Drink Driving Conviction -Security Job

Convicted Driver Insurance

sandyhill

All,
I have pleaded guilty in court for drink driving and got following sentences.
1.Banned for 24 months because I was a new driver.25% discount if completed drink driving course.I am doing now.
2. Community sentences for 80 hours.-Completed already.
3.Court fine of £170.-Paid.
It was happened in March 2019.
I haven't told Security Industry Authority because I thought police would inform if it was a serious case in regards my job or court would wrote to SIA. I told police and court I am working in security industry.
Now I knew its my duty to inform SIA.
I am reluctant I may lose my licence if I report them now (delay).However people say,
Could someone has previous experiences or moderator here please advise me the best way to deal with this.Your positive support would help me greatly to reclaim my job and life.
In another note I know I have to inform my employer, so how could be the best way to save my job?. Driving is not part of my job, however I work under SIA liscence.
Many thanks for your help and support.

Drink Driving Offences and SIA Criminality Criteria
Reference NumberFOI 0017
Publication Date21 April 2017
RequestI have recently been charged with drink driving I need to know if this may affect my ability to renew my door supervision licence. Please could you get back to me ASAP so that I can start the process of renewal.
ResponseDrink Driving does not constitute a relevant offence as part of our licensing criteria. Your full criminal record will however be taken into account in the course of processing your application.
The offences we consider are explained on page 36 of our Get Licensed booklet (PDF, download size: 889kb). The full list of relevant offences can be found on pages 53-69. Relevant driving offences can be found on page 69.
Documents

We use cookies on this website, you can read about them here. ACCEPT COOKIES DECLINE COOKIES

Last edited:
I also have found the above reply from SIA on google so could someone confirm that is correct and I am still ok for SIA licence even if I am delay in informing SIA?

THANKS

Last edited:
Drink driving is NOT on the ‘No No’ list of offences barring a person from having a SIA licence BUT there is a requirement to notify them of any conviction:

Taken from conditions of licence at https://www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk/Documents/licensing/sia_get_licensed.pdf

“• tell the SIA of any convictions, cautions or warnings, or charges for relevant offences. This
applies whether committed in the UK or another country“

“SIA licences are issued subject to certain conditions, which Licence Holders must agree to and abide by. If they do not the SIA may:
• issue a written warning, which can be taken into account in future decisions on a licence.
• revoke or suspend a licence.
• prosecute a Licence Holder. Not following licence conditions is a criminal offence under Section 9 of the Act. The maximum penalty for not following licence conditions is six months in prison and/or a fine up to the statutory maximum.”

Thank you Price1367 for your link and advice. I want to make sure all have done thoroughly !
I haven't informed them since March 2019 because I wasn't aware of that and I thought police and court would have written to SIA or emoloyer if the case was serious. I TOLD THEM my job status.And its not a new license so can't I tell SIA at the time of renewal instead?. If needed to inform now what would be the best way???
Have you had any experiences on it before or any other fellow have similar expreinces, could you please share here?.
Many thanks

I have reread the requirement to notify the SIA of offences....

“tell the SIA of any convictions, cautions or warnings, or charges for relevant offences. This
applies whether committed in the UK or another country;“

I think I have read it wrongly. I read it as “tell the SIA of any convictions or cautions or warnings,............ OR charges for relevant offences.”

I was thrown by the comma after warnings and I now feel that all the words relate to relevant offences, of which drink driving is NOT one. Therefore I feel you do NOT have to inform the SIA. You will, however, have to discuss it with them at renewal because it will show up on the DBS check.

I have reread the requirement to notify the SIA of offences....

“tell the SIA of any convictions, cautions or warnings, or charges for relevant offences. This
applies whether committed in the UK or another country;“

I think I have read it wrongly. I read it as “tell the SIA of any convictions or cautions or warnings,............ OR charges for relevant offences.”

I was thrown by the comma after warnings and I now feel that all the words relate to relevant offences, of which drink driving is NOT one. Therefore I feel you do NOT have to inform the SIA. You will, however, have to discuss it with them at renewal because it will show up on the DBS check.
Many thanks Price,
Hope you wouldn't take otherwise but could you share me that you practice the law?. People here are to give their best on their knowledge so that tgey support each other and sometime it may go wrong and we get penalised.
If you carry on legal practice you are the best one to guide me.Further to my queries would you please confirm its a matter of not to tell SIA anything or just inform them and has no impact on license?
Again I am thankful for your helping soul.
Regards

I do not practice law, I was a police officer for 30 years and since then have been involved with Drink Drive Rehabilitation Courses for convicted drink drivers.
If you have any doubts about if you should report it or not then speak with your employers and see what they say.
They could get into trouble with the SIA for employing someone who is ineligible and I am sure they will have dealt with situations like you face before.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off