Drink driving court case

Convicted Driver Insurance

Depressedgirl123

Hello I m looking for some help. I stupidly drunk drove last week hit 3 parked cars and got arrested. Luckily no one was hurt but it could have been a different story.I blew 113 so was 3 times over the limit. I have court next week and I m petrified. I ve never been in trouble before but I can’t see a way out of this. I know I m looking at a ban, a fine and maybe a community order. I feel so ashamed, embarrassed and so so sorry for what I have done. I have a solicitor booked. I was thinking of writing a letter to the court before I attend but has anyone else done this? Thanks so much I feel so so upset I don’t know what to do for the best.

Hello I m looking for some help. I stupidly drunk drove last week hit 3 parked cars and got arrested. Luckily no one was hurt but it could have been a different story.I blew 113 so was 3 times over the limit. I have court next week and I m petrified. I ve never been in trouble before but I can’t see a way out of this. I know I m looking at a ban, a fine and maybe a community order. I feel so ashamed, embarrassed and so so sorry for what I have done. I have a solicitor booked. I was thinking of writing a letter to the court before I attend but has anyone else done this? Thanks so much I feel so so upset I don’t know what to do for the best.
We've all been there.

If you work/volunteer etc. try to get some supporting letters that say how out of character this is for you, You can ask your solicitor to say the same about you or write a letter instead. Everything gets handed in at court on the day. Dress smartly. Make sure your solicitor asks for the drink driving education course, which will reduce your ban.

You're looking at a ban starting at just under two years but could be more. Have you told your insurance company about the accidents? Sure somebody who knows more about insurance in this case will be able to advise you what to do.

We've all been there.

If you work/volunteer etc. try to get some supporting letters that say how out of character this is for you, You can ask your solicitor to say the same about you or write a letter instead. Everything gets handed in at court on the day. Dress smartly. Make sure your solicitor asks for the drink driving education course, which will reduce your ban.

You're looking at a ban starting at just under two years but could be more. Have you told your insurance company about the accidents? Sure somebody who knows more about insurance in this case will be able to advise you what to do.
Thanks for messaging. I m going to ask for a letter from my employer and one from the doctors. It’s totally out if character for me. I thought it would be over 2 years to be honest I don’t even want to drive I have use of my fathers car but can’t bring myself to use it.
My insurance company know but they won’t pay out for my car understandably as I was under the influence of alcohol.they are paying out for the damage to the others last time I spoke to them. Do I need to do anything else with regards to the insurance company? My head is completely scrambled. Thanks

Hi, I also hit 3 parked cars when I was over the limit. I blew 135. I’m in Scotland so this was about 6 times over the limit. Thankfully no-one was hurt, but the very worst thing was that I had my child in the car.

This was last year and my insurance claim is still open - I scrapped my car the following week.

I received a 16 month ban and a £420 fine. I thought that was incredibly lenient considering what I’d done.

You’ll feel a sense of relief once the court case is over and done with, but I’m afraid that the shame and the guilt will be with you for a long time.

Good luck.

Thanks for messaging. I m going to ask for a letter from my employer and one from the doctors. It’s totally out if character for me. I thought it would be over 2 years to be honest I don’t even want to drive I have use of my fathers car but can’t bring myself to use it.
My insurance company know but they won’t pay out for my car understandably as I was under the influence of alcohol.they are paying out for the damage to the others last time I spoke to them. Do I need to do anything else with regards to the insurance company? My head is completely scrambled. Thanks
I think, note this word, you should cancel the policy. It's much better if you cancel it rather than the insurance company. Others here will advise on this I'm sure.

Have you thought what to do with your car? Is it economically viable to repair it? Keep it or sell it?

I think, note this word, you should cancel the policy. It's much better if you cancel it rather than the insurance company. Others here will advise on this I'm sure.

Have you thought what to do with your car? Is it economically viable to repair it? Keep it or sell it?
Can I cancel the policy? I didn’t know if I could or not? I ll do that though. I thought it would need to be active as the other people will be claiming. Maybe me being a bit nieve.
My car was impounded but it’s being recovered I have a friend who is going to take a look at it to see if it’s salvageable. He’s seen it but not yet seen the damage under the bonnet.Hopefully he can do something with it and I can sell it then.

Hi, I also hit 3 parked cars when I was over the limit. I blew 135. I’m in Scotland so this was about 6 times over the limit. Thankfully no-one was hurt, but the very worst thing was that I had my child in the car.

This was last year and my insurance claim is still open - I scrapped my car the following week.

I received a 16 month ban and a £420 fine. I thought that was incredibly lenient considering what I’d done.

You’ll feel a sense of relief once the court case is over and done with, but I’m afraid that the shame and the guilt will be with you for a long time.

Good luck.
Thank you I feel so bad upset, ashamed and incredibly guilty for what I have done. I m sure it will be with me for a long time.
Glad you and your child are ok.
Did you cancel your insurance after the accident?

I didn't write a letter, but a Duty Solicitor sat down with me before my hearing and took bullet-points of all the things in my life that had led up to the point of me appearing in court for drink driving (looking back, there was quite a lot!). He read them all out like a short story, and the Magistrates certainly all sat and listened. Whether it made any difference, I'll never know, but one of the Maistrates did tell me to 'make sure I look after myself' as I left the room. It certainly wont do any harm, be it in a letter or actually read out to them.

Thank you I feel so bad upset, ashamed and incredibly guilty for what I have done. I m sure it will be with me for a long time.
Glad you and your child are ok.
Did you cancel your insurance after the accident?
I didn’t cancel my insurance. When I went online to do it a message came up saying that as a claim was still open then I’d still have to pay the full years cost. It’s due for renewal in August so I just won’t renew. My accident happened in Oct and just checking my insurance again today and the claim is still open. I haven’t phoned them - I’ve been sticking my head in the sand. I don’t think I’ll apply for my licence back once my ban ends.

Hopefully you aren't with Admiral insurance - they are likely to wait till the ban is over and you're getting back to normal and then pursue you for all the 3rd party costs they paid out. If you are I'd search for the Admiral threads- specifically Depressed Dad who is an expert on them and they way they work..

Fingers crossed this isnt relevant to you as there are some pretty unpleasant stories, if you are, then might be best to know what might happen.

Most of us here in one way or another, with different levels of severity have been where you are and felt exactly the same as you do. It may not seem like it now but you will get through this. For many of us things seemed brighter once court was out of the way, for me at least it meant a bit of closure and it became a case of dealing with the ban.

You've made a mistake, and nobody was physically hurt so don't let this define you.

Use this forum, you will find non-judgemental, sympathetic eyes and ears and get some advice (like asking your solicitor to make sure they ask for the drink driving course in court on the day) and somewhere to just rant if you need to. Share your experience to help you get it off your chest and to help others. This place has been a small ray of light for many of us, you will hopefully see the same,

Using a solicitor is a personal choice for court (I used one as I wasn't sure what to expect), do your letter(s) as references from employers etc, and as has been said before dress smart, show remorse. You can't escape the ban so now its just a case of minimising the punishment if you can by being prepared.

Keep your chin up, this is not the end of the world !

Hopefully you aren't with Admiral insurance - they are likely to wait till the ban is over and you're getting back to normal and then pursue you for all the 3rd party costs they paid out. If you are I'd search for the Admiral threads- specifically Depressed Dad who is an expert on them and they way they work..

Fingers crossed this isnt relevant to you as there are some pretty unpleasant stories, if you are, then might be best to know what might happen.
This is very true. Depending on your insurer (it isn’t just Admiral now with these clauses) the nightmare keeps going when a third party is involved.

Hey lovely, I blew 106 and got a 24 month ban reduced to 18 months with the drink drive course. You'll be okay, good luck and thinking of you. If you are low income, you maybe entitled to legal aid. Worth asking the solicitor you had at the police station?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off