Drink Driving in Germany on a e-scooter, UK National

Convicted Driver Insurance

Rathmell84

A few months ago I was in Hannover, Germany, on a night out and had quite a few drinks. When I decided to go back to the hotel, I made the stupid mistake of getting on a e-scooter. As I was around the corner from the hotel when I was stopped by a police officer. Breathalysed at the scene and failed. Taken to a local police station for a blood test. I was asked for my passport and I explained that I did not have it with me and it was in the hotel. I explained to the police and the doctor I only had my work ID card which is a US Government ID card. Immediately after presenting it to the officer and the doctor, I was told I could leave. I stood up and said ok and waited for something like a summons or a fixed penalty fine. I was told to leave the police station NOW.

At first I thought that I had go away with it and didn't hear anything for a month or so, when I received a letter from the Hannover Police Commission stating that they intended to prosecute me for the misdemeanour of drink driving whilst in charge of a e-scooter. They gave me the choice of attending the court or submitting a proxy plea in English. I pleaded guilty and expressed my regret for my actions and although it might seem naive, I did not comprehend the implications. I also spoke to one of the court ushers on the telephone and I asked him what would be the typical out come. Basically he told me it depended on who the judge was and how he was feeling. He said it could be a substantial fine or a driving ban in Germany.

At the moment I am a temporary worker in Germany, I work for a UK company and contracted to work for the US Department of Defence. I am not classed a full time resident, however I have a German address which is the address I gave at the Police station when I was booked in before seeing the doctor. I still have my UK driving licence and don't plan on changing it for a Germany one after Brexit.

With all been said and done. Could the German authorities, if banned in Germany, inform the DVLA and ban me in the UK or put a DD code on my license?
Do misdemeanour show on German / EU police checks ( Good conduct records)?
If I am issued a "substantial" fine and do not pay, would the German courts apply to the UK courts to enforce the fine?

topchippyles

A few months ago I was in Hannover, Germany, on a night out and had quite a few drinks. When I decided to go back to the hotel, I made the stupid mistake of getting on a e-scooter. As I was around the corner from the hotel when I was stopped by a police officer. Breathalysed at the scene and failed. Taken to a local police station for a blood test. I was asked for my passport and I explained that I did not have it with me and it was in the hotel. I explained to the police and the doctor I only had my work ID card which is a US Government ID card. Immediately after presenting it to the officer and the doctor, I was told I could leave. I stood up and said ok and waited for something like a summons or a fixed penalty fine. I was told to leave the police station NOW.

At first I thought that I had go away with it and didn't hear anything for a month or so, when I received a letter from the Hannover Police Commission stating that they intended to prosecute me for the misdemeanour of drink driving whilst in charge of a e-scooter. They gave me the choice of attending the court or submitting a proxy plea in English. I pleaded guilty and expressed my regret for my actions and although it might seem naive, I did not comprehend the implications. I also spoke to one of the court ushers on the telephone and I asked him what would be the typical out come. Basically he told me it depended on who the judge was and how he was feeling. He said it could be a substantial fine or a driving ban in Germany.

At the moment I am a temporary worker in Germany, I work for a UK company and contracted to work for the US Department of Defence. I am not classed a full time resident, however I have a German address which is the address I gave at the Police station when I was booked in before seeing the doctor. I still have my UK driving licence and don't plan on changing it for a Germany one after Brexit.

With all been said and done. Could the German authorities, if banned in Germany, inform the DVLA and ban me in the UK or put a DD code on my license?
Do misdemeanour show on German / EU police checks ( Good conduct records)?
If I am issued a "substantial" fine and do not pay, would the German courts apply to the UK courts to enforce the fine?
Any ban imposed in germany does not affect you in the uk.