence, until it becomes spent under the ROA 1974.

When I used an online calculator, it said my disqualification + fine will be completely spent on 31/01/2018?

I think you are using the wrong calculator. There are different criteria now for criminal convictions where there is a disqualification and the offence is spent at the end of the ban. This does NOT apply to motoring disqualifications and the moderator is right to say that the conviction is not spent for drink driving until 5 years have elapsed from the date of conviction.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off